Phone app for housing association tenants

Basingstoke Gazette: Phone app for housing association tenants Phone app for housing association tenants

A PHONE app for housing association residents to access their tenancy information has been launched.

Sovereign Housing Association has developed the Windows Phone app for residents to view its online MySovereign portal.

It is available to all three major mobile phone platforms – Apple, Android and Windows.

More than 1,100 residents are already using the app on Android devices and on iPhone and iPads.

Sovereign launched MySovereign a year ago, and more than 5,000 residents are using the online portal to view the balance of their account, make payments, to log repairs and track their progress, to look up scheduled maintenance dates, and to report anti-social behaviour.

Debbie Osborne, head of Sovereign Connect, said: “Since it was launched a year ago, we’ve seen MySovereign become an increasingly important aspect of our resident’s lives.

“We launched MySovereign with the intention of improving the service we provide to residents, allowing them to access our services in a secure and user-friendly environment at a time that is convenient to them. We are delighted that so many have signed up for this service.”

Comments (34)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:19am Mon 9 Dec 13

jonone says...

"More than 1,100 residents are already using the app on Android devices and on iPhone and iPads."

Poor, hard up social housing tenants.... with iPhones and iPads. LOL.
"More than 1,100 residents are already using the app on Android devices and on iPhone and iPads." Poor, hard up social housing tenants.... with iPhones and iPads. LOL. jonone

10:17am Mon 9 Dec 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

jonone wrote:
"More than 1,100 residents are already using the app on Android devices and on iPhone and iPads."

Poor, hard up social housing tenants.... with iPhones and iPads. LOL.
In your opinion jonone, what hand held devices should social housing association tenants use to keep in touch with the rest of the world?
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: "More than 1,100 residents are already using the app on Android devices and on iPhone and iPads." Poor, hard up social housing tenants.... with iPhones and iPads. LOL.[/p][/quote]In your opinion jonone, what hand held devices should social housing association tenants use to keep in touch with the rest of the world? Sam_Walker123456

10:43am Mon 9 Dec 13

SG-1986 says...

applying for social housing does not necessarily make you "hard Up" - I would love to have a decent council house with cheap rent that would then allow me to save for a mortgage and buy. But unfortunately I am stuck with High private rent with high bills and nothing left to save. All because i earn enough to "afford it" and therefore will never get social housing. And most likely never Own my own home.
applying for social housing does not necessarily make you "hard Up" - I would love to have a decent council house with cheap rent that would then allow me to save for a mortgage and buy. But unfortunately I am stuck with High private rent with high bills and nothing left to save. All because i earn enough to "afford it" and therefore will never get social housing. And most likely never Own my own home. SG-1986

4:46pm Mon 9 Dec 13

laurence86 says...

Can people who are not in social housing use the app to report anti-social behaviour by Sovereign tenants?
Can people who are not in social housing use the app to report anti-social behaviour by Sovereign tenants? laurence86

5:30pm Mon 9 Dec 13

jonone says...

Sam_Walker123456 wrote:
jonone wrote:
"More than 1,100 residents are already using the app on Android devices and on iPhone and iPads."

Poor, hard up social housing tenants.... with iPhones and iPads. LOL.
In your opinion jonone, what hand held devices should social housing association tenants use to keep in touch with the rest of the world?
Well, as someone who works full time and receives no benefits, when I last changed my phone, I couldn't afford an iPhone. So, my point is how can that be, when people who are subsidised by my taxes can. iPhones and iPads are singularly the most expensive products in their respective classes.

Hopefully you get my point now.
[quote][p][bold]Sam_Walker123456[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: "More than 1,100 residents are already using the app on Android devices and on iPhone and iPads." Poor, hard up social housing tenants.... with iPhones and iPads. LOL.[/p][/quote]In your opinion jonone, what hand held devices should social housing association tenants use to keep in touch with the rest of the world?[/p][/quote]Well, as someone who works full time and receives no benefits, when I last changed my phone, I couldn't afford an iPhone. So, my point is how can that be, when people who are subsidised by my taxes can. iPhones and iPads are singularly the most expensive products in their respective classes. Hopefully you get my point now. jonone

2:01pm Tue 10 Dec 13

ChinehamIan says...

Something not quite right about this! In social housing, yet using iPhones, iPads or Android devices! Hhmm...
Something not quite right about this! In social housing, yet using iPhones, iPads or Android devices! Hhmm... ChinehamIan

5:07pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

jonone says, 'Hopefully you get my point now.'
I don't get your point but I do get your motive - envy. Why shouldn't people in social housing have things which you chose not to afford. I use the word 'chose' very carefully because you could sacrifice other things in order to afford an iPhone if you really wanted one. Personally I chose to spend my money on other things.
jonone says, 'Hopefully you get my point now.' I don't get your point but I do get your motive - envy. Why shouldn't people in social housing have things which you chose not to afford. I use the word 'chose' very carefully because you could sacrifice other things in order to afford an iPhone if you really wanted one. Personally I chose to spend my money on other things. Sam_Walker123456

6:21pm Tue 10 Dec 13

popleyrebel2 says...

Jonone has this unhealthy chip on his shoulder that is growing day by day, if he’s not careful it will turn him in to a very sad and bitter man. However, evidence so far suggests that he is well on the way, his choice of words (scum) is totally inappropriate when debating issues that affect people’s lives and not all (Housing association tenants) are scrounger and benefit cheats. If Jonone had his way all tenants would be forced to wear a yellow arm band, which also includes private rent.

The problem with Billy no mates like Jonone when that chip grows too big and finally forces you to the ground there is nobody to pick you up.
Sad, Sad man.
Jonone has this unhealthy chip on his shoulder that is growing day by day, if he’s not careful it will turn him in to a very sad and bitter man. However, evidence so far suggests that he is well on the way, his choice of words (scum) is totally inappropriate when debating issues that affect people’s lives and not all (Housing association tenants) are scrounger and benefit cheats. If Jonone had his way all tenants would be forced to wear a yellow arm band, which also includes private rent. The problem with Billy no mates like Jonone when that chip grows too big and finally forces you to the ground there is nobody to pick you up. Sad, Sad man. popleyrebel2

10:00pm Tue 10 Dec 13

jonone says...

popleyrebel2 wrote:
Jonone has this unhealthy chip on his shoulder that is growing day by day, if he’s not careful it will turn him in to a very sad and bitter man. However, evidence so far suggests that he is well on the way, his choice of words (scum) is totally inappropriate when debating issues that affect people’s lives and not all (Housing association tenants) are scrounger and benefit cheats. If Jonone had his way all tenants would be forced to wear a yellow arm band, which also includes private rent.

The problem with Billy no mates like Jonone when that chip grows too big and finally forces you to the ground there is nobody to pick you up.
Sad, Sad man.
popleyrebel2 - the person who is happy that there are people who need foodbanks whilst "welfare" subsidises people to have large families, branded clothing, iPads, Sky etc. "Scum?" Ask me again on 1st Jan, when they've been on the street all night, drinking, screaming and swearing!

I have no issue with people having help when needed and openly support it. What I do not like my taxes subsiding certain families having a lifestyle the rest of us need to work to have. That you cannot accept this reality exists speaks volumes about you, as does your nasty, abusive post.

You and Sam need to wake up and live in the real world.
[quote][p][bold]popleyrebel2[/bold] wrote: Jonone has this unhealthy chip on his shoulder that is growing day by day, if he’s not careful it will turn him in to a very sad and bitter man. However, evidence so far suggests that he is well on the way, his choice of words (scum) is totally inappropriate when debating issues that affect people’s lives and not all (Housing association tenants) are scrounger and benefit cheats. If Jonone had his way all tenants would be forced to wear a yellow arm band, which also includes private rent. The problem with Billy no mates like Jonone when that chip grows too big and finally forces you to the ground there is nobody to pick you up. Sad, Sad man.[/p][/quote]popleyrebel2 - the person who is happy that there are people who need foodbanks whilst "welfare" subsidises people to have large families, branded clothing, iPads, Sky etc. "Scum?" Ask me again on 1st Jan, when they've been on the street all night, drinking, screaming and swearing! I have no issue with people having help when needed and openly support it. What I do not like my taxes subsiding certain families having a lifestyle the rest of us need to work to have. That you cannot accept this reality exists speaks volumes about you, as does your nasty, abusive post. You and Sam need to wake up and live in the real world. jonone

10:02pm Tue 10 Dec 13

jonone says...

Sam_Walker123456 wrote:
jonone says, 'Hopefully you get my point now.'
I don't get your point but I do get your motive - envy. Why shouldn't people in social housing have things which you chose not to afford. I use the word 'chose' very carefully because you could sacrifice other things in order to afford an iPhone if you really wanted one. Personally I chose to spend my money on other things.
Seems being judgemental is acceptable in only on direction.... But, if you are OK for taxes to help people have the most expensive things, whilst others cry out for food banks and charity, that's fine. Speaks volumes....
[quote][p][bold]Sam_Walker123456[/bold] wrote: jonone says, 'Hopefully you get my point now.' I don't get your point but I do get your motive - envy. Why shouldn't people in social housing have things which you chose not to afford. I use the word 'chose' very carefully because you could sacrifice other things in order to afford an iPhone if you really wanted one. Personally I chose to spend my money on other things.[/p][/quote]Seems being judgemental is acceptable in only on direction.... But, if you are OK for taxes to help people have the most expensive things, whilst others cry out for food banks and charity, that's fine. Speaks volumes.... jonone

11:54pm Tue 10 Dec 13

red teacosy says...

Sam_Walker123456 wrote:
jonone says, 'Hopefully you get my point now.'
I don't get your point but I do get your motive - envy. Why shouldn't people in social housing have things which you chose not to afford. I use the word 'chose' very carefully because you could sacrifice other things in order to afford an iPhone if you really wanted one. Personally I chose to spend my money on other things.
Polish for your halo?
[quote][p][bold]Sam_Walker123456[/bold] wrote: jonone says, 'Hopefully you get my point now.' I don't get your point but I do get your motive - envy. Why shouldn't people in social housing have things which you chose not to afford. I use the word 'chose' very carefully because you could sacrifice other things in order to afford an iPhone if you really wanted one. Personally I chose to spend my money on other things.[/p][/quote]Polish for your halo? red teacosy

9:29am Wed 11 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

jonone wrote:
Sam_Walker123456 wrote:
jonone wrote:
"More than 1,100 residents are already using the app on Android devices and on iPhone and iPads."

Poor, hard up social housing tenants.... with iPhones and iPads. LOL.
In your opinion jonone, what hand held devices should social housing association tenants use to keep in touch with the rest of the world?
Well, as someone who works full time and receives no benefits, when I last changed my phone, I couldn't afford an iPhone. So, my point is how can that be, when people who are subsidised by my taxes can. iPhones and iPads are singularly the most expensive products in their respective classes.

Hopefully you get my point now.
I fully understand the point you are making jonone, it now appears that being working class (i.e. you support yourself) has a lower stature than being on benefits, also if you are on benefits it would suggest you need financial support, so yes, how can they AFFORD an i-pad/phone and that is the point AFFORD.
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sam_Walker123456[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: "More than 1,100 residents are already using the app on Android devices and on iPhone and iPads." Poor, hard up social housing tenants.... with iPhones and iPads. LOL.[/p][/quote]In your opinion jonone, what hand held devices should social housing association tenants use to keep in touch with the rest of the world?[/p][/quote]Well, as someone who works full time and receives no benefits, when I last changed my phone, I couldn't afford an iPhone. So, my point is how can that be, when people who are subsidised by my taxes can. iPhones and iPads are singularly the most expensive products in their respective classes. Hopefully you get my point now.[/p][/quote]I fully understand the point you are making jonone, it now appears that being working class (i.e. you support yourself) has a lower stature than being on benefits, also if you are on benefits it would suggest you need financial support, so yes, how can they AFFORD an i-pad/phone and that is the point AFFORD. Folkestone Saint

11:17am Wed 11 Dec 13

laurence86 says...

There are 75,750,000 mobile handsets in the UK, and 61,612,300 people. The App is available on all three major operating system. You can now amazingly buy a smart phone for as little as £40 on a pay as you go contract. If you look at the worst case scenario, you are out of work and struggling to make ends meet. You can access a computer and printer at the job centre, so you can apply for jobs but you still need to have a number that they can contact you on. A pay as you go phone is the cheapest and most convenient way to do this. Now also rather conveniently, you can use a free wifi area to access and update your Sovereign account. Personally I prefer paper, or email but we are living in the app age so it makes sense to have it out there.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/List_of_cou
ntries_by_number_of_
mobile_phones_in_use

http://www.carphonew
arehouse.com/mobiles
/upgrade/deal-finder
?&network=ORN!SEP!O2
!SEP!VOD!SEP!O2O!SEP
!3!SEP!TM!SEP!EE
There are 75,750,000 mobile handsets in the UK, and 61,612,300 people. The App is available on all three major operating system. You can now amazingly buy a smart phone for as little as £40 on a pay as you go contract. If you look at the worst case scenario, you are out of work and struggling to make ends meet. You can access a computer and printer at the job centre, so you can apply for jobs but you still need to have a number that they can contact you on. A pay as you go phone is the cheapest and most convenient way to do this. Now also rather conveniently, you can use a free wifi area to access and update your Sovereign account. Personally I prefer paper, or email but we are living in the app age so it makes sense to have it out there. Sources: http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/List_of_cou ntries_by_number_of_ mobile_phones_in_use http://www.carphonew arehouse.com/mobiles /upgrade/deal-finder ?&network=ORN!SEP!O2 !SEP!VOD!SEP!O2O!SEP !3!SEP!TM!SEP!EE laurence86

12:09pm Wed 11 Dec 13

popleyrebel2 says...

Its s a sad indictment on this Country that 10s of thousands are solely reliant on food banks, and it’s no coincident that their numbers have multiplied since this Government introduced their welfare reforms. Furthermore, the charities involved must be commended for their work and the food outlets that supply them.
Where I do have a problem is the discrimination of Housing association tenants by jonone, people claim benefits for all sorts of reasons, lost their job, shorter working hours and as a consequence qualify for benefits. These people are not scroungers and should not be tarred with the same brush and there are not scum as described by jonone, people who have fallen on hard times, again this also includes private rent.

Fraud in the benefit system must be stamped out however, there are bigger fish when it comes to fraud, therefore, why start at the bottom. Furthermore, the reforms are not working and are costing more than they gain, the system is shambolic and counterproductive, at the same time however pushing people well below the poverty line.

MPs have been awarded an 11% pay rise, and of course, they don’t want it, but it’s being forced upon them, therefore, take the rise and forfeit 11% of their expenses and housing benefits.
Its s a sad indictment on this Country that 10s of thousands are solely reliant on food banks, and it’s no coincident that their numbers have multiplied since this Government introduced their welfare reforms. Furthermore, the charities involved must be commended for their work and the food outlets that supply them. Where I do have a problem is the discrimination of Housing association tenants by jonone, people claim benefits for all sorts of reasons, lost their job, shorter working hours and as a consequence qualify for benefits. These people are not scroungers and should not be tarred with the same brush and there are not scum as described by jonone, people who have fallen on hard times, again this also includes private rent. Fraud in the benefit system must be stamped out however, there are bigger fish when it comes to fraud, therefore, why start at the bottom. Furthermore, the reforms are not working and are costing more than they gain, the system is shambolic and counterproductive, at the same time however pushing people well below the poverty line. MPs have been awarded an 11% pay rise, and of course, they don’t want it, but it’s being forced upon them, therefore, take the rise and forfeit 11% of their expenses and housing benefits. popleyrebel2

5:26pm Wed 11 Dec 13

popleyrebel2 says...

Case in point, a chap I know on jobseekers was instructed to attend a meeting at the job centre, he left the house in plenty of time for the meeting. However, unbeknown to him the job centre phone the house leaving a message on the answer phone informing him the meeting had been brought forward. He attended the original meeting and was told he would be losing his jobseeker allowance for not attending the rearranged meeting.
He was told to get a mobile that he could not afford, therefore, this chap lost his benefit for not having a mobile phone.
Furthermore, It’s been reported that people receive simultaneous appointments and can’t attend both are being sanctioned for missing an appointment and as a consequence have their benefit stopped.
The government are forcing people in to poverty by setting them up.
Just to get the numbers down.
Case in point, a chap I know on jobseekers was instructed to attend a meeting at the job centre, he left the house in plenty of time for the meeting. However, unbeknown to him the job centre phone the house leaving a message on the answer phone informing him the meeting had been brought forward. He attended the original meeting and was told he would be losing his jobseeker allowance for not attending the rearranged meeting. He was told to get a mobile that he could not afford, therefore, this chap lost his benefit for not having a mobile phone. Furthermore, It’s been reported that people receive simultaneous appointments and can’t attend both are being sanctioned for missing an appointment and as a consequence have their benefit stopped. The government are forcing people in to poverty by setting them up. Just to get the numbers down. popleyrebel2

7:50pm Wed 11 Dec 13

jonone says...

popleyrebel2 wrote:
Its s a sad indictment on this Country that 10s of thousands are solely reliant on food banks, and it’s no coincident that their numbers have multiplied since this Government introduced their welfare reforms. Furthermore, the charities involved must be commended for their work and the food outlets that supply them.
Where I do have a problem is the discrimination of Housing association tenants by jonone, people claim benefits for all sorts of reasons, lost their job, shorter working hours and as a consequence qualify for benefits. These people are not scroungers and should not be tarred with the same brush and there are not scum as described by jonone, people who have fallen on hard times, again this also includes private rent.

Fraud in the benefit system must be stamped out however, there are bigger fish when it comes to fraud, therefore, why start at the bottom. Furthermore, the reforms are not working and are costing more than they gain, the system is shambolic and counterproductive, at the same time however pushing people well below the poverty line.

MPs have been awarded an 11% pay rise, and of course, they don’t want it, but it’s being forced upon them, therefore, take the rise and forfeit 11% of their expenses and housing benefits.
You assume I judge all housing association tenants. This is a judgement made entirely by you and not reflected in reality, that reflects on you, not me. However, like it or not, I live next to groups of people who are clearly being supported by the state and as such have a subsidised lifestyle that does not appear to be uncomfortable in any way shape or form. And yet, charities have to provide foodbanks for others - whilst HA tenants, by the HA's own admission use a means that is the singularly most expensive source. If the article said it was all Android users, fine, phones and tablets with that operating system are a fraction of the price of Apple products.

I do know, if I or my wife got made redundant tomorrow, we'd be the ones at the food bank, with only one child, we'd never get the largesse afforded to our neighbours. Those thousands who are using food banks are probably the same, lost jobs, too proud to take welfare or unable to get a level that is affordable.

Chip on my shoulder? Maybe, but only because the welfare state continues to be screwed up and can be a slap in the face to those of us who have tried to do well for ourselves.

The welfare state should ensure everyone is housed, clothed, fed and kept warm. It should help with training and invest to create jobs. It should not be a subsidy to give people a nice ride through life. This IS what happens and it does NOT need to be a result of fraud. It is clear that it is not just the Tories who are out of touch with the real world, you are pretty distant from it too.
[quote][p][bold]popleyrebel2[/bold] wrote: Its s a sad indictment on this Country that 10s of thousands are solely reliant on food banks, and it’s no coincident that their numbers have multiplied since this Government introduced their welfare reforms. Furthermore, the charities involved must be commended for their work and the food outlets that supply them. Where I do have a problem is the discrimination of Housing association tenants by jonone, people claim benefits for all sorts of reasons, lost their job, shorter working hours and as a consequence qualify for benefits. These people are not scroungers and should not be tarred with the same brush and there are not scum as described by jonone, people who have fallen on hard times, again this also includes private rent. Fraud in the benefit system must be stamped out however, there are bigger fish when it comes to fraud, therefore, why start at the bottom. Furthermore, the reforms are not working and are costing more than they gain, the system is shambolic and counterproductive, at the same time however pushing people well below the poverty line. MPs have been awarded an 11% pay rise, and of course, they don’t want it, but it’s being forced upon them, therefore, take the rise and forfeit 11% of their expenses and housing benefits.[/p][/quote]You assume I judge all housing association tenants. This is a judgement made entirely by you and not reflected in reality, that reflects on you, not me. However, like it or not, I live next to groups of people who are clearly being supported by the state and as such have a subsidised lifestyle that does not appear to be uncomfortable in any way shape or form. And yet, charities have to provide foodbanks for others - whilst HA tenants, by the HA's own admission use a means that is the singularly most expensive source. If the article said it was all Android users, fine, phones and tablets with that operating system are a fraction of the price of Apple products. I do know, if I or my wife got made redundant tomorrow, we'd be the ones at the food bank, with only one child, we'd never get the largesse afforded to our neighbours. Those thousands who are using food banks are probably the same, lost jobs, too proud to take welfare or unable to get a level that is affordable. Chip on my shoulder? Maybe, but only because the welfare state continues to be screwed up and can be a slap in the face to those of us who have tried to do well for ourselves. The welfare state should ensure everyone is housed, clothed, fed and kept warm. It should help with training and invest to create jobs. It should not be a subsidy to give people a nice ride through life. This IS what happens and it does NOT need to be a result of fraud. It is clear that it is not just the Tories who are out of touch with the real world, you are pretty distant from it too. jonone

8:54am Thu 12 Dec 13

Mac Heath says...

Jonone is so wrong it is difficult to know where to start.

Firstly housing association rents in Basingstoke are not subsidised. The cost of running a housing association is covered by the rents paid. Government money is invested in building new homes; but so it is in building hospitals, roads and schools.

Secondly unemployment rates amongst housing association tenants is about the same as in the private sector. The majority of social housing tenancies are held by people with a job (93% of social housing tenants in Basingstoke are not unemployed). If social housing tenants choose to spend their hard earned money on smart phones then that is entirely up to them.

Thirdly housing association tenants pay taxes just like everyone else, most work and pay income tax, most drive and pay fuel duty, all pay VAT.

Fourthly you can buy a second hand iPhone for about £50.

People in private housing receive subsidies – eg the recently introduced “help to buy” scheme provides subsidised mortgages for those that buy instead of rent.

Jonone himself receives many subsidies. Every time his bin is emptied, every time he goes to the library, every time he travels on the train, every time he goes to the doctor, all the time he was at school.

Jonone is what you are really saying it is alright for you to receive subsidies but not everyone else? Or are you so wealthy you don’t receive any services from the Council, the NHS, public schools, the police and travel by private jet (using subsidised air traffic control). If it is that latter then it explains a lot. If it is the former then you are a selfish hypocrite.

So Jonone which of the two are you?
Jonone is so wrong it is difficult to know where to start. Firstly housing association rents in Basingstoke are not subsidised. The cost of running a housing association is covered by the rents paid. Government money is invested in building new homes; but so it is in building hospitals, roads and schools. Secondly unemployment rates amongst housing association tenants is about the same as in the private sector. The majority of social housing tenancies are held by people with a job (93% of social housing tenants in Basingstoke are not unemployed). If social housing tenants choose to spend their hard earned money on smart phones then that is entirely up to them. Thirdly housing association tenants pay taxes just like everyone else, most work and pay income tax, most drive and pay fuel duty, all pay VAT. Fourthly you can buy a second hand iPhone for about £50. People in private housing receive subsidies – eg the recently introduced “help to buy” scheme provides subsidised mortgages for those that buy instead of rent. Jonone himself receives many subsidies. Every time his bin is emptied, every time he goes to the library, every time he travels on the train, every time he goes to the doctor, all the time he was at school. Jonone is what you are really saying it is alright for you to receive subsidies but not everyone else? Or are you so wealthy you don’t receive any services from the Council, the NHS, public schools, the police and travel by private jet (using subsidised air traffic control). If it is that latter then it explains a lot. If it is the former then you are a selfish hypocrite. So Jonone which of the two are you? Mac Heath

9:58am Thu 12 Dec 13

Buster Preciation says...

To be fair Mac Heath you are lumping services and subsidies together unfairly:

"Jonone himself receives many subsidies. Every time his bin is emptied, every time he goes to the library, every time he travels on the train, every time he goes to the doctor, all the time he was at school."

Those are services provided for ALL paid for by national and or local taxes. Jonone is talking about subsidies only available to those on low or no income paid for by those with incomes. And not always high incomes at that.
To be fair Mac Heath you are lumping services and subsidies together unfairly: "Jonone himself receives many subsidies. Every time his bin is emptied, every time he goes to the library, every time he travels on the train, every time he goes to the doctor, all the time he was at school." Those are services provided for ALL paid for by national and or local taxes. Jonone is talking about subsidies only available to those on low or no income paid for by those with incomes. And not always high incomes at that. Buster Preciation

12:31pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Mac Heath says...

Buster I see your point but;

1. Housing association tenants don't get subsidised rent.
2. Most tenants have a job and pay income tax (and VAT etc).
3. We go down a very dangerous road if we start saying that only those that pay taxes can have subsidies (or benefits).

Point 3 is the most relevant. Are you saying it is only those wealthy enough to not need benefits (or subsidises) that should receive them?

Surely not - that's crazy.
Buster I see your point but; 1. Housing association tenants don't get subsidised rent. 2. Most tenants have a job and pay income tax (and VAT etc). 3. We go down a very dangerous road if we start saying that only those that pay taxes can have subsidies (or benefits). Point 3 is the most relevant. Are you saying it is only those wealthy enough to not need benefits (or subsidises) that should receive them? Surely not - that's crazy. Mac Heath

12:59pm Thu 12 Dec 13

ChinehamIan says...

Mac Heath, how on earth can you say "Firstly housing association rents in Basingstoke are not subsidised."
What absolute rubbish! Of course they are subsidised! Tenants pay a nominal rent, the rest comes from benefits and the taxpayer!
Mac Heath, how on earth can you say "Firstly housing association rents in Basingstoke are not subsidised." What absolute rubbish! Of course they are subsidised! Tenants pay a nominal rent, the rest comes from benefits and the taxpayer! ChinehamIan

1:40pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Buster Preciation says...

Mac Heath wrote:
Buster I see your point but;

1. Housing association tenants don't get subsidised rent.
2. Most tenants have a job and pay income tax (and VAT etc).
3. We go down a very dangerous road if we start saying that only those that pay taxes can have subsidies (or benefits).

Point 3 is the most relevant. Are you saying it is only those wealthy enough to not need benefits (or subsidises) that should receive them?

Surely not - that's crazy.
Not at all. And reading the posts from Jonone neither is he. Any benefit or subsidy should be sufficient to cover life's essentials. Anything else is nonessential and to ask someone else to pay for it is 'crazy'. That's the point of the very first post in this thread and I can't see any problem with it at all. Some contributors may have added other issues and opinions which I may or may not agree with but the core argument is one I do agree with.
[quote][p][bold]Mac Heath[/bold] wrote: Buster I see your point but; 1. Housing association tenants don't get subsidised rent. 2. Most tenants have a job and pay income tax (and VAT etc). 3. We go down a very dangerous road if we start saying that only those that pay taxes can have subsidies (or benefits). Point 3 is the most relevant. Are you saying it is only those wealthy enough to not need benefits (or subsidises) that should receive them? Surely not - that's crazy.[/p][/quote]Not at all. And reading the posts from Jonone neither is he. Any benefit or subsidy should be sufficient to cover life's essentials. Anything else is nonessential and to ask someone else to pay for it is 'crazy'. That's the point of the very first post in this thread and I can't see any problem with it at all. Some contributors may have added other issues and opinions which I may or may not agree with but the core argument is one I do agree with. Buster Preciation

1:48pm Thu 12 Dec 13

robertspet8 says...

ChinehamIan wrote:
Mac Heath, how on earth can you say "Firstly housing association rents in Basingstoke are not subsidised."
What absolute rubbish! Of course they are subsidised! Tenants pay a nominal rent, the rest comes from benefits and the taxpayer!
Your statement is more wrong than right Chinehamian.
I suggest you read the UK Housing Review for 2013 and many years before that. It shows that all housing is subsidised in some way or other but that the largest beneficiaries of housing subsidies are home owners! Housing Association or council tenants receive much less in subsidies. By law this group of tenants have to be charged enough rent so that the council or association does not make a loss - in fact many now make a profit. The reason why these rents tend to be lower than in the private sector is that the council or association has very small or no mortgages on the properties. All tenants can claim housing benefit and those in the private sector receive higher benefits than those in council or housing association properties. We must stop referring to council or housing association rents as subsidised because they are less subsidised than other sectors of the housing market. Or we could start saying, 'I live in my own subsidised home' or, 'I live in a subsidised privately rented flat'.
[quote][p][bold]ChinehamIan[/bold] wrote: Mac Heath, how on earth can you say "Firstly housing association rents in Basingstoke are not subsidised." What absolute rubbish! Of course they are subsidised! Tenants pay a nominal rent, the rest comes from benefits and the taxpayer![/p][/quote]Your statement is more wrong than right Chinehamian. I suggest you read the UK Housing Review for 2013 and many years before that. It shows that all housing is subsidised in some way or other but that the largest beneficiaries of housing subsidies are home owners! Housing Association or council tenants receive much less in subsidies. By law this group of tenants have to be charged enough rent so that the council or association does not make a loss - in fact many now make a profit. The reason why these rents tend to be lower than in the private sector is that the council or association has very small or no mortgages on the properties. All tenants can claim housing benefit and those in the private sector receive higher benefits than those in council or housing association properties. We must stop referring to council or housing association rents as subsidised because they are less subsidised than other sectors of the housing market. Or we could start saying, 'I live in my own subsidised home' or, 'I live in a subsidised privately rented flat'. robertspet8

2:06pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

Can we agree that those in social housing are not all scroungers and that the vast majority pay their way in life and pay tax which is used to subsidise my pribvate property. Can we also agree that they are allowed to spend their income in whatever way they chose. I think somebody pointed out that it is the cheats we need to clamp down on and if you know a cheat then report them jonone.
Can we agree that those in social housing are not all scroungers and that the vast majority pay their way in life and pay tax which is used to subsidise my pribvate property. Can we also agree that they are allowed to spend their income in whatever way they chose. I think somebody pointed out that it is the cheats we need to clamp down on and if you know a cheat then report them jonone. Sam_Walker123456

2:27pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Mac Heath says...

Thanks Robertspet8. A quick read of any of the major housing associations’ annual report and accounts will confirm that they make a small profit and receive no subsidy. ChinehamIan I suggest you read Sentinel’s latest report for example. Sentinel is one of the larger associations providing housing in Basingstoke.

You will also find that most tenants are working families or pensioners.

So going back to Jonone's original whinge - there's is absolutely no reason why housing association tenants shouldn’t be able to download a free app for their smartphone’s that make their lives easier and allows the housing association to provide a more efficient service.

But the main point is before posting we should make sure of the facts.

All the best. MacHeath
Thanks Robertspet8. A quick read of any of the major housing associations’ annual report and accounts will confirm that they make a small profit and receive no subsidy. ChinehamIan I suggest you read Sentinel’s latest report for example. Sentinel is one of the larger associations providing housing in Basingstoke. You will also find that most tenants are working families or pensioners. So going back to Jonone's original whinge - there's is absolutely no reason why housing association tenants shouldn’t be able to download a free app for their smartphone’s that make their lives easier and allows the housing association to provide a more efficient service. But the main point is before posting we should make sure of the facts. All the best. MacHeath Mac Heath

2:49pm Thu 12 Dec 13

laurence86 says...

All this kafuffle over a letting agency releasing an app!
All this kafuffle over a letting agency releasing an app! laurence86

3:44pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

MacHeath says, 'But the main point is before posting we should make sure of the facts.'
But this would mean we could not give an airing to our uninformed prejudices.
MacHeath says, 'But the main point is before posting we should make sure of the facts.' But this would mean we could not give an airing to our uninformed prejudices. Sam_Walker123456

4:00pm Thu 12 Dec 13

robertspet8 says...

Sam_Walker123456 wrote:
MacHeath says, 'But the main point is before posting we should make sure of the facts.'
But this would mean we could not give an airing to our uninformed prejudices.
Which would disqualify us from being politicians.
[quote][p][bold]Sam_Walker123456[/bold] wrote: MacHeath says, 'But the main point is before posting we should make sure of the facts.' But this would mean we could not give an airing to our uninformed prejudices.[/p][/quote]Which would disqualify us from being politicians. robertspet8

8:58pm Thu 12 Dec 13

popleyrebel2 says...

Subsidised housing does not begin and end with housing associations tenants, sadly however, there are people like jonone who would be delighted if that wasn’t the case, if only to justify his vendetta against them.
As I have said many times to jonone over the years, that these tenants are not all scroungers benefit cheats and above all “Scum” furthermore, subsidised housing goes to very top (Westminster) only they call it expenses, however, I call it housing benefit.
Subsidised housing does not begin and end with housing associations tenants, sadly however, there are people like jonone who would be delighted if that wasn’t the case, if only to justify his vendetta against them. As I have said many times to jonone over the years, that these tenants are not all scroungers benefit cheats and above all “Scum” furthermore, subsidised housing goes to very top (Westminster) only they call it expenses, however, I call it housing benefit. popleyrebel2

9:24am Fri 13 Dec 13

Buster Preciation says...

Suddenly a massive jump in the number of positive and negative thumbs. I suspect multiple accounts again. I bet the perpetrator is the first to claim to be democratic as well.
Suddenly a massive jump in the number of positive and negative thumbs. I suspect multiple accounts again. I bet the perpetrator is the first to claim to be democratic as well. Buster Preciation

10:34am Fri 13 Dec 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

Buster Preciation wrote:
Suddenly a massive jump in the number of positive and negative thumbs. I suspect multiple accounts again. I bet the perpetrator is the first to claim to be democratic as well.
There is probably some truth in what you say Buster. But what a lot of effort for somebody to go to! The largest number of thumbs against any comment is 24. If half of these are not genuine then somebody has to have 12 accounts and needs to log in and out 12 times in order to register 12 different votes. An alternative is a number of people working in conjunction, but again what a lot of effort to go to to! I suspect it is a combination of both.
The only way it can be prevented is if The Gazette makes it compulsory for all of us to supply full, checkable personal details as I have suggested before. But it ain't going to happen because they would lose many of their contributors.
[quote][p][bold]Buster Preciation[/bold] wrote: Suddenly a massive jump in the number of positive and negative thumbs. I suspect multiple accounts again. I bet the perpetrator is the first to claim to be democratic as well.[/p][/quote]There is probably some truth in what you say Buster. But what a lot of effort for somebody to go to! The largest number of thumbs against any comment is 24. If half of these are not genuine then somebody has to have 12 accounts and needs to log in and out 12 times in order to register 12 different votes. An alternative is a number of people working in conjunction, but again what a lot of effort to go to to! I suspect it is a combination of both. The only way it can be prevented is if The Gazette makes it compulsory for all of us to supply full, checkable personal details as I have suggested before. But it ain't going to happen because they would lose many of their contributors. Sam_Walker123456

12:11pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

Sam_Walker123456 wrote:
Buster Preciation wrote:
Suddenly a massive jump in the number of positive and negative thumbs. I suspect multiple accounts again. I bet the perpetrator is the first to claim to be democratic as well.
There is probably some truth in what you say Buster. But what a lot of effort for somebody to go to! The largest number of thumbs against any comment is 24. If half of these are not genuine then somebody has to have 12 accounts and needs to log in and out 12 times in order to register 12 different votes. An alternative is a number of people working in conjunction, but again what a lot of effort to go to to! I suspect it is a combination of both.
The only way it can be prevented is if The Gazette makes it compulsory for all of us to supply full, checkable personal details as I have suggested before. But it ain't going to happen because they would lose many of their contributors.
Or they might just loose one or two if some saddo does have multiples
[quote][p][bold]Sam_Walker123456[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buster Preciation[/bold] wrote: Suddenly a massive jump in the number of positive and negative thumbs. I suspect multiple accounts again. I bet the perpetrator is the first to claim to be democratic as well.[/p][/quote]There is probably some truth in what you say Buster. But what a lot of effort for somebody to go to! The largest number of thumbs against any comment is 24. If half of these are not genuine then somebody has to have 12 accounts and needs to log in and out 12 times in order to register 12 different votes. An alternative is a number of people working in conjunction, but again what a lot of effort to go to to! I suspect it is a combination of both. The only way it can be prevented is if The Gazette makes it compulsory for all of us to supply full, checkable personal details as I have suggested before. But it ain't going to happen because they would lose many of their contributors.[/p][/quote]Or they might just loose one or two if some saddo does have multiples Folkestone Saint

12:16pm Fri 13 Dec 13

popleyrebel2 says...

Don’t give a toss about thumbs up/down, I give my opinion, end of, and certainly don’t contribute (comment) to win any popularity contest.
Don’t give a toss about thumbs up/down, I give my opinion, end of, and certainly don’t contribute (comment) to win any popularity contest. popleyrebel2

2:41pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

Folkestone Saint says...'Or they might just loose one or two if some saddo does have multiples.'
More than that, because how many posters want to keep their anonimity?
popleyrebel2 says that they don’t contribute to win any popularity contest.
Pity because I would vote for you.
Folkestone Saint says...'Or they might just loose one or two if some saddo does have multiples.' More than that, because how many posters want to keep their anonimity? popleyrebel2 says that they don’t contribute to win any popularity contest. Pity because I would vote for you. Sam_Walker123456

6:29pm Fri 13 Dec 13

popleyrebel2 says...

Sam, we have had many brilliant debates over the years, mostly, if not all on local issues, some you win some you lose, that said, I would like to think that people respect other opinions.
As for marking your own homework, (thumbs up/down) that’s only for losers.
Most thumbs up on this thread are well written/ presented and factual and therefore deserve full marks.
Sam, we have had many brilliant debates over the years, mostly, if not all on local issues, some you win some you lose, that said, I would like to think that people respect other opinions. As for marking your own homework, (thumbs up/down) that’s only for losers. Most thumbs up on this thread are well written/ presented and factual and therefore deserve full marks. popleyrebel2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree