HEAVY rain all but wiped out Saturday’s football programme, with only one game surviving in the Basingstoke and District League programme.

Hartley Wintney, Whitchurch, Tadley Calleva, Overton and AFC Aldermaston all missed out on action due waterlogged pitches.

Whitchurch and Tadley Calleva will hope Longmeadow recovers in time for tomorrow night’s Wessex League Division One derby clash (kick-off 7.30pm).

The one match that beat the weather saw Sherfield earn a home tie against Kingsclere in the second round of the Peter Raynbird Cup after an excellent 4-2 victory over visiting Bounty United.

They took the lead in 10th minute as 17-year-old Paddy Callaghan started the move and his good centre saw Dan Francis pull the ball back for Gary Bootland to beat goalkeeper Richard Vinn with a sweet shot from the edge of the box.

After their slow start, Bounty drew level on 35 minutes, when Craig Williamson was given time to send a good through ball to James Dovey, who timed his run perfectly and beat the offside trap.

Sherfield regained their lead on 65 minutes, when a cross from Francis found Darren Bernsen. He was not closed down by the Bounty defenders and beat Vinn from 25-yards.

Sherfield doubled their advantage through Callaghan, who converted a pass from Bernsen. With Jordon Haddock and Scott Miller now back from Herriard, the Sherfield cause has improved and only a great save from Vinn prevented Haddock making it 4-1.

Sherfield had Andy Dowling between the sticks with player/manager Chris Spencer not available and he pulled off a fine save from Kai Butler.

However, on 70 minutes Bounty made it 3-2 as a corner from Steve Buckley was met at the far post by the head of Matt Love.

With the pitch worsening, the fourth for Sherfield came 10 minutes from time. Haddock’s free-kick saw Vinn fumble and with the ball struck on the line Michael Brewer had the easy task of placing it into the gaping goal.

Both teams commented on the excellent refereeing by Stuart Monger in the testing conditions.