When news happens, text BAZ and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Ambulance service urges residents to stay safe on Bonfire Night
AS BONFIRE Night draws near, the local ambulance service is urging Basingstoke residents to enjoy fireworks safely.
Last year South Central Ambulance Service was called to five incidents involving fireworks in early November, compared with four such incidents in 2010 and 13 calls in 2009.
In preparation for the celebrations, the ambulance service has put out some guidance on how to stay safe, urging people to buy fireworks which meet the British Standard from reputable shops and to read the instructions carefully.
People are also being encouraged to make suitable supports and launchers and to have a bucket of water to hand and a bucket of earth to stick fireworks in.
Fireworks should be lit at arm’s length using a taper and should not be set off by someone who has been drinking alcohol.
You should never go back to a firework that has been lit, even if it hasn’t gone off.
Children using sparklers should always wear gloves and should not throw used sparklers on a bonfire.
The ambulance service is also advising that pets should be kept indoors. For a more information about how to stay safe this Bonfire Night visit southcentral ambulance.nhs.uk.