Suspected chemical poisoning on industrial estate

First published in News by , Senior Reporter

A MAN was taken to hospital after complaining of feeling ill while working with cyanide on a Basingstoke industrial estate.

A total of 16 firefighters were called to APPH, a hydraulics manufacturer in Bilton Road, Daneshill, at around midday today, after reports that the worker had suspected chemical poisoning.

Crew manager Stuart Eade, of Basingstoke fire station, said the 46-year-old man had complained of a metal taste in his mouth and a tingling sensation in his toes after working with cadmium cyanide.

He added: “We are not quite sure how he got into contact with it, whether it was through his hands or just fumes.

“He was taken to hospital as a precaution. There was no action taken by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service. We waited for information from hospital that he was fine and then we left.”

The fire crews, which included three engines from Basingstoke fire station and a specialist vehicle from the service’s headquarters in Eastleigh, left at around 1.30pm. The Health and Safety Executive has been informed.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree