When news happens, text BAZ and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Death by careless driving charge dropped for Odiham man
AN ODIHAM man says he “wants to move on with his life” after a charge of causing death by careless driving was dropped.
John Fletcher, 63, of King Street, Odiham, was due to stand trial at Lewes Crown Court in Sussex on September 17, accused of causing the death of German motorcyclist Andre Evers.
But on the first day of trial, which had been switched to Hove, he was told that prosecutors believed there was insufficient evidence to proceed with the case, and he was formally found not guilty.
He told The Gazette : “It was absolutely dreadful. I just want to put the whole thing behind me and move on with my life. The person I feel most sorry for is the widow of the man that died. It’s been harrowing for her and for me.”
The accident took place on the B2141 near Chichester on September 16 last year as both men travelled to the Goodwood Revival meeting.
Both were travelling in the same direction and Mr Fletcher said the collision took place when he was attempting to overtake Mr Evers.
He said: “I have believed all along that I had not been guilty of any offence. I was not speeding, and I was perfectly within my rights to be doing what I was doing. It was a tragic accident.”
Andy Freeman, senior media relations officer for Sussex Police, said that Mr Fletcher “was advised that following a review, prosecutors had decided there was insufficient evidence to proceed with the case.”
Comments are closed on this article.