Whitchurch lose at home to Horndean

Basingstoke Gazette: Luke Walker went close for Whitchurch Luke Walker went close for Whitchurch

WHITCHURCH United returned to Longmeadow after the Christmas break to host Horndean on a heavy pitch on last Saturday, writes Kerry Miller.

Horndean set up with a 4-5-1 formation and immediately made their intentions clear by quickly putting Whitchurch under pressure and with just ten minutes played Nathan Paxton’s well struck volley gave the visitors the lead. 

Horndean made good use of the extra man in the centre of the park with George Way picking his passes and splitting the Whitchurch midfield and this pressure earned Horndean a free-kick which struck the bar.

Curtis Angell drove forward for Whitchurch and his shot from the edge of the 18-yard box was tipped over by Stefano Clarke then with two minutes of the first half left Horndean’s Tommy Woodward and Pa Touray came together with both committed to win the ball.

It was very quickly evident that Woodward was in pain and referee Tony Walsh called time on the half while an ambulance was called.

With both teams aware of the seriousness of the first half injury there was a sombre start to the second half. 

With Dave Asker replacing the injured Nic Turpin, Shane Lock was pushed up front but on the hour Liam Gilbert won a penalty which he converted giving Horndean a two goal advantage. 

Luke Walker then drove into space and was one on one with Clarke but he narrowed the angle and denied Whitchurch’s leading scorer.

Whitchurch were more into the game and Clarke was forced to make another save from Isaac Sedu then Scott Hassell shot over but it was not to be. 

Whitchurch were later advised that Woodward had broken his tibia and fibula and would require an operation and the club would like to wish him a speedy recovery and hope to see him back playing as soon as possible.

Jam Boys’ boss Jim Macey was disappointed and is looking for a vast improvement in time for his squads hectic January which includes three cup games and five league games.

“We didn’t get going and it seems we are always the same after a break which is frustrating,” he said.

“We had everyone back so we had no excuses but Horndean stuck to their game plan and they had a very good midfield.”

“We had chances although I thought their penalty was a bit soft although the referee had a good game.”
Macey felt that he was let down by a couple of his players who seemed to be ‘going through the motions’ and has already acted by adding to his squad.

Downton’s Danny Finnegan has signed and can play anywhere through the middle which Macey describes as “a big asset” and he also expects to include former Andover FC man Joe Harris and both will play parts in the hectic schedule.

Whitchurch travel to Follard Sports on Saturday in the Wessex League Premier Division.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree