AFC Aldermaston A win a thriller

Basingstoke Gazette: AFC Aldermaston on their way to a thrilling win AFC Aldermaston on their way to a thrilling win

JUST two matches in the Basingstoke and District Saturday League survived the wet weather at the weekend, with most of the fixture list being washed out.

The only two games to go ahead were in Division Two, with Overton United B hosting Hampshire Irons and Twenty-Ten taking on AFC Aldermaston A.

Referees were clearly of differing views as to the state of the pitches at War Memorial Park.

The game between Chineham Albion and Welly Old Boys Reserves was called off but the referee of the game between Twenty-Ten and AFC Aldermaston A ruled that the neighbouring pitch was fit for play.

The surface held out well to begin with but cut up as the game went on and had a bearing on the final result, Aldermaston
snatching a late winner to claim a 4-3 victory.

Twenty-Ten are still in the midst of a goalkeeper crisis and this week it was the turn of Frank Spacagna, the son of manager Alan, to don the gloves.

He was beaten on 10 minutes, when Kevin Flain’s free-kick went through his hands, but the hosts levelled when Danny Valance fired home from Adam Elsegood’s knock-down following a corner.

Flain’s second of the game restored Aldermaston’s lead but Twenty-Ten enjoyed a good spell in the second half and levelled on the hour, Gordon Wainwright scoring from a tight angle.  

Aldermaston went back in front when Tony Johnson’s free-kick beat Spacagna, while the pitch played its part in Twenty-Ten’s third equaliser 10 minutes from time. Joe Osbourne picked up an intended clearance
that got stuck in the mud and played Ryan Lupton through to level.

However, Aldermaston were not to be denied and they grabbed all three points with three minutes to go. Jack Barrett’s pass got bogged down, allowing Johnson to intercept before firing in a shot from 35 yards, catching Spacagna off his line.

Hampshire Irons, who switched from the Sunday League this season, were unbeaten until their visit to Berrydown, going
down 3-2 to fall to their first defeat of the season.

However, they remain top of the table, though nearest rivals DJS Telecoms are just three points adrift with a game in hand.

Overton fielded a strong team and made the most of having the wind behind them in the first half, leading 3-0 at the break.

Darryl Taylor opened the scoring, netting the rebound after Serge Holland’s effort was only half-saved.

Darren White doubled the lead on 25 minutes, finishing off after James Winfield’s shot was parried, before adding the third 10 minutes later, this time after playing a one-two with Taylor.

Irons pulled a goal back 10 minutes after the break, Jay Green scoring from the penalty spot after Kieran Dent had been fouled to spark a fightback.

New signing Omar Fazal then had a simple tap-in after the chance was laid on by James Arnold and Michael Wood volleyed
in a Green corner to level the match with 15 minutes left.

However, it was Overton who snatched all three points in the 86th minute, Serge Holland taking a pass from Ross Soper-Dyer, moving quickly past his marker and beating the goalkeeper with a smooth finish.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree