When news happens, text BAZ and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Smoke alarm alerts Broughton family of five to utility room fire
12:25pm Wednesday 9th January 2013 in Andover
A FAMILY of five, including two children and a baby, were able to escape a fire in their property in the early hours of this morning thanks to their smoke detector.
The fire broke out in the property in Salisbury Road, Broughton, in a tumble dryer in the downstairs utility room, adjacent to the baby's nursery at around 3:30am.
Fortunately firefighters had visited the property around three years ago to undertake a home safety visit, and had installed a smoke detector, which this morning alerted the family to the fire. This gave them the vital minutes to escape and call the fire service.
Watch manager Malky MacEwan who was in charge of the incident said “Although the property was damaged by the fire, the family were able to escape safely as a working smoke alarm gave them early warning, enabling everyone to get out. “The father did exactly the right thing getting his wife and children outside to safety before shutting the door and calling 999. As the fire began very near to the baby's room the situation could have been much more serious.”
The two-storey standard construction property was affected by smoke but fire damage was limited to the utility room where the fire began. The stop message was received at 4:41am. Firefighters from Stockbridge and Romsey used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels and one jet to extinguish the fire.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service advises householders to have a working smoke alarm on each level of their home, and test weekly. For further advice and home safety visit information contact the Community Safety team on 023 8062 6809.