Ward-Prowse targets top six finish despite defeat

Basingstoke Gazette: JAMES WARD-PROWSE JAMES WARD-PROWSE

JAMES Ward-Prowse targeted a top-six finish despte a disappointing end to 2013 at Everton.

The Saints midfielder, recalled to the starting line-up after successive appearances as a substitute, saw Seamus Coleman go past to give Everton a first-half lead.

But he admitted that Saints should have secured a draw after equalising through Gaston Ramirez’s sensational strike.

He said: “We’re disappointed and angry with ourselves for letting a draw go after conceding so quickly after getting back in game with a good goal.

“I felt like second half was much stronger than the first and it was a great strike that got us back in the game.

“But the beauty of this time of year is that the next game is only around the corner. There will soon be a chance to rectify this result, starting against Chelsea.

“It’s a good place to push on from where we were last year, hopefully to a place in the top six. As long as we keep working hard in training I’m sure that’s a possibility.

“The manager told us afterwards to keep doing what we’re doing and the philosophy won’t change. The sky’s the limit for us.

“We’ve still got half the season to come and we’ll spend each day trying to keep improving.”

Ward-Prowse was very new to the Premier League when Saints lost the corresponding game 3-1 in September 2012.

“A year down the line from the last time we came here, I feel we’re a lot stronger in the way we approach games and the way we’re playing,” he added.

“The club’s taken massive strides in a short amount of time and that’s down to the players working hard to not only develop a good football team but a good football club.”

Meanwhile, Dejan Lovren believes Saints deserved a point from his first game since recovering from the virus that ruled him out of the 3-0 win at Cardiff.

“We definitely deserved more and at one point it looked like we would get a result, but we didn’t achieve the game we wanted,” he said.

“We just stopped after scoring. We played well, it was a really difficult game but we thought we had done enough and we can’t afford to do that.

“Now we need to keep our heads up for another tough game against Chelsea.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:53am Mon 30 Dec 13

andoru says...

Good to see that the ambition and belief is still with the players. However I am personally training myself to not be disappointed with mid-table. I might have got a bit carried away earlier in the season and turned into a Man Utd fan who takes a top six finish for granted. There'll be no shame in finishing where we are right now. The team have done us proud (so far).
Good to see that the ambition and belief is still with the players. However I am personally training myself to not be disappointed with mid-table. I might have got a bit carried away earlier in the season and turned into a Man Utd fan who takes a top six finish for granted. There'll be no shame in finishing where we are right now. The team have done us proud (so far). andoru

8:18am Mon 30 Dec 13

the south coast is ours says...

i agree fans have to remember where we were a few years ago, brighton won league one and look where they are now compared to us.
i agree fans have to remember where we were a few years ago, brighton won league one and look where they are now compared to us. the south coast is ours

9:35am Mon 30 Dec 13

JohnItaly says...

We have come an awful long way in a very short time and the club has received plaudits from across the football world for what has been achieved and rightly so. Under the leadership of NC - a man once vilified for his treatment of Nigel Adkins but now almost revered for his vision and the progress he has made - I am very confident the club will go from strength to strength. However (and there is a "but" here) I would prefer progress to be controlled and steady. A headlong rush into Europe and we might end up like Swansea who are languishing mid-table with little hope of European football next season. I would be very happy to finish at our current position (9th) giving time for our youngsters to develop and perhaps add a couple of experienced players to add depth to the squad.
We have come an awful long way in a very short time and the club has received plaudits from across the football world for what has been achieved and rightly so. Under the leadership of NC - a man once vilified for his treatment of Nigel Adkins but now almost revered for his vision and the progress he has made - I am very confident the club will go from strength to strength. However (and there is a "but" here) I would prefer progress to be controlled and steady. A headlong rush into Europe and we might end up like Swansea who are languishing mid-table with little hope of European football next season. I would be very happy to finish at our current position (9th) giving time for our youngsters to develop and perhaps add a couple of experienced players to add depth to the squad. JohnItaly

10:11am Mon 30 Dec 13

Clever Dick says...

As was pointed out last night on MOTD we have won only once since VW got injured and this was ufortunately just before probably our toughest run of games. Morgan being out certainly didn't help and having "blind Pugh" Clutterbrain as the ref never helps us either. Quite simply he is incompetent. We havn't been dumped big time by any side we have played and our upcoming fixtures look a lot easier on paper. A good run of just two or three wins would make that top 6 finish still a reality, especially if we can get back to full strength sooner than later.
As was pointed out last night on MOTD we have won only once since VW got injured and this was ufortunately just before probably our toughest run of games. Morgan being out certainly didn't help and having "blind Pugh" Clutterbrain as the ref never helps us either. Quite simply he is incompetent. We havn't been dumped big time by any side we have played and our upcoming fixtures look a lot easier on paper. A good run of just two or three wins would make that top 6 finish still a reality, especially if we can get back to full strength sooner than later. Clever Dick

10:14am Mon 30 Dec 13

Rising_Son says...

I will be happy if we play every match with the intention of winning it. I won't be disappointed if we get into Europe, and I won't be disappointed if we don't.
I will be happy if we play every match with the intention of winning it. I won't be disappointed if we get into Europe, and I won't be disappointed if we don't. Rising_Son

11:11am Mon 30 Dec 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Rising_Son wrote:
I will be happy if we play every match with the intention of winning it. I won't be disappointed if we get into Europe, and I won't be disappointed if we don't.
Forgive me, but I find that to be an odd statement, is there ever a Premier game where we have intentionally put out a team with no intention to win it? I have not seen one game where we have attempted to shut up shop and get a draw or put a team out without a chance, we always seem to go for a win and that may have cost us a few points because we are too cavalier. I agree with you about European qualification, we are not quite ready for that yet in my opinion, consolidate a mid table position and go on from there. A bit negative you say, well I see it as being realistic, if we are rewarded witha place in Europe I won't complain.
[quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: I will be happy if we play every match with the intention of winning it. I won't be disappointed if we get into Europe, and I won't be disappointed if we don't.[/p][/quote]Forgive me, but I find that to be an odd statement, is there ever a Premier game where we have intentionally put out a team with no intention to win it? I have not seen one game where we have attempted to shut up shop and get a draw or put a team out without a chance, we always seem to go for a win and that may have cost us a few points because we are too cavalier. I agree with you about European qualification, we are not quite ready for that yet in my opinion, consolidate a mid table position and go on from there. A bit negative you say, well I see it as being realistic, if we are rewarded witha place in Europe I won't complain. OSPREYSAINT

11:34am Mon 30 Dec 13

Rising_Son says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Rising_Son wrote:
I will be happy if we play every match with the intention of winning it. I won't be disappointed if we get into Europe, and I won't be disappointed if we don't.
Forgive me, but I find that to be an odd statement, is there ever a Premier game where we have intentionally put out a team with no intention to win it? I have not seen one game where we have attempted to shut up shop and get a draw or put a team out without a chance, we always seem to go for a win and that may have cost us a few points because we are too cavalier. I agree with you about European qualification, we are not quite ready for that yet in my opinion, consolidate a mid table position and go on from there. A bit negative you say, well I see it as being realistic, if we are rewarded witha place in Europe I won't complain.
I didn't make the comment because I thought we played to lose or even draw. I want us to continue to play to win. If it takes us to Europe, so be it. If it doesn't, well, it doesn't.

Also, remember pessimism and realism are not synonymous. In recent years realism has been closer to the optimism of the happy clappers like you and me.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: I will be happy if we play every match with the intention of winning it. I won't be disappointed if we get into Europe, and I won't be disappointed if we don't.[/p][/quote]Forgive me, but I find that to be an odd statement, is there ever a Premier game where we have intentionally put out a team with no intention to win it? I have not seen one game where we have attempted to shut up shop and get a draw or put a team out without a chance, we always seem to go for a win and that may have cost us a few points because we are too cavalier. I agree with you about European qualification, we are not quite ready for that yet in my opinion, consolidate a mid table position and go on from there. A bit negative you say, well I see it as being realistic, if we are rewarded witha place in Europe I won't complain.[/p][/quote]I didn't make the comment because I thought we played to lose or even draw. I want us to continue to play to win. If it takes us to Europe, so be it. If it doesn't, well, it doesn't. Also, remember pessimism and realism are not synonymous. In recent years realism has been closer to the optimism of the happy clappers like you and me. Rising_Son

12:46pm Mon 30 Dec 13

jonbat says...

Anyone know how Saints v Chelsea is being screened on BT at 3.00pm,..did.nt think they're allowed to show live games at this time.
Anyone know how Saints v Chelsea is being screened on BT at 3.00pm,..did.nt think they're allowed to show live games at this time. jonbat

4:02pm Mon 30 Dec 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

jonbat wrote:
Anyone know how Saints v Chelsea is being screened on BT at 3.00pm,..did.nt think they're allowed to show live games at this time.
I think that only applies to normal Saturdays.
[quote][p][bold]jonbat[/bold] wrote: Anyone know how Saints v Chelsea is being screened on BT at 3.00pm,..did.nt think they're allowed to show live games at this time.[/p][/quote]I think that only applies to normal Saturdays. OSPREYSAINT

4:05pm Mon 30 Dec 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Rising_Son wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Rising_Son wrote:
I will be happy if we play every match with the intention of winning it. I won't be disappointed if we get into Europe, and I won't be disappointed if we don't.
Forgive me, but I find that to be an odd statement, is there ever a Premier game where we have intentionally put out a team with no intention to win it? I have not seen one game where we have attempted to shut up shop and get a draw or put a team out without a chance, we always seem to go for a win and that may have cost us a few points because we are too cavalier. I agree with you about European qualification, we are not quite ready for that yet in my opinion, consolidate a mid table position and go on from there. A bit negative you say, well I see it as being realistic, if we are rewarded witha place in Europe I won't complain.
I didn't make the comment because I thought we played to lose or even draw. I want us to continue to play to win. If it takes us to Europe, so be it. If it doesn't, well, it doesn't.

Also, remember pessimism and realism are not synonymous. In recent years realism has been closer to the optimism of the happy clappers like you and me.
That is how I read it, but you know how some people on here can turn around what you say and make it into something completely different, with you 100% on what you are saying, some want too much, too soon, it won't happen.
[quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: I will be happy if we play every match with the intention of winning it. I won't be disappointed if we get into Europe, and I won't be disappointed if we don't.[/p][/quote]Forgive me, but I find that to be an odd statement, is there ever a Premier game where we have intentionally put out a team with no intention to win it? I have not seen one game where we have attempted to shut up shop and get a draw or put a team out without a chance, we always seem to go for a win and that may have cost us a few points because we are too cavalier. I agree with you about European qualification, we are not quite ready for that yet in my opinion, consolidate a mid table position and go on from there. A bit negative you say, well I see it as being realistic, if we are rewarded witha place in Europe I won't complain.[/p][/quote]I didn't make the comment because I thought we played to lose or even draw. I want us to continue to play to win. If it takes us to Europe, so be it. If it doesn't, well, it doesn't. Also, remember pessimism and realism are not synonymous. In recent years realism has been closer to the optimism of the happy clappers like you and me.[/p][/quote]That is how I read it, but you know how some people on here can turn around what you say and make it into something completely different, with you 100% on what you are saying, some want too much, too soon, it won't happen. OSPREYSAINT

5:45pm Mon 30 Dec 13

worried of n e hampshire says...

4th or 7th for me not 5th or 6th
don't need europa league thank's
4th or 7th for me not 5th or 6th don't need europa league thank's worried of n e hampshire

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree