Community devastated by death of teenager Eddie Pearse who was hit by train at Winchester

Eddie Pearse is being fondly remembered today four days after died

Eddie Pearse is being fondly remembered today four days after died

First published in News
Last updated

HE was a “bright, hard-working and committed” student whose death has devastated a Hampshire community.

Eddie Pearse is being fondly remembered today four days after died when he was hit by a train at Winchester Railway Station.

Eddie 18, was a former pupil at The Westgate School in Winchester where staff praised the teenager for his attitude and work ethic.

Headteacher Paul Nicholson said: “We are deeply saddened at the Westgate School. Eddie was a lovely, wonderful, bright pupil who made a fantastic contribution to our school. We are devastated at what has happened.

“I knew him as somebody who was very hard working, conscientious and committed to his studies. He quietly got on with whatever was asked of him and was very committed to doing his best at school.

“He was well respected amongst his peers and staff. He worked incredibly hard each and every day at school and we were thrilled that he achieved the examination results that he had strived for. He was always polite and an absolute pleasure to have in our school.”

The teenager, of Western Road, Winchester, had also recently finished his A-Levels at Peter Symonds College.

College Principal at Peter Symonds, Stephen Carville, said: “We are shocked and distressed at the news of Eddie's untimely death.   He was very much a part of our local community.  His teachers and fellow students are deeply saddened by what has happened and his family are very much in our thoughts at this sad time.”

He was the son of journalist Jeremy and also leaves behind two older brothers and a sister.

Eddie was hit by a freight train at around 5pm on February 7 and as reported by the Chronicle the incident caused the station to be locked down for hours.

Hampshire Police, South Central Ambulance and British Transport Police were all at the scene and the latter has confirmed his death is not suspicious.

An inquest has been opened and adjourned with the cause of death currently identified as multiple injuries but to be investigated further.

A full inquest is likely to take place in Winchester in May.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree