A RETIRED Stockbridge accountant died after choking on his supper, an inquest has heard.
Cyril Glover, who was known by his middle name of John, collapsed at his Trafalgar Way home on the evening of June 15 this year.
He was found to have died by the time the ambulance arrived at the Royal Hampshire County Hospital.
The inquest heard how the 89-year-old suffered from eating problems and dementia, for which his carers had been advised to be give him food which had been chopped up and was easy to swallow.
Carer Rosemary Chalke said Mr Glover had been on good form on the day of his death: “I patted his back and realised it was serious. I went straight to dial 999,” she said.
Mid-Hampshire coroner Grahame Short recorded a verdict of accidental death by asphyxia, caused by choking on food.