REPORT AND VIDEO - Basingstoke Town 0 Havant and Waterlooville 0

Basingstoke Gazette: Shaun McAuley, who went closest to scoring for the hosts, takes on the Havant defence. Buy this photo » Shaun McAuley, who went closest to scoring for the hosts, takes on the Havant defence.

Video courtesy of hawksfconline/YouTube.

BASINGSTOKE Town and Havant and Waterlooville will meet again at Westleigh Park tonight (kick-off 7.45pm) after playing out a goal-less draw in their FA Trophy First Round tie at the Camrose on Saturday.

Visiting Havant had the better of the first half, sitting deep and hitting the hosts on the break. It took some good defending to prevent Dennis Oli getting an early shot away, while the same player then put a decent chance from Scott Jones’ cross over the bar.

Another counter saw Havant outnumber the Town defenders, with Sahr Kabba leading the attack, but Nathan Smart did well to push the tricky striker wide and his low cross-shot flashed across the face of goal.

Town were having plenty of possession but struggled to break down the Havant defence, while the visitors continued to create chances.

Nic Ciardini forced a save out of Town goalkeeper Louis Wells from a free-kick, while Oli was inches away from opening the scoring, his effort from the edge of the area hitting the base of the post.

The half ended with a further opportunity for the visitors as Oli played strike-partner Kabba in, but he was only able to find the side netting and the teams went in to half-time level at 0-0.

Town boss Jason Bristow made a change before the start of the second half, bringing Robbie Matthews on for Kezie Ibe in attack.

The game was more open after the break but it was still Havant who carved out the better chances. Kabba went close a couple of times, while Edward Harris headed straight at Wells.

Town’s best chance fell to Manny Williams, who forced a decent save out of Scott Bevan following a good move down the right.

Havant went straight up the other end, with the dangerous Christian Nanetti firing not too far wide on the break, but they could have found themselves down to 10 men when Jones, who had already been booked, caught Smart late.

Basingstoke almost snatched a place in the next round with five minutes left, Shaun McAuley cutting in from the left and firing in a low shot that Bevan was at full stretch to keep out.

They also thought they should have had a penalty when Neil Barrett went down as he looked to get on the end of a high ball, but referee Ian Cooper, who struggled to retain control throughout, waved play on.

Havant saved their best chance for the final minute of injury-time, Kabba latching onto a through-ball, but Wells was off his line quickly to narrow the angle and save with his legs, ensuring a clean sheet and a replay at Westleigh Park tonight.

Click here for a video of Bristow talking about the game.

Basingstoke Town: Wells, Smart, Green, Barrett, Gasson, Ray, Daly, McAuley, Ibe (sub Matthews 45min), Williams, Dunn. Subs (not used): Jenkinson, Holder-Spooner, Adams, Rice.

Havant and Waterlooville: Bevan, Newton, Ciardini, Ryan, Harris, Monteiro, Nanetti (sub Ramsey 90min), Atangana, Oli, Kabba, Jones (sub Przespolewski 72min). Subs (not used): Woodford, Strugnell, Kewley-Graham.

Attendance: 354

Keep track on Town’s progress in tonight’s replay by following live text commentary from Westleigh Park on this website.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree