Hockey ladies top table at Christmas

Basingstoke Gazette: Dean Record in action for Basingstoke. Dean Record in action for Basingstoke.

BASINGSTOKE Hockey Club Ladies go into the Christmas break five points clear at the top of South Division 3B after they maintained their 100 per cent record with a 5-1 win over visiting Worthing..

Having conceded an early goal, the home side hit back, striking the woodwork before Chrissy Waller netted the equaliser.

They then took the lead as Fi Holdcroft slammed home a penalty-corner.

With half-time approaching, Roxy O’Dea made it 3-1 and, just before the interval, the game was over as a contest.

Sarah Lucas netted from a tight angle after Catriona Bausor drew the goalkeeper to make it 4-1.

After the break, the home side created a number of chances and converted one more from Bausor.

The only other ladies team in action at the weekend were the fifth string, who came from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 with visiting Aldershot and Farnham.

Liz Orr, Janice Spalding and Sue Pett scored Basingstoke’s goals as they completed a rousing second-half comeback.

Basingstoke’s men ended the year with a great 5-1 victory over visiting Sunbury and Walton Hawks, which leaves them three points clear at the top of Hampshire/ Surrey Regional Two.

The home side scored the only goal of the first-half as a firm ball into the circle was initially deflected by Mark Smith and was heading wide until Grant Rouse expertly diverted it into the net.

The home side scored from two penalty-corners after the break from Dean Record, as Graham Lang provided the feeds.

With five minutes to go, Dan Bowden made it 4-0, after Dave Stones’ initial shot had been saved.

Sunbury scored a consolation goal, before Record completed his hat-trick with a neat deflection through the goalkeeper’s legs.

Captain Adam Smith said: “There is still a long way to go this season and lots more work to put in but we are doing well and credit to the lads for their commitment so far.

“We will all enjoy the break and then we need to make sure we hit the ground running when the league starts up again in January.”

The men’s second team lost 6-3 at home to Havant, even though they took the lead through a reverse stick finish from the returning Ash Perman, but by half-time they trailed 3-1.

After the break, Mark Easto scored twice, but the visitors scored three more for a comfortable win.

The men’s fourth team won 5-1 to Wimbourne Wayfarers and the fifth team lost 4-1 against Fareham as Nick Horsey scored in the second half.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree