BASINGSTOKE Hockey Club ladies remain undefeated this season after a 3-2 friendly win at home to higher league opposition in the form of Wycombe.

The away team started well, with attacking play down their right, but the home defence held firm.

The hosts scored on their first break forward as Fi Holdcroft touched home from Claire Bowman’s cross shot.

Wycombe equalised, but Basingstoke looked dangerous as Steph Hazell and Janine White pushed forward from the back.

With home coach Andy Preston able to rotate his 15-player squad, the intensity was kept high and Catriona Bausor made it 2-1.

Holdcroft then slipped with the goal at her mercy, having done the hard work and rounded the goalkeeper.

However, she made amends on the next play as she slammed the ball home into an empty net for a 3-1 lead at half-time.

The second-half started with chances at both ends. Basingstoke’s Jo Pett and Chrissie Waller both went close.

Wycombe made some good last-ditch clearances, as did the home side through Tanya Finch and Ruth Crawford.

Wycombe did pull a goal back, but it was not enough to draw level as Basingstoke won 3-2.

The ladies’ second team also enjoyed a friendly victory over Wycombe, coming out on top 2-1 after they trailed by a single goal at the interval.

Basingstoke found new life in the second half and a shot from Bev Mackay hit the post.

The same player made a run into the D with a diagonal cross that found Sarah Mainprise on the far right to strike home. Tara Stone made a skilful run up the wing and converted a second.

The ladies’ fourths drew 1-1 away to Romsey in a well-matched league game.

The first goal came after the break as a free hit from Emma May outside the D was picked up by Helen Garrett and an on-target strike was deflected in at the left post by Katie Smith.

Basingstoke managed to keep Romsey at bay until late on, when they grabbed an equaliser.

In another league outing, the ladies’ fifth team drew 2-2 at home to Hamble. Basingstoke showed a vast improvement and held the visitors back throughout the first half, with goalkeeper Lily Lawson in fine form.

After the break, the home side broke the deadlock after a battle through the Hamble D resulted in a goal for Michelle Rounding.

Hamble fought back and tied the game, but, with 10 minutes left, Basingstoke took the lead again as Rounding scored from close range.

The visitors then made it 2-2 and in the final minute Basingstoke were awarded with a short corner, but they were unable to convert it for the winner.