Controversial new store plans to be displayed

Controversial new store plans to be displayed

Controversial new store plans to be displayed

First published in News

PLANS for a controversial new supermarket in the Brighton Hill area of Basingstoke will go on display next week.

Tesco will be holding a public exhibition on September 5 and 6 at Viables Community Centre to showcase their plans for a new supermarket and 48 homes on the former Smiths Industries site, in The Harrow Way.

Residents are invited to view the plans at the community centre, in The Harrow Way between 1pm and 7pm on September 5 and 12noon and 3.30pm on September 6.

The supermarket says the new store will provide 200 new full and part-time jobs.

As reported by The Gazette, in July 2012, the company was refused permission to build a 63,000 sq ft store on the same site.

An appeal against the rejection of the plans by Basingstoke and Deane borough councillors was also dismissed last year by the Government’s planning inspectorate following a seven-day planning inquiry, because of the impact on nearby shops. Tesco has now come forward with revised plans.

Jack Pearson, Tesco’s regional corporate affairs manager, said: “We want to share our new plans with the local community and encourage people to come along and chat to us about them.

“Members of our development team will be on hand throughout the exhibition to explain our ideas and answer any questions visitors may have.”

He added: “We believe that a smaller store, around two-thirds the size of the one originally suggested, will still provide a great new shopping experience.

“It will also allow us to regenerate the rest of the brownfield site by building up to 48 attractive new homes for the local community, which will include much-needed affordable housing.”

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:09am Mon 1 Sep 14

poi000 says...

It doersn't matter how good the display is, this is too close to Asda. Stop blocking the land and allow it to be developed more sensibly.
It doersn't matter how good the display is, this is too close to Asda. Stop blocking the land and allow it to be developed more sensibly. poi000
  • Score: 3

10:29am Mon 1 Sep 14

JJ38JJ says...

poi000 wrote:
It doersn't matter how good the display is, this is too close to Asda. Stop blocking the land and allow it to be developed more sensibly.
Too close to Asda for what?
[quote][p][bold]poi000[/bold] wrote: It doersn't matter how good the display is, this is too close to Asda. Stop blocking the land and allow it to be developed more sensibly.[/p][/quote]Too close to Asda for what? JJ38JJ
  • Score: 7

1:02pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Whatever next says...

Like we don't have enough Tesco stores in Basingstoke already. Sorry should that be Tescostoke!
Like we don't have enough Tesco stores in Basingstoke already. Sorry should that be Tescostoke! Whatever next
  • Score: 0

1:51pm Mon 1 Sep 14

JJ38JJ says...

Whatever next wrote:
Like we don't have enough Tesco stores in Basingstoke already. Sorry should that be Tescostoke!
Whether you love or hate or are indifferent to Tesco you can't argue with their ability to make money. The complaint that it is 'too close to Asda' or 'we have enough Tescos' is irrelevant. The risk is entirely Tesco's. If you don't want to shop there then don't, no one is forcing you to. My guess is that they have done their research and will be able to make then new shop profitable.
And for those of you who complain that the big supermarkets are forcing small businesses to close I would say it's far too late for that.
[quote][p][bold]Whatever next[/bold] wrote: Like we don't have enough Tesco stores in Basingstoke already. Sorry should that be Tescostoke![/p][/quote]Whether you love or hate or are indifferent to Tesco you can't argue with their ability to make money. The complaint that it is 'too close to Asda' or 'we have enough Tescos' is irrelevant. The risk is entirely Tesco's. If you don't want to shop there then don't, no one is forcing you to. My guess is that they have done their research and will be able to make then new shop profitable. And for those of you who complain that the big supermarkets are forcing small businesses to close I would say it's far too late for that. JJ38JJ
  • Score: 11

3:36pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Ladybird24 says...

Tesco was rejected because of loss of business to the Brighton Hill centre and also due to the fact that there will be the new Waitrose store soon.
Although I believe in competion I do feel ther are far to many supermarkets on this side of town, and to add Tesco into the area is ridiculous. We will end up with too many supermarkets none of which will be running at 'full potential'. There is also the problem with extra traffic , which won't help, especially in the rush hour.
I personally wish Tesco would accept the fact that they have been turned down before and leave well alone. It has taken years for the Brighton Hill people to get a thriving shopping centre back into place, which really benefits the community. We DONT want that ruined!!
Tesco was rejected because of loss of business to the Brighton Hill centre and also due to the fact that there will be the new Waitrose store soon. Although I believe in competion I do feel ther are far to many supermarkets on this side of town, and to add Tesco into the area is ridiculous. We will end up with too many supermarkets none of which will be running at 'full potential'. There is also the problem with extra traffic , which won't help, especially in the rush hour. I personally wish Tesco would accept the fact that they have been turned down before and leave well alone. It has taken years for the Brighton Hill people to get a thriving shopping centre back into place, which really benefits the community. We DONT want that ruined!! Ladybird24
  • Score: 10

3:53pm Mon 1 Sep 14

BV0018 says...

Surely this is the wring side of town? Would Tesco not be better off investing in/re-invogorating the pitiful Chineham store? Either that or another Tesco site on the Chineham side of town.

The Brighton Hill area is well served by Asda, Sainsburys (Kempshot) and Morrisons. Surely a Tesco site within the same driving distance for customers as the other stores is supermarket superstore saturation?
Surely this is the wring side of town? Would Tesco not be better off investing in/re-invogorating the pitiful Chineham store? Either that or another Tesco site on the Chineham side of town. The Brighton Hill area is well served by Asda, Sainsburys (Kempshot) and Morrisons. Surely a Tesco site within the same driving distance for customers as the other stores is supermarket superstore saturation? BV0018
  • Score: 1

3:54pm Mon 1 Sep 14

JJ38JJ says...

Why would there be extra traffic? People won't eat more food because there is another supermarket. What traffic is already present because of Asda and Sainsbury's will be spread over three sites not two. If anything there will be less traffic as three sites will mean more people can walk to a local shop rather than driving to one further away.
I can't understand the idea of 'too many supermarkets'. The rules of supply and demand suggest we will end up with the right number of the right size.
Why would there be extra traffic? People won't eat more food because there is another supermarket. What traffic is already present because of Asda and Sainsbury's will be spread over three sites not two. If anything there will be less traffic as three sites will mean more people can walk to a local shop rather than driving to one further away. I can't understand the idea of 'too many supermarkets'. The rules of supply and demand suggest we will end up with the right number of the right size. JJ38JJ
  • Score: -2

3:56pm Mon 1 Sep 14

JJ38JJ says...

BV0018 wrote:
Surely this is the wring side of town? Would Tesco not be better off investing in/re-invogorating the pitiful Chineham store? Either that or another Tesco site on the Chineham side of town.

The Brighton Hill area is well served by Asda, Sainsburys (Kempshot) and Morrisons. Surely a Tesco site within the same driving distance for customers as the other stores is supermarket superstore saturation?
Tesco have a good track record of correctly predicting when they are going to be 'better off'. If you want to object then fair enough but leave the business risk up to Tesco.
[quote][p][bold]BV0018[/bold] wrote: Surely this is the wring side of town? Would Tesco not be better off investing in/re-invogorating the pitiful Chineham store? Either that or another Tesco site on the Chineham side of town. The Brighton Hill area is well served by Asda, Sainsburys (Kempshot) and Morrisons. Surely a Tesco site within the same driving distance for customers as the other stores is supermarket superstore saturation?[/p][/quote]Tesco have a good track record of correctly predicting when they are going to be 'better off'. If you want to object then fair enough but leave the business risk up to Tesco. JJ38JJ
  • Score: 0

3:59pm Mon 1 Sep 14

jonone says...

Ladybird24 wrote:
Tesco was rejected because of loss of business to the Brighton Hill centre and also due to the fact that there will be the new Waitrose store soon. Although I believe in competion I do feel ther are far to many supermarkets on this side of town, and to add Tesco into the area is ridiculous. We will end up with too many supermarkets none of which will be running at 'full potential'. There is also the problem with extra traffic , which won't help, especially in the rush hour. I personally wish Tesco would accept the fact that they have been turned down before and leave well alone. It has taken years for the Brighton Hill people to get a thriving shopping centre back into place, which really benefits the community. We DONT want that ruined!!
So, all these supermarkets will not be operating at full potential, but one factor against the extra one is more traffic. Where is that traffic coming from? Chances are, a good chunk of potential shoppers at this new Tesco will be people who drive through that way anyway. What it may do is increase traffic on the Harrow Way as the entrance is likely to be there.

But, to be honest, the west side of Basingstoke will have Sainsburys, ASDA and the new Tesco, the centre will have Morrisons, Waitrose and the Tesco and Sainsburys in the pedestrian area and the east will have Tesco. Add the two Lidls either side and you have a good even spread of shops for people to choose. Nobody will force you to shop in the new Tesco, you can go where you like, including little, independent companies.
[quote][p][bold]Ladybird24[/bold] wrote: Tesco was rejected because of loss of business to the Brighton Hill centre and also due to the fact that there will be the new Waitrose store soon. Although I believe in competion I do feel ther are far to many supermarkets on this side of town, and to add Tesco into the area is ridiculous. We will end up with too many supermarkets none of which will be running at 'full potential'. There is also the problem with extra traffic , which won't help, especially in the rush hour. I personally wish Tesco would accept the fact that they have been turned down before and leave well alone. It has taken years for the Brighton Hill people to get a thriving shopping centre back into place, which really benefits the community. We DONT want that ruined!![/p][/quote]So, all these supermarkets will not be operating at full potential, but one factor against the extra one is more traffic. Where is that traffic coming from? Chances are, a good chunk of potential shoppers at this new Tesco will be people who drive through that way anyway. What it may do is increase traffic on the Harrow Way as the entrance is likely to be there. But, to be honest, the west side of Basingstoke will have Sainsburys, ASDA and the new Tesco, the centre will have Morrisons, Waitrose and the Tesco and Sainsburys in the pedestrian area and the east will have Tesco. Add the two Lidls either side and you have a good even spread of shops for people to choose. Nobody will force you to shop in the new Tesco, you can go where you like, including little, independent companies. jonone
  • Score: -5

8:43am Tue 2 Sep 14

Malshubby says...

If TESCO would only listern to the residents of Brighton Hill in the majority they would have packed this up years ago, but as with all business the profit sign comes before the peoples voice. TESCO think that they can railroad this through. Now that the smaller shops are thriving, the new NISA store in Cranbourne for example will lose business.
If TESCO would only listern to the residents of Brighton Hill in the majority they would have packed this up years ago, but as with all business the profit sign comes before the peoples voice. TESCO think that they can railroad this through. Now that the smaller shops are thriving, the new NISA store in Cranbourne for example will lose business. Malshubby
  • Score: -2

11:49am Tue 2 Sep 14

jonone says...

Malshubby wrote:
If TESCO would only listern to the residents of Brighton Hill in the majority they would have packed this up years ago, but as with all business the profit sign comes before the peoples voice. TESCO think that they can railroad this through. Now that the smaller shops are thriving, the new NISA store in Cranbourne for example will lose business.
But the store would not only serve Brighton Hill.
[quote][p][bold]Malshubby[/bold] wrote: If TESCO would only listern to the residents of Brighton Hill in the majority they would have packed this up years ago, but as with all business the profit sign comes before the peoples voice. TESCO think that they can railroad this through. Now that the smaller shops are thriving, the new NISA store in Cranbourne for example will lose business.[/p][/quote]But the store would not only serve Brighton Hill. jonone
  • Score: 7

11:32pm Tue 2 Sep 14

THX 1138 says...

JJ38JJ wrote:
Why would there be extra traffic? People won't eat more food because there is another supermarket. What traffic is already present because of Asda and Sainsbury's will be spread over three sites not two. If anything there will be less traffic as three sites will mean more people can walk to a local shop rather than driving to one further away.
I can't understand the idea of 'too many supermarkets'. The rules of supply and demand suggest we will end up with the right number of the right size.
There will be more traffic because Basingstoke will have thousands of new homes built in the next decade. Tesco know this and its why they want a new supermarket - more homes equals more customers. The traffic situation is going to get a lot worse in the next ten years regardless of any new supermarkets. You also seem to assume that people only shop at one supermarket. However, many people will now shop at several supermarkets, depending on which has the best deals on the products they want. This is especially the case when you have several supermarkets in close proximity. Therefore, it seems entirely reasonable to expect an increase in traffic if this new Tesco is built.
[quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: Why would there be extra traffic? People won't eat more food because there is another supermarket. What traffic is already present because of Asda and Sainsbury's will be spread over three sites not two. If anything there will be less traffic as three sites will mean more people can walk to a local shop rather than driving to one further away. I can't understand the idea of 'too many supermarkets'. The rules of supply and demand suggest we will end up with the right number of the right size.[/p][/quote]There will be more traffic because Basingstoke will have thousands of new homes built in the next decade. Tesco know this and its why they want a new supermarket - more homes equals more customers. The traffic situation is going to get a lot worse in the next ten years regardless of any new supermarkets. You also seem to assume that people only shop at one supermarket. However, many people will now shop at several supermarkets, depending on which has the best deals on the products they want. This is especially the case when you have several supermarkets in close proximity. Therefore, it seems entirely reasonable to expect an increase in traffic if this new Tesco is built. THX 1138
  • Score: 2

6:46am Wed 3 Sep 14

thesquiff says...

Excellent. It would be great to have a proper size Tesco in town. Hopefully they will still rebuild the Brighton Hill roundabout at the same time although the council has probably already scuppered that one.

I suspect that if the council surveyed the average person on the street the population of Basingstoke would be quite supportive of the plans, although I suspect the NIMBYS with nothing better to do will shout it down as usual.
Excellent. It would be great to have a proper size Tesco in town. Hopefully they will still rebuild the Brighton Hill roundabout at the same time although the council has probably already scuppered that one. I suspect that if the council surveyed the average person on the street the population of Basingstoke would be quite supportive of the plans, although I suspect the NIMBYS with nothing better to do will shout it down as usual. thesquiff
  • Score: 0

8:27am Wed 3 Sep 14

JJ38JJ says...

THX 1138 wrote:
JJ38JJ wrote:
Why would there be extra traffic? People won't eat more food because there is another supermarket. What traffic is already present because of Asda and Sainsbury's will be spread over three sites not two. If anything there will be less traffic as three sites will mean more people can walk to a local shop rather than driving to one further away.
I can't understand the idea of 'too many supermarkets'. The rules of supply and demand suggest we will end up with the right number of the right size.
There will be more traffic because Basingstoke will have thousands of new homes built in the next decade. Tesco know this and its why they want a new supermarket - more homes equals more customers. The traffic situation is going to get a lot worse in the next ten years regardless of any new supermarkets. You also seem to assume that people only shop at one supermarket. However, many people will now shop at several supermarkets, depending on which has the best deals on the products they want. This is especially the case when you have several supermarkets in close proximity. Therefore, it seems entirely reasonable to expect an increase in traffic if this new Tesco is built.
I agree there are going to be thousands of new houses - all the more reason to out some sort of infrastructure in place now.
How does shopping around lead to more traffic? If I go to Tesco this week and Sainsbury's next week I'm still eating the same amount of food and only going shopping twice. If you are suggestion that I might want to go to both shops in one week to seek out the best deals then that is something to be encouraged in the interests of competition. If the council tried to block the development on those grounds then it would be very dodgy.
[quote][p][bold]THX 1138[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: Why would there be extra traffic? People won't eat more food because there is another supermarket. What traffic is already present because of Asda and Sainsbury's will be spread over three sites not two. If anything there will be less traffic as three sites will mean more people can walk to a local shop rather than driving to one further away. I can't understand the idea of 'too many supermarkets'. The rules of supply and demand suggest we will end up with the right number of the right size.[/p][/quote]There will be more traffic because Basingstoke will have thousands of new homes built in the next decade. Tesco know this and its why they want a new supermarket - more homes equals more customers. The traffic situation is going to get a lot worse in the next ten years regardless of any new supermarkets. You also seem to assume that people only shop at one supermarket. However, many people will now shop at several supermarkets, depending on which has the best deals on the products they want. This is especially the case when you have several supermarkets in close proximity. Therefore, it seems entirely reasonable to expect an increase in traffic if this new Tesco is built.[/p][/quote]I agree there are going to be thousands of new houses - all the more reason to out some sort of infrastructure in place now. How does shopping around lead to more traffic? If I go to Tesco this week and Sainsbury's next week I'm still eating the same amount of food and only going shopping twice. If you are suggestion that I might want to go to both shops in one week to seek out the best deals then that is something to be encouraged in the interests of competition. If the council tried to block the development on those grounds then it would be very dodgy. JJ38JJ
  • Score: -1

10:57am Wed 3 Sep 14

Sam_Walker123456 says...

JJ38JJ wrote:
Whatever next wrote:
Like we don't have enough Tesco stores in Basingstoke already. Sorry should that be Tescostoke!
Whether you love or hate or are indifferent to Tesco you can't argue with their ability to make money. The complaint that it is 'too close to Asda' or 'we have enough Tescos' is irrelevant. The risk is entirely Tesco's. If you don't want to shop there then don't, no one is forcing you to. My guess is that they have done their research and will be able to make then new shop profitable.
And for those of you who complain that the big supermarkets are forcing small businesses to close I would say it's far too late for that.
I can argue with Tesco's ability to make money as their latest figures show. They are being squeezed between the Lidl type stores on the one hand and the Waitrose type stores on the other and they have yet to find a strategy to fight back. Their like-for-like turnover and profits are falling - something which has not happened for decades.
You are right that the risk of there being too many Tesco or being too close to Asda is entirely Tesco's risk.
Although the fight to save small businesses might seem like a lost cause on the national scale it is not too late on the local scale. Many towns and localities have controlled the invasion of the giants in order to help secure the smaller local businesses for the benfit of the local population. I think the planners should carefully consider the future viablilty of businesses in Brighton Hill if Tesco is allowed to open a store in competition.
Yes, we do not have to use Tesco or any other supermarket but if other businesses cease trading then we will all be forced to anyway.
[quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Whatever next[/bold] wrote: Like we don't have enough Tesco stores in Basingstoke already. Sorry should that be Tescostoke![/p][/quote]Whether you love or hate or are indifferent to Tesco you can't argue with their ability to make money. The complaint that it is 'too close to Asda' or 'we have enough Tescos' is irrelevant. The risk is entirely Tesco's. If you don't want to shop there then don't, no one is forcing you to. My guess is that they have done their research and will be able to make then new shop profitable. And for those of you who complain that the big supermarkets are forcing small businesses to close I would say it's far too late for that.[/p][/quote]I can argue with Tesco's ability to make money as their latest figures show. They are being squeezed between the Lidl type stores on the one hand and the Waitrose type stores on the other and they have yet to find a strategy to fight back. Their like-for-like turnover and profits are falling - something which has not happened for decades. You are right that the risk of there being too many Tesco or being too close to Asda is entirely Tesco's risk. Although the fight to save small businesses might seem like a lost cause on the national scale it is not too late on the local scale. Many towns and localities have controlled the invasion of the giants in order to help secure the smaller local businesses for the benfit of the local population. I think the planners should carefully consider the future viablilty of businesses in Brighton Hill if Tesco is allowed to open a store in competition. Yes, we do not have to use Tesco or any other supermarket but if other businesses cease trading then we will all be forced to anyway. Sam_Walker123456
  • Score: 7

11:00am Wed 3 Sep 14

THX 1138 says...

JJ38JJ wrote:
THX 1138 wrote:
JJ38JJ wrote:
Why would there be extra traffic? People won't eat more food because there is another supermarket. What traffic is already present because of Asda and Sainsbury's will be spread over three sites not two. If anything there will be less traffic as three sites will mean more people can walk to a local shop rather than driving to one further away.
I can't understand the idea of 'too many supermarkets'. The rules of supply and demand suggest we will end up with the right number of the right size.
There will be more traffic because Basingstoke will have thousands of new homes built in the next decade. Tesco know this and its why they want a new supermarket - more homes equals more customers. The traffic situation is going to get a lot worse in the next ten years regardless of any new supermarkets. You also seem to assume that people only shop at one supermarket. However, many people will now shop at several supermarkets, depending on which has the best deals on the products they want. This is especially the case when you have several supermarkets in close proximity. Therefore, it seems entirely reasonable to expect an increase in traffic if this new Tesco is built.
I agree there are going to be thousands of new houses - all the more reason to out some sort of infrastructure in place now.
How does shopping around lead to more traffic? If I go to Tesco this week and Sainsbury's next week I'm still eating the same amount of food and only going shopping twice. If you are suggestion that I might want to go to both shops in one week to seek out the best deals then that is something to be encouraged in the interests of competition. If the council tried to block the development on those grounds then it would be very dodgy.
Many studies have shown that more supermarkets lead to more traffic. Shopping patterns are changing - fewer people do one large weekly shopping trip to the supermarket. More people are buying less on each occasion but more frequently - going to a supermarket 2 or 3 times a week (and going to different supermarkets). The amount of food purchased (leaving aside the fact that supermarkets sell more than just food) may be the same but more car journeys are being made to purchase the food. It is not just me saying this - supermarkets themselves recognise the trend, hence the move away from huge superstores towards smaller stores. Supermarkets encourage car use through large 'free' car parks. Finally, many households will need to increase the amount they spend on food because children arrive!
[quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]THX 1138[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: Why would there be extra traffic? People won't eat more food because there is another supermarket. What traffic is already present because of Asda and Sainsbury's will be spread over three sites not two. If anything there will be less traffic as three sites will mean more people can walk to a local shop rather than driving to one further away. I can't understand the idea of 'too many supermarkets'. The rules of supply and demand suggest we will end up with the right number of the right size.[/p][/quote]There will be more traffic because Basingstoke will have thousands of new homes built in the next decade. Tesco know this and its why they want a new supermarket - more homes equals more customers. The traffic situation is going to get a lot worse in the next ten years regardless of any new supermarkets. You also seem to assume that people only shop at one supermarket. However, many people will now shop at several supermarkets, depending on which has the best deals on the products they want. This is especially the case when you have several supermarkets in close proximity. Therefore, it seems entirely reasonable to expect an increase in traffic if this new Tesco is built.[/p][/quote]I agree there are going to be thousands of new houses - all the more reason to out some sort of infrastructure in place now. How does shopping around lead to more traffic? If I go to Tesco this week and Sainsbury's next week I'm still eating the same amount of food and only going shopping twice. If you are suggestion that I might want to go to both shops in one week to seek out the best deals then that is something to be encouraged in the interests of competition. If the council tried to block the development on those grounds then it would be very dodgy.[/p][/quote]Many studies have shown that more supermarkets lead to more traffic. Shopping patterns are changing - fewer people do one large weekly shopping trip to the supermarket. More people are buying less on each occasion but more frequently - going to a supermarket 2 or 3 times a week (and going to different supermarkets). The amount of food purchased (leaving aside the fact that supermarkets sell more than just food) may be the same but more car journeys are being made to purchase the food. It is not just me saying this - supermarkets themselves recognise the trend, hence the move away from huge superstores towards smaller stores. Supermarkets encourage car use through large 'free' car parks. Finally, many households will need to increase the amount they spend on food because children arrive! THX 1138
  • Score: -1

11:52am Wed 3 Sep 14

Malshubby says...

How can we sit and watch our shopping cente, festival place being boarded up due to empty shops and sanction another outlet out of town when we already have a TESCOs outlet in and out of town?
How can we sit and watch our shopping cente, festival place being boarded up due to empty shops and sanction another outlet out of town when we already have a TESCOs outlet in and out of town? Malshubby
  • Score: 1

1:27pm Wed 3 Sep 14

CrossofLorraine says...

I read last month that ASDA was the only grocer from the big four to grow market share in the past three months as Tesco’s sales dropped 4%. Tesco suffered the biggest market share fall of all the supermarkets, dropping from 30.2% last year to 28.8% in the 12 weeks to August 17.
Morrisons’ share dropped 0.3% to 11% year on year over the period as sales dipped 1.9%. Sainsbury’s share dipped 0.1% to 16.4% despite sales edging up 0.3%
Meanwhile, Asda’s share inched up 0.1% to 17.2% as sales rose 1.2%. Aldi and Lidl have maintained their record shares of 4.8% and 3.6% respectively. Market share jumped from 3.7% last year to 4.8% over the period as Aldi and Lidl’s share rose from 3.1% to 3.6%.
ASDA(Walmart) have nothing to fear from Tesco’s competitively, but they both fear Aldi & Lidl jn the UK, therefore if any supermarket is built on this site I’d like to see an Aldi in B’stoke. According to Which?, Aldi are rated the best supermarket chain in UK for service/range/price. This would impact much on the takeaways/hairdresse
rs/PO/GP’s/conveni
ence stores in Buckland/Brighton Hill & Kings Road Parades? I doubt it as these types of retailers/services exist in close proximity to supermarkets elsewhere - but I would fear for the decent butchers in Kings Road.
I read last month that ASDA was the only grocer from the big four to grow market share in the past three months as Tesco’s sales dropped 4%. Tesco suffered the biggest market share fall of all the supermarkets, dropping from 30.2% last year to 28.8% in the 12 weeks to August 17. Morrisons’ share dropped 0.3% to 11% year on year over the period as sales dipped 1.9%. Sainsbury’s share dipped 0.1% to 16.4% despite sales edging up 0.3% Meanwhile, Asda’s share inched up 0.1% to 17.2% as sales rose 1.2%. Aldi and Lidl have maintained their record shares of 4.8% and 3.6% respectively. Market share jumped from 3.7% last year to 4.8% over the period as Aldi and Lidl’s share rose from 3.1% to 3.6%. ASDA(Walmart) have nothing to fear from Tesco’s competitively, but they both fear Aldi & Lidl jn the UK, therefore if any supermarket is built on this site I’d like to see an Aldi in B’stoke. According to Which?, Aldi are rated the best supermarket chain in UK for service/range/price. This would impact much on the takeaways/hairdresse rs/PO/GP’s/conveni ence stores in Buckland/Brighton Hill & Kings Road Parades? I doubt it as these types of retailers/services exist in close proximity to supermarkets elsewhere - but I would fear for the decent butchers in Kings Road. CrossofLorraine
  • Score: 3

1:53pm Wed 3 Sep 14

JJ38JJ says...

It's not for the council to choose which retailer they give permission to. They can't favour one over another. They simply give permission to build a supermarket. I agree that for consumers it would offer more choice and competition to have a Aldi in town but Aldi haven't applied to build. That's not Tesco's fault.
It's not for the council to choose which retailer they give permission to. They can't favour one over another. They simply give permission to build a supermarket. I agree that for consumers it would offer more choice and competition to have a Aldi in town but Aldi haven't applied to build. That's not Tesco's fault. JJ38JJ
  • Score: 1

1:59pm Wed 3 Sep 14

JJ38JJ says...

THX 1138 wrote:
JJ38JJ wrote:
THX 1138 wrote:
JJ38JJ wrote:
Why would there be extra traffic? People won't eat more food because there is another supermarket. What traffic is already present because of Asda and Sainsbury's will be spread over three sites not two. If anything there will be less traffic as three sites will mean more people can walk to a local shop rather than driving to one further away.
I can't understand the idea of 'too many supermarkets'. The rules of supply and demand suggest we will end up with the right number of the right size.
There will be more traffic because Basingstoke will have thousands of new homes built in the next decade. Tesco know this and its why they want a new supermarket - more homes equals more customers. The traffic situation is going to get a lot worse in the next ten years regardless of any new supermarkets. You also seem to assume that people only shop at one supermarket. However, many people will now shop at several supermarkets, depending on which has the best deals on the products they want. This is especially the case when you have several supermarkets in close proximity. Therefore, it seems entirely reasonable to expect an increase in traffic if this new Tesco is built.
I agree there are going to be thousands of new houses - all the more reason to out some sort of infrastructure in place now.
How does shopping around lead to more traffic? If I go to Tesco this week and Sainsbury's next week I'm still eating the same amount of food and only going shopping twice. If you are suggestion that I might want to go to both shops in one week to seek out the best deals then that is something to be encouraged in the interests of competition. If the council tried to block the development on those grounds then it would be very dodgy.
Many studies have shown that more supermarkets lead to more traffic. Shopping patterns are changing - fewer people do one large weekly shopping trip to the supermarket. More people are buying less on each occasion but more frequently - going to a supermarket 2 or 3 times a week (and going to different supermarkets). The amount of food purchased (leaving aside the fact that supermarkets sell more than just food) may be the same but more car journeys are being made to purchase the food. It is not just me saying this - supermarkets themselves recognise the trend, hence the move away from huge superstores towards smaller stores. Supermarkets encourage car use through large 'free' car parks. Finally, many households will need to increase the amount they spend on food because children arrive!
Can you explain how your last sentence is relevant to your argument? And can you give an example of a study where it is proven that more supermarkets lead to more traffic. If there are 'many' you shouldn't have a problem.
[quote][p][bold]THX 1138[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]THX 1138[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: Why would there be extra traffic? People won't eat more food because there is another supermarket. What traffic is already present because of Asda and Sainsbury's will be spread over three sites not two. If anything there will be less traffic as three sites will mean more people can walk to a local shop rather than driving to one further away. I can't understand the idea of 'too many supermarkets'. The rules of supply and demand suggest we will end up with the right number of the right size.[/p][/quote]There will be more traffic because Basingstoke will have thousands of new homes built in the next decade. Tesco know this and its why they want a new supermarket - more homes equals more customers. The traffic situation is going to get a lot worse in the next ten years regardless of any new supermarkets. You also seem to assume that people only shop at one supermarket. However, many people will now shop at several supermarkets, depending on which has the best deals on the products they want. This is especially the case when you have several supermarkets in close proximity. Therefore, it seems entirely reasonable to expect an increase in traffic if this new Tesco is built.[/p][/quote]I agree there are going to be thousands of new houses - all the more reason to out some sort of infrastructure in place now. How does shopping around lead to more traffic? If I go to Tesco this week and Sainsbury's next week I'm still eating the same amount of food and only going shopping twice. If you are suggestion that I might want to go to both shops in one week to seek out the best deals then that is something to be encouraged in the interests of competition. If the council tried to block the development on those grounds then it would be very dodgy.[/p][/quote]Many studies have shown that more supermarkets lead to more traffic. Shopping patterns are changing - fewer people do one large weekly shopping trip to the supermarket. More people are buying less on each occasion but more frequently - going to a supermarket 2 or 3 times a week (and going to different supermarkets). The amount of food purchased (leaving aside the fact that supermarkets sell more than just food) may be the same but more car journeys are being made to purchase the food. It is not just me saying this - supermarkets themselves recognise the trend, hence the move away from huge superstores towards smaller stores. Supermarkets encourage car use through large 'free' car parks. Finally, many households will need to increase the amount they spend on food because children arrive![/p][/quote]Can you explain how your last sentence is relevant to your argument? And can you give an example of a study where it is proven that more supermarkets lead to more traffic. If there are 'many' you shouldn't have a problem. JJ38JJ
  • Score: 0

8:51am Thu 4 Sep 14

jonone says...

Malshubby wrote:
How can we sit and watch our shopping cente, festival place being boarded up due to empty shops and sanction another outlet out of town when we already have a TESCOs outlet in and out of town?
I reckon, in rough estimate, Festival Place is at around 90% occupancy (based on unit numbers not floor space) - give or take a few percent.

Given how crowed it is at weekends and how busy its car park is, hardly an indication of economic failure.
[quote][p][bold]Malshubby[/bold] wrote: How can we sit and watch our shopping cente, festival place being boarded up due to empty shops and sanction another outlet out of town when we already have a TESCOs outlet in and out of town?[/p][/quote]I reckon, in rough estimate, Festival Place is at around 90% occupancy (based on unit numbers not floor space) - give or take a few percent. Given how crowed it is at weekends and how busy its car park is, hardly an indication of economic failure. jonone
  • Score: 1

10:35am Thu 4 Sep 14

JJ38JJ says...

jonone wrote:
Malshubby wrote:
How can we sit and watch our shopping cente, festival place being boarded up due to empty shops and sanction another outlet out of town when we already have a TESCOs outlet in and out of town?
I reckon, in rough estimate, Festival Place is at around 90% occupancy (based on unit numbers not floor space) - give or take a few percent.

Given how crowed it is at weekends and how busy its car park is, hardly an indication of economic failure.
Very true. And the ones that are boarded up are not boarded up for long - just between tenants. Besides we are talking a different type of retail here. There is no point putting a supermarket big enough for a week's shopping in Festival Place. If Malshubby wants to compare like-for-like he/she should see how busy the existing out-of-town supermarkets are. And none of them are boarded up.
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Malshubby[/bold] wrote: How can we sit and watch our shopping cente, festival place being boarded up due to empty shops and sanction another outlet out of town when we already have a TESCOs outlet in and out of town?[/p][/quote]I reckon, in rough estimate, Festival Place is at around 90% occupancy (based on unit numbers not floor space) - give or take a few percent. Given how crowed it is at weekends and how busy its car park is, hardly an indication of economic failure.[/p][/quote]Very true. And the ones that are boarded up are not boarded up for long - just between tenants. Besides we are talking a different type of retail here. There is no point putting a supermarket big enough for a week's shopping in Festival Place. If Malshubby wants to compare like-for-like he/she should see how busy the existing out-of-town supermarkets are. And none of them are boarded up. JJ38JJ
  • Score: 2

10:39am Thu 4 Sep 14

JJ38JJ says...

CrossofLorraine wrote:
I read last month that ASDA was the only grocer from the big four to grow market share in the past three months as Tesco’s sales dropped 4%. Tesco suffered the biggest market share fall of all the supermarkets, dropping from 30.2% last year to 28.8% in the 12 weeks to August 17.
Morrisons’ share dropped 0.3% to 11% year on year over the period as sales dipped 1.9%. Sainsbury’s share dipped 0.1% to 16.4% despite sales edging up 0.3%
Meanwhile, Asda’s share inched up 0.1% to 17.2% as sales rose 1.2%. Aldi and Lidl have maintained their record shares of 4.8% and 3.6% respectively. Market share jumped from 3.7% last year to 4.8% over the period as Aldi and Lidl’s share rose from 3.1% to 3.6%.
ASDA(Walmart) have nothing to fear from Tesco’s competitively, but they both fear Aldi & Lidl jn the UK, therefore if any supermarket is built on this site I’d like to see an Aldi in B’stoke. According to Which?, Aldi are rated the best supermarket chain in UK for service/range/price. This would impact much on the takeaways/hairdresse

rs/PO/GP’s/conveni

ence stores in Buckland/Brighton Hill & Kings Road Parades? I doubt it as these types of retailers/services exist in close proximity to supermarkets elsewhere - but I would fear for the decent butchers in Kings Road.
Are you saying people will stop having their hair cut because the supermarket next door to the salon/barber's has some local competition?
[quote][p][bold]CrossofLorraine[/bold] wrote: I read last month that ASDA was the only grocer from the big four to grow market share in the past three months as Tesco’s sales dropped 4%. Tesco suffered the biggest market share fall of all the supermarkets, dropping from 30.2% last year to 28.8% in the 12 weeks to August 17. Morrisons’ share dropped 0.3% to 11% year on year over the period as sales dipped 1.9%. Sainsbury’s share dipped 0.1% to 16.4% despite sales edging up 0.3% Meanwhile, Asda’s share inched up 0.1% to 17.2% as sales rose 1.2%. Aldi and Lidl have maintained their record shares of 4.8% and 3.6% respectively. Market share jumped from 3.7% last year to 4.8% over the period as Aldi and Lidl’s share rose from 3.1% to 3.6%. ASDA(Walmart) have nothing to fear from Tesco’s competitively, but they both fear Aldi & Lidl jn the UK, therefore if any supermarket is built on this site I’d like to see an Aldi in B’stoke. According to Which?, Aldi are rated the best supermarket chain in UK for service/range/price. This would impact much on the takeaways/hairdresse rs/PO/GP’s/conveni ence stores in Buckland/Brighton Hill & Kings Road Parades? I doubt it as these types of retailers/services exist in close proximity to supermarkets elsewhere - but I would fear for the decent butchers in Kings Road.[/p][/quote]Are you saying people will stop having their hair cut because the supermarket next door to the salon/barber's has some local competition? JJ38JJ
  • Score: 2

1:18pm Thu 4 Sep 14

CrossofLorraine says...

JJ38JJ wrote:
CrossofLorraine wrote:
I read last month that ASDA was the only grocer from the big four to grow market share in the past three months as Tesco’s sales dropped 4%. Tesco suffered the biggest market share fall of all the supermarkets, dropping from 30.2% last year to 28.8% in the 12 weeks to August 17.
Morrisons’ share dropped 0.3% to 11% year on year over the period as sales dipped 1.9%. Sainsbury’s share dipped 0.1% to 16.4% despite sales edging up 0.3%
Meanwhile, Asda’s share inched up 0.1% to 17.2% as sales rose 1.2%. Aldi and Lidl have maintained their record shares of 4.8% and 3.6% respectively. Market share jumped from 3.7% last year to 4.8% over the period as Aldi and Lidl’s share rose from 3.1% to 3.6%.
ASDA(Walmart) have nothing to fear from Tesco’s competitively, but they both fear Aldi & Lidl jn the UK, therefore if any supermarket is built on this site I’d like to see an Aldi in B’stoke. According to Which?, Aldi are rated the best supermarket chain in UK for service/range/price. This would impact much on the takeaways/hairdresse


rs/PO/GP’s/conveni


ence stores in Buckland/Brighton Hill & Kings Road Parades? I doubt it as these types of retailers/services exist in close proximity to supermarkets elsewhere - but I would fear for the decent butchers in Kings Road.
Are you saying people will stop having their hair cut because the supermarket next door to the salon/barber's has some local competition?
Oops, should have read "Would this..." and not "This would..."
[quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CrossofLorraine[/bold] wrote: I read last month that ASDA was the only grocer from the big four to grow market share in the past three months as Tesco’s sales dropped 4%. Tesco suffered the biggest market share fall of all the supermarkets, dropping from 30.2% last year to 28.8% in the 12 weeks to August 17. Morrisons’ share dropped 0.3% to 11% year on year over the period as sales dipped 1.9%. Sainsbury’s share dipped 0.1% to 16.4% despite sales edging up 0.3% Meanwhile, Asda’s share inched up 0.1% to 17.2% as sales rose 1.2%. Aldi and Lidl have maintained their record shares of 4.8% and 3.6% respectively. Market share jumped from 3.7% last year to 4.8% over the period as Aldi and Lidl’s share rose from 3.1% to 3.6%. ASDA(Walmart) have nothing to fear from Tesco’s competitively, but they both fear Aldi & Lidl jn the UK, therefore if any supermarket is built on this site I’d like to see an Aldi in B’stoke. According to Which?, Aldi are rated the best supermarket chain in UK for service/range/price. This would impact much on the takeaways/hairdresse rs/PO/GP’s/conveni ence stores in Buckland/Brighton Hill & Kings Road Parades? I doubt it as these types of retailers/services exist in close proximity to supermarkets elsewhere - but I would fear for the decent butchers in Kings Road.[/p][/quote]Are you saying people will stop having their hair cut because the supermarket next door to the salon/barber's has some local competition?[/p][/quote]Oops, should have read "Would this..." and not "This would..." CrossofLorraine
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree