Basingstoke MP Maria Miller talks exclusively to The Gazette

Basingstoke MP Maria Miller

Basingstoke MP Maria Miller

First published in News
Last updated
Exclusive by , Reporter

IN APRIL, Basingstoke MP Maria Miller was told to apologise in Parliament after a 16-month investigation into her second home expenses claims, which resulted in her being ordered to repay £5,800.

Mrs Miller was cleared of deliberately claiming incorrect second home expenses for her Wimbledon property by Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, Kathryn Hudson. But Mrs Hudson concluded that Mrs Miller should have cut her claims when interest rates fell.

On Thursday, April 3, Mrs Miller made a 32-second apology to the House of Commons for her “legalistic” attitude towards the inquiries of the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner after being told to apologise by the Parliamentary Standards Committee.

Her statement failed to defuse the situation and the ongoing controversy, including criticism from some members of her own Conservative Party, culminated in the mother-of-three resigning as Culture Secretary on April 9.

Following her resignation, The Gazette has been seeking to set up an interview with Mrs Miller. Last week, she agreed to talk to Gazette political reporter Jessica Bave at Costa, in Chineham.

Mrs Miller agreed to have a picture taken outside but did not want to be photographed while actually being interviewed.

Read the full interview here. 

Maria Miller full interview.pdf

Comments (47)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:12am Thu 21 Aug 14

Max Headroom says...

> Were they all Basingstoke residents? Were they all residents because I don’t think they were, were they?

I know I am a resident of Basingstoke, Maria, and I know I voted "yes" in that poll. Will she be asking the same question on 8th May 2016?

> JB: We have had a lot of comments as well. From what we can gather, they are from residents.
> MM: What I want to do is to focus on what is important for Basingstoke.

Typical deflection non-answer. An acknowledgement that you let your constituency down, and that you're working to try and restore that you were trying to restore that trust would've been better. That just sounds like she has little to no remorse.

> JB: Is that something you would be willing do to again? Would you take on a cabinet position if you were offered it?
> MM: My first priority is absolutely Basingstoke and it always has been and it always will be.

Says the parachute MP from Wolverhampton. Can't think of a single recent local issue she's had a hand in. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

> JB: Did you feel that you needed to have a home in London, especially when you were Culture Secretary? Did you
feel it was correct that you had two homes?
> MM: As with the vast majority of Members of Parliament, I had appropriate accommodation to be able to make sure
I could do my job.

So by that logic, all London-bound commuters should also have company-issued accommodation to live in during the week so they can also "do their job". Why not catch the train like the rest of us, Maria? It's only a 45 minute journey each way.

> JB: Do you understand where concerns have come from constituents?
> MM: What I think this interview is about is making sure people in Basingstoke know what I am doing for the future.

Again, dodging the question.

> MM: They have a very clear commitment to making sure
that a significant proportion of the new houses built are affordable.

Quick search on property websites, the cheapest 2-bedroom home is currently £165k. Over 12x a single minimum wage. I'm earning above the national average and still only the very bottom of the lot is vaguely affordable to me and my wife (~4.5x). What chance does a retail worker, factory worker, hospitalnurse, labourer etc have?

More importantly, the bigger issue is deposits. Rents are too high, tenancies are too insecure, interference from dodgy landlords, food prices are going up, rail fares for getting to work are going up. Few people my age have enough left at the month to even get close to having a 5% deposit, never mind emergency savings, pensions, etc. What are you going to do about the cost of living, Maria?

In short: A load of tosh full of political-speak. See you at the ballot box.
> Were they all Basingstoke residents? Were they all residents because I don’t think they were, were they? I know I am a resident of Basingstoke, Maria, and I know I voted "yes" in that poll. Will she be asking the same question on 8th May 2016? > JB: We have had a lot of comments as well. From what we can gather, they are from residents. > MM: What I want to do is to focus on what is important for Basingstoke. Typical deflection non-answer. An acknowledgement that you let your constituency down, and that you're working to try and restore that you were trying to restore that trust would've been better. That just sounds like she has little to no remorse. > JB: Is that something you would be willing do to again? Would you take on a cabinet position if you were offered it? > MM: My first priority is absolutely Basingstoke and it always has been and it always will be. Says the parachute MP from Wolverhampton. Can't think of a single recent local issue she's had a hand in. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. > JB: Did you feel that you needed to have a home in London, especially when you were Culture Secretary? Did you feel it was correct that you had two homes? > MM: As with the vast majority of Members of Parliament, I had appropriate accommodation to be able to make sure I could do my job. So by that logic, all London-bound commuters should also have company-issued accommodation to live in during the week so they can also "do their job". Why not catch the train like the rest of us, Maria? It's only a 45 minute journey each way. > JB: Do you understand where concerns have come from constituents? > MM: What I think this interview is about is making sure people in Basingstoke know what I am doing for the future. Again, dodging the question. > MM: They have a very clear commitment to making sure that a significant proportion of the new houses built are affordable. Quick search on property websites, the cheapest 2-bedroom home is currently £165k. Over 12x a single minimum wage. I'm earning above the national average and still only the very bottom of the lot is vaguely affordable to me and my wife (~4.5x). What chance does a retail worker, factory worker, hospitalnurse, labourer etc have? More importantly, the bigger issue is deposits. Rents are too high, tenancies are too insecure, interference from dodgy landlords, food prices are going up, rail fares for getting to work are going up. Few people my age have enough left at the month to even get close to having a 5% deposit, never mind emergency savings, pensions, etc. What are you going to do about the cost of living, Maria? In short: A load of tosh full of political-speak. See you at the ballot box. Max Headroom
  • Score: 54

10:43am Thu 21 Aug 14

Max Headroom says...

Also, apologies for the numerous mistakes in there, but it's hard to proof-read such a long rant in a tiny comments box!
Also, apologies for the numerous mistakes in there, but it's hard to proof-read such a long rant in a tiny comments box! Max Headroom
  • Score: 22

10:44am Thu 21 Aug 14

Ambivalent says...

Well said Max. Maria says she wants Basingstoke to be a great place to live ..... I'd like to ask for who? For the people queuing up at food banks? For the people who have nowhere to live because there is little truly affordable housing? For the people who are being crippled by high private rents? For the people who are being turfed out of homes they've lived in all their lives because they have one room more than you say they need? For the people who are suffering, often elderly and vulnerable, as a result of the cuts in Supporting People funding and may well end up homeless as a result? What are you going to do for the people who can't afford to rent privately or won't be accepted by private landlords and are turned away by the council as non priority?
You gave your full support to the policies that caused hardship and suffering for many, took away the aspirations of many, and all while you justified taking taxpayers money for maximum personal benefit.
Try making Basingstoke a great place to live for everyone, not just a select few. Less (failed) public relations and a little more action and integrity.
Well said Max. Maria says she wants Basingstoke to be a great place to live ..... I'd like to ask for who? For the people queuing up at food banks? For the people who have nowhere to live because there is little truly affordable housing? For the people who are being crippled by high private rents? For the people who are being turfed out of homes they've lived in all their lives because they have one room more than you say they need? For the people who are suffering, often elderly and vulnerable, as a result of the cuts in Supporting People funding and may well end up homeless as a result? What are you going to do for the people who can't afford to rent privately or won't be accepted by private landlords and are turned away by the council as non priority? You gave your full support to the policies that caused hardship and suffering for many, took away the aspirations of many, and all while you justified taking taxpayers money for maximum personal benefit. Try making Basingstoke a great place to live for everyone, not just a select few. Less (failed) public relations and a little more action and integrity. Ambivalent
  • Score: 26

10:59am Thu 21 Aug 14

laurence86 says...

Well done to the Gazette for eventually getting this long overdue interview. I am amazed at how long our MP has managed to keep hidden since she was caught stealing from the public. Maria Miller may be able to ignore the local resident’s voices but their votes may be harder to brush off.
Well done to the Gazette for eventually getting this long overdue interview. I am amazed at how long our MP has managed to keep hidden since she was caught stealing from the public. Maria Miller may be able to ignore the local resident’s voices but their votes may be harder to brush off. laurence86
  • Score: 47

11:05am Thu 21 Aug 14

Ambivalent says...

"JB: What about the people who have not been so nice. I know we have had a lot of comments and anything we put up some people feel the need to say things.
MM: And you read them?
JB: Yes, we have to look at all of our comments.
MM: It is not for me to comment on political comments from other political organisations. That’s for them to deal with"

Sorry Maria, good bit of dodging, but to imply all the comments were political from other political organisations, is just refusing to accept reality. Can you not understand that many of the PUBLIC, and not political organisations feel betrayed and let down by your behaviour?
You're spinning so much you'll probably fall over when you stop!!
"JB: What about the people who have not been so nice. I know we have had a lot of comments and anything we put up some people feel the need to say things. MM: And you read them? JB: Yes, we have to look at all of our comments. MM: It is not for me to comment on political comments from other political organisations. That’s for them to deal with" Sorry Maria, good bit of dodging, but to imply all the comments were political from other political organisations, is just refusing to accept reality. Can you not understand that many of the PUBLIC, and not political organisations feel betrayed and let down by your behaviour? You're spinning so much you'll probably fall over when you stop!! Ambivalent
  • Score: 42

11:13am Thu 21 Aug 14

laurence86 says...

I predict that this will quickly become one of the gazettes most commented articles, I suspect that there will be few comments supporting the actions of our MP.
I predict that this will quickly become one of the gazettes most commented articles, I suspect that there will be few comments supporting the actions of our MP. laurence86
  • Score: 21

11:51am Thu 21 Aug 14

Angry of Basingstoke says...

Having read this well overdue interview it seems to me, that our present MP, Maria Miller, is still defensive, disbelieving, elusive, non-forthcoming and still unbelievably unapologetic of her actions. MM's was one of the most high-profile expenses scandals which still pervades this country's consciousness, and leaves a very bad taste, as does many many other MPs and the ridiculous perks that they receive.
Don't forget she resigned and saved herself from even more embarrassing revelations and more intensive scrutiny over her personal accounts. I personally want Basingstoke's MP to be squeaky clean, of good character, who is proud of the area and constituents. I do not want them to make millions of pounds and buy houses all over. Maria did not even live in Basingstoke (living in Wimbledon) until after this scandal.
As one commentator has put it so well …. I will show what I think at the ballot box next year, and Maria you are NOT getting my vote. I believe you should have resigned and done the decent thing. Most people in Basingstoke in their lines of work would never have gotten away with the misdemeanours you have without losing their jobs, so why should you keep yours?
Having read this well overdue interview it seems to me, that our present MP, Maria Miller, is still defensive, disbelieving, elusive, non-forthcoming and still unbelievably unapologetic of her actions. MM's was one of the most high-profile expenses scandals which still pervades this country's consciousness, and leaves a very bad taste, as does many many other MPs and the ridiculous perks that they receive. Don't forget she resigned and saved herself from even more embarrassing revelations and more intensive scrutiny over her personal accounts. I personally want Basingstoke's MP to be squeaky clean, of good character, who is proud of the area and constituents. I do not want them to make millions of pounds and buy houses all over. Maria did not even live in Basingstoke (living in Wimbledon) until after this scandal. As one commentator has put it so well …. I will show what I think at the ballot box next year, and Maria you are NOT getting my vote. I believe you should have resigned and done the decent thing. Most people in Basingstoke in their lines of work would never have gotten away with the misdemeanours you have without losing their jobs, so why should you keep yours? Angry of Basingstoke
  • Score: 31

12:12pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Sensory says...

Maria has done very well out of the shortage of housing this country has. She is of the right age to have picked one up for c3.5 time average salary, and also benefitted from the massive housebuilding (where ALL houses were affordable, not just a "proportion") many decades ago.

http://www.basingsto
kegazette.co.uk/news
/local/9962727.print
/

Of course she would not want anyone else to enjoy the same benefits now would she... Protect the investment at ANY cost. Including an entire generation aged 35 (possibly older) and under.

It's a shame that you losing my vote next year will look like a protest against your greed and disrespect for ordinary people by playing the expenses game. Whereas the real reason is your greed and disdain for anyone who doesn't rent a house from the bank /or who actually own a property too.
Maria has done very well out of the shortage of housing this country has. She is of the right age to have picked one up for c3.5 time average salary, and also benefitted from the massive housebuilding (where ALL houses were affordable, not just a "proportion") many decades ago. http://www.basingsto kegazette.co.uk/news /local/9962727.print / Of course she would not want anyone else to enjoy the same benefits now would she... Protect the investment at ANY cost. Including an entire generation aged 35 (possibly older) and under. It's a shame that you losing my vote next year will look like a protest against your greed and disrespect for ordinary people by playing the expenses game. Whereas the real reason is your greed and disdain for anyone who doesn't rent a house from the bank /or who actually own a property too. Sensory
  • Score: 22

12:23pm Thu 21 Aug 14

JamesRe says...

Disgusting.
Please take some time to email the Conservative Party chairman to ask for a new candidate... they will be losing many votes (including mine) if they don't replace Miller..... chairman@conservativ
es.com
Disgusting. Please take some time to email the Conservative Party chairman to ask for a new candidate... they will be losing many votes (including mine) if they don't replace Miller..... chairman@conservativ es.com JamesRe
  • Score: 29

12:40pm Thu 21 Aug 14

popleyrebel2 says...

Miller is in serious trouble with the voters that said, will it be enough to send her packing, only time will tell. She is a disgrace and for her to raise her head above the parapet only supports what most people believe, her local Tory party are panicking and have forced him to do so.

People must not forget it was her working alongside IDS that introduced the welfare cuts that have devastated thousands of lives at the same time however trying to cover her tracks over her housing benefit fiddle, scam, Miller should not be given any position of power (including MP) after her attempts to use her position of power to silence the press over her benefit scam.
As far Basingstoke is concerned she has some serious questions to answer over her connection with the developer McNair Scott and therefore I strongly believe there are more scandals to come from the Miller camp.
Miller is grovelling, don’t be taken in, sling her out.
Miller is in serious trouble with the voters that said, will it be enough to send her packing, only time will tell. She is a disgrace and for her to raise her head above the parapet only supports what most people believe, her local Tory party are panicking and have forced him to do so. People must not forget it was her working alongside IDS that introduced the welfare cuts that have devastated thousands of lives at the same time however trying to cover her tracks over her housing benefit fiddle, scam, Miller should not be given any position of power (including MP) after her attempts to use her position of power to silence the press over her benefit scam. As far Basingstoke is concerned she has some serious questions to answer over her connection with the developer McNair Scott and therefore I strongly believe there are more scandals to come from the Miller camp. Miller is grovelling, don’t be taken in, sling her out. popleyrebel2
  • Score: 18

1:06pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Mr_Right says...

What an elusive interview from an appalling MP.

I suspect the first question was, "Hello Ms Miller, how are you?" to which she answered, "I'd rather not answer that, let's focus on what I'm doing for the people of Basingstoke".

Staggering.
What an elusive interview from an appalling MP. I suspect the first question was, "Hello Ms Miller, how are you?" to which she answered, "I'd rather not answer that, let's focus on what I'm doing for the people of Basingstoke". Staggering. Mr_Right
  • Score: 37

1:45pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Max Headroom says...

Mr_Right wrote:
What an elusive interview from an appalling MP.

I suspect the first question was, "Hello Ms Miller, how are you?" to which she answered, "I'd rather not answer that, let's focus on what I'm doing for the people of Basingstoke".

Staggering.
Perhaps the Gazette should hire Jeremy Paxman now he's not doing Newsnight anymore. He'd just ask the question over and over until he got an answer.
[quote][p][bold]Mr_Right[/bold] wrote: What an elusive interview from an appalling MP. I suspect the first question was, "Hello Ms Miller, how are you?" to which she answered, "I'd rather not answer that, let's focus on what I'm doing for the people of Basingstoke". Staggering.[/p][/quote]Perhaps the Gazette should hire Jeremy Paxman now he's not doing Newsnight anymore. He'd just ask the question over and over until he got an answer. Max Headroom
  • Score: 18

1:55pm Thu 21 Aug 14

CrossofLorraine says...

JamesRe wrote:
Disgusting.
Please take some time to email the Conservative Party chairman to ask for a new candidate... they will be losing many votes (including mine) if they don't replace Miller..... chairman@conservativ

es.com
Totally agree with these comments, but my concern is that we are stuck with her. With the exception of a 1923-1924 election when a Liberal MP was elected, B’stoke has returned a Conservative MP every election to the UK Parliament in its current guise since 1885, so B’stoke can guarantee a stone cold true blue tory result virtually every election. You could pin a blue rosette on a hat stand and we’d vote it in. Unless the Con Party and their backers make her stand down she’ll be re-elected, as many voters cannot bring themselves to put that X anywhere else other than in the Con Party candidate’s box. I also think MM is banking on this and will then take the vote as vindication of her decision to remain and work for the people of B’stoke. So unless we contact; our Tory Councilors, the Basingstoke Conservatives, Con Party Chairman, Conservative Campaign Headquarters, Hampshire Conservative Federation and demand MM is replaced if they do not want to lose one of the safest seats in the house. If MM isn’t replaced I am for protest vote and repeat the 1923 result, but it’s really going to be difficult to put a X in that box.
[quote][p][bold]JamesRe[/bold] wrote: Disgusting. Please take some time to email the Conservative Party chairman to ask for a new candidate... they will be losing many votes (including mine) if they don't replace Miller..... chairman@conservativ es.com[/p][/quote]Totally agree with these comments, but my concern is that we are stuck with her. With the exception of a 1923-1924 election when a Liberal MP was elected, B’stoke has returned a Conservative MP every election to the UK Parliament in its current guise since 1885, so B’stoke can guarantee a stone cold true blue tory result virtually every election. You could pin a blue rosette on a hat stand and we’d vote it in. Unless the Con Party and their backers make her stand down she’ll be re-elected, as many voters cannot bring themselves to put that X anywhere else other than in the Con Party candidate’s box. I also think MM is banking on this and will then take the vote as vindication of her decision to remain and work for the people of B’stoke. So unless we contact; our Tory Councilors, the Basingstoke Conservatives, Con Party Chairman, Conservative Campaign Headquarters, Hampshire Conservative Federation and demand MM is replaced if they do not want to lose one of the safest seats in the house. If MM isn’t replaced I am for protest vote and repeat the 1923 result, but it’s really going to be difficult to put a X in that box. CrossofLorraine
  • Score: 18

4:19pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Suriman says...

I will not forget that Cameron pretty much condoned her behaviour and even looked forward to her return to the cabinet; I will never vote conservative again. It will be a protest vote for me as the system we have is no longer fit for purpose and is corrupt.
I will not forget that Cameron pretty much condoned her behaviour and even looked forward to her return to the cabinet; I will never vote conservative again. It will be a protest vote for me as the system we have is no longer fit for purpose and is corrupt. Suriman
  • Score: 19

4:29pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Opinions_opinions says...

McNair Scott - he was the one that was renting MM her so called first home, the rented house/cottage in Old Basing if memory serves. This was the home MM allegedly lived in when in fact she already "owned" the house in South London. This was the house she has always owned in London before being parachuted in as our MP. She has never lived here. She woudn't know her way from one side of town to the other. Even now she chooses to live in Mapledurewell in a house she bought with Tax Payers money in the form of her false mortgage payments on her so called London 2nd home. She really is treating us all like idiots. I am struggling to see how the Basingstoke Conservatives have said they want her to stand again. Surely they must know they are going to take a massive hit. However, it is the arrogance of knowing that even with some protest votes, they still believe it is enough to get MM re-elected nest term.

What we need is an open forum where Basingstoke constituents can question MM and insist on answers and not accept the diverted answers she gave in this interview.

MM needs to go but sadly it is not going to happen. The Tories have lost my vote forever whilst they allow corruption in their own ranks. You also need to remember that the initial punishment that was going to be imposed by the investigative committee was led by a majority of MP's and the outsiders did not have a vote on any financial penalties.

MM - if you are reading this, I am from Basingstoke and I want you to go. Give us an MP we can be proud of and not one covered in the scandal that you will always be remembered for.
McNair Scott - he was the one that was renting MM her so called first home, the rented house/cottage in Old Basing if memory serves. This was the home MM allegedly lived in when in fact she already "owned" the house in South London. This was the house she has always owned in London before being parachuted in as our MP. She has never lived here. She woudn't know her way from one side of town to the other. Even now she chooses to live in Mapledurewell in a house she bought with Tax Payers money in the form of her false mortgage payments on her so called London 2nd home. She really is treating us all like idiots. I am struggling to see how the Basingstoke Conservatives have said they want her to stand again. Surely they must know they are going to take a massive hit. However, it is the arrogance of knowing that even with some protest votes, they still believe it is enough to get MM re-elected nest term. What we need is an open forum where Basingstoke constituents can question MM and insist on answers and not accept the diverted answers she gave in this interview. MM needs to go but sadly it is not going to happen. The Tories have lost my vote forever whilst they allow corruption in their own ranks. You also need to remember that the initial punishment that was going to be imposed by the investigative committee was led by a majority of MP's and the outsiders did not have a vote on any financial penalties. MM - if you are reading this, I am from Basingstoke and I want you to go. Give us an MP we can be proud of and not one covered in the scandal that you will always be remembered for. Opinions_opinions
  • Score: 28

6:16pm Thu 21 Aug 14

popleyrebel2 says...

Maria Miller the dud of Westminster according to some very serious reporters in the written press, however, Basingstoke can at least claim we had that dud long before press worked her out.
Miller is seriously damaged, politically and morally and her standing in community is at an all time low.
These words should have been spoken by a judge, summing up a criminal case of fraud/ theft, sadly however, it’s the sad indictment of our MP that has no compassion, or conscience.
Basingstoke deserves better, Miller only used us as a steppingstone therefore, spare a thought for all those people who are suffering under her welfare reforms, also consider the contrast between those and Millers parents living in total luxury at the taxpayer expense.

I have taken part in all the comments on Miller and I can say there has not been many if any comments of support, however it would great to have a debate
Maria Miller the dud of Westminster according to some very serious reporters in the written press, however, Basingstoke can at least claim we had that dud long before press worked her out. Miller is seriously damaged, politically and morally and her standing in community is at an all time low. These words should have been spoken by a judge, summing up a criminal case of fraud/ theft, sadly however, it’s the sad indictment of our MP that has no compassion, or conscience. Basingstoke deserves better, Miller only used us as a steppingstone therefore, spare a thought for all those people who are suffering under her welfare reforms, also consider the contrast between those and Millers parents living in total luxury at the taxpayer expense. I have taken part in all the comments on Miller and I can say there has not been many if any comments of support, however it would great to have a debate popleyrebel2
  • Score: 19

8:15pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Hiliter says...

Maria Miller cannot recover the trust of her constituents and the sooner she recognises it the better.
We all know that her level of expenses fraud was 40k plus and only the vested interests of other MPs sitting in judgement of her and saving their own priveleges let her avoid the repayment of a much higher penalty.
The people of Basingstoke have already come to a conclusion about her integrity and if she really doesn't recognise this she must be more stupid and arrogant than I thought.I have yet to meet anyone outside of Basingstoke who voted in the local poll - no Maria it was a local response.!
Her advice on these prepared answers to the Gazette interview has been awful and she continues to act as someone in denial.
This desperate act by her Constituency Party to increase her credibility has failed and they would do well to change their candidate even at this late stage.
Having said that lets hope they won't and the local electorate will have the chance in 9 months time of showing her the contempt we have for MP's who abuse their priveleges whilst at the same time blaming the poor and deprived in society for the so called crisis in public finances.
Fortunately we have candidates from other parties locally who will make a better MP for Basingstoke than MM ever was.
We may even get an MP who actually lives in the constituency and has an office to support her/his constituents.
Maria Miller cannot recover the trust of her constituents and the sooner she recognises it the better. We all know that her level of expenses fraud was 40k plus and only the vested interests of other MPs sitting in judgement of her and saving their own priveleges let her avoid the repayment of a much higher penalty. The people of Basingstoke have already come to a conclusion about her integrity and if she really doesn't recognise this she must be more stupid and arrogant than I thought.I have yet to meet anyone outside of Basingstoke who voted in the local poll - no Maria it was a local response.! Her advice on these prepared answers to the Gazette interview has been awful and she continues to act as someone in denial. This desperate act by her Constituency Party to increase her credibility has failed and they would do well to change their candidate even at this late stage. Having said that lets hope they won't and the local electorate will have the chance in 9 months time of showing her the contempt we have for MP's who abuse their priveleges whilst at the same time blaming the poor and deprived in society for the so called crisis in public finances. Fortunately we have candidates from other parties locally who will make a better MP for Basingstoke than MM ever was. We may even get an MP who actually lives in the constituency and has an office to support her/his constituents. Hiliter
  • Score: 26

8:57pm Thu 21 Aug 14

Basing Bill says...

A typical politician's performance by Maria Miller in which she gave a series of well rehearsed answers which bore no relation to the questions.
Our £40,000 expenses fiddler displayed all the arrogance of someone who believes she has got away with it.
By re-selecting her to fight Basingstoke at the next General Election, the local Tory association confirm their members are no better than she is.
But no surprise there. It's what I would expect from a party whose mantra is greed above all else.
By the way, why didn't she want her photo taken during the interview?
Surely she wasn't looking embarrassed as she spun her political claptrap.
A typical politician's performance by Maria Miller in which she gave a series of well rehearsed answers which bore no relation to the questions. Our £40,000 expenses fiddler displayed all the arrogance of someone who believes she has got away with it. By re-selecting her to fight Basingstoke at the next General Election, the local Tory association confirm their members are no better than she is. But no surprise there. It's what I would expect from a party whose mantra is greed above all else. By the way, why didn't she want her photo taken during the interview? Surely she wasn't looking embarrassed as she spun her political claptrap. Basing Bill
  • Score: 29

1:28am Fri 22 Aug 14

EMW says...

The arrogance of the woman astounds me!
Does she really think that the people of Basingstoke will forgive her and forget the past?
In this era you can believe that the voting public expect accountability and in my opinion you have not paid your dues in the eyes of the electorate so try again in 50 years when people will say Maria who?
My it is hot in the toaster!
The arrogance of the woman astounds me! Does she really think that the people of Basingstoke will forgive her and forget the past? In this era you can believe that the voting public expect accountability and in my opinion you have not paid your dues in the eyes of the electorate so try again in 50 years when people will say Maria who? My it is hot in the toaster! EMW
  • Score: 23

1:41pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Sam Weller says...

I can't work out whether the Gazette was trying to help Mrs Miller de-toxify her image, or was setting her up for further vilification. The soft-focus "cuddly bunny" photo indicates the former, but whatever the intention, this display of breathtaking arrogance will certainly achieve the latter. All she is doing is showing that she STILL doesn't get it, she STILL doesn't think she did wrong, and she STILL thinks she has a future in politics. Unbelievable.
I can't work out whether the Gazette was trying to help Mrs Miller de-toxify her image, or was setting her up for further vilification. The soft-focus "cuddly bunny" photo indicates the former, but whatever the intention, this display of breathtaking arrogance will certainly achieve the latter. All she is doing is showing that she STILL doesn't get it, she STILL doesn't think she did wrong, and she STILL thinks she has a future in politics. Unbelievable. Sam Weller
  • Score: -1

3:36pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Opinions_opinions says...

How about we ask The Gazette to set up an open meeting where only local people from Basingstoke are invited. We can then ask her the questions that we want answered and do a "Paxman" if she refuses to answer and go off on a tangent. I am pretty confident this would be well attended. It could even be a Question Time format where the questions are allocated prior to being asked by members of the audience.

Well Basingstoke Gazette, you state you read all the comments, how about publicly asking MM to attend such an event which can be hosted by yourselves and reported by your own reporters ?
How about we ask The Gazette to set up an open meeting where only local people from Basingstoke are invited. We can then ask her the questions that we want answered and do a "Paxman" if she refuses to answer and go off on a tangent. I am pretty confident this would be well attended. It could even be a Question Time format where the questions are allocated prior to being asked by members of the audience. Well Basingstoke Gazette, you state you read all the comments, how about publicly asking MM to attend such an event which can be hosted by yourselves and reported by your own reporters ? Opinions_opinions
  • Score: -4

4:34pm Fri 22 Aug 14

popleyrebel2 says...

Miller and her campaign team would never agree, and let’s face it nor would the Gazette.
The Gazette has had plenty of opportunities to bring her to account, I would go as far as to say they are responsible for Millers arrogance and contempt for the people of Basingstoke by allowing her to set her own agenda.
Miller has no conscience she is in denial therefore, people must not forget Miller’s welfare reforms are killing people and all she could think about was covering her butt from the press by using her position of power.
Maria Miller the one to watch, remember that headline in the Gazette. That’s all the Gazette ever did, stood back and watch her without any challenge. When Miller flicked her fingers the Gazette jumped through the hoop.
The Gazette made the dud of Basingstoke.
Miller and her campaign team would never agree, and let’s face it nor would the Gazette. The Gazette has had plenty of opportunities to bring her to account, I would go as far as to say they are responsible for Millers arrogance and contempt for the people of Basingstoke by allowing her to set her own agenda. Miller has no conscience she is in denial therefore, people must not forget Miller’s welfare reforms are killing people and all she could think about was covering her butt from the press by using her position of power. Maria Miller the one to watch, remember that headline in the Gazette. That’s all the Gazette ever did, stood back and watch her without any challenge. When Miller flicked her fingers the Gazette jumped through the hoop. The Gazette made the dud of Basingstoke. popleyrebel2
  • Score: -25

4:00pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Bhill lad says...

this women has not got a clue!

she talks about the new builds they are still too dear even with the goverment help!! the developers know this hench they are building houses over 300k !!!!! that is not affordable for most of local people!! what we need is more developments like new horizons where house prices start @80k to 220k that affordable.

this women is so far from the understanding of what people in this town go through. I had so many friends who born lived schooled here in basingstoke but had to move out of their home town as they cant afford to live nor rent in the town.

the problem isnt not enough houses being built its the local plan the torys have made is crap and falls right into the hands of the developers who are making a mint off the back of this town.

didnt she support the who manydowns mess!! thats the reason housing so bad in this town, a deveopement that was going to be mostly council owned and socially rented!!
I am so ashamed I have voted for this women in the past in the false belief that she honestly cared for me and mine.

for first time in my life I will be voting labour for Paul Harvey. never thought I would vote labour in my life , but he only one who seems to understand issue we are having,
this women has not got a clue! she talks about the new builds they are still too dear even with the goverment help!! the developers know this hench they are building houses over 300k !!!!! that is not affordable for most of local people!! what we need is more developments like new horizons where house prices start @80k to 220k that affordable. this women is so far from the understanding of what people in this town go through. I had so many friends who born lived schooled here in basingstoke but had to move out of their home town as they cant afford to live nor rent in the town. the problem isnt not enough houses being built its the local plan the torys have made is crap and falls right into the hands of the developers who are making a mint off the back of this town. didnt she support the who manydowns mess!! thats the reason housing so bad in this town, a deveopement that was going to be mostly council owned and socially rented!! I am so ashamed I have voted for this women in the past in the false belief that she honestly cared for me and mine. for first time in my life I will be voting labour for Paul Harvey. never thought I would vote labour in my life , but he only one who seems to understand issue we are having, Bhill lad
  • Score: 16

4:00pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Bhill lad says...

this women has not got a clue!

she talks about the new builds they are still too dear even with the goverment help!! the developers know this hench they are building houses over 300k !!!!! that is not affordable for most of local people!! what we need is more developments like new horizons where house prices start @80k to 220k that affordable.

this women is so far from the understanding of what people in this town go through. I had so many friends who born lived schooled here in basingstoke but had to move out of their home town as they cant afford to live nor rent in the town.

the problem isnt not enough houses being built its the local plan the torys have made is crap and falls right into the hands of the developers who are making a mint off the back of this town.

didnt she support the who manydowns mess!! thats the reason housing so bad in this town, a development that was going to be mostly council owned and socially rented!!
I am so ashamed I have voted for this women in the past in the false belief that she honestly cared for me and mine.

for first time in my life I will be voting labour for Paul Harvey. never thought I would vote labour in my life , but he only one who seems to understand issue we are having,
this women has not got a clue! she talks about the new builds they are still too dear even with the goverment help!! the developers know this hench they are building houses over 300k !!!!! that is not affordable for most of local people!! what we need is more developments like new horizons where house prices start @80k to 220k that affordable. this women is so far from the understanding of what people in this town go through. I had so many friends who born lived schooled here in basingstoke but had to move out of their home town as they cant afford to live nor rent in the town. the problem isnt not enough houses being built its the local plan the torys have made is crap and falls right into the hands of the developers who are making a mint off the back of this town. didnt she support the who manydowns mess!! thats the reason housing so bad in this town, a development that was going to be mostly council owned and socially rented!! I am so ashamed I have voted for this women in the past in the false belief that she honestly cared for me and mine. for first time in my life I will be voting labour for Paul Harvey. never thought I would vote labour in my life , but he only one who seems to understand issue we are having, Bhill lad
  • Score: 7

4:41pm Sat 23 Aug 14

popleyrebel2 says...

As Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport Maria Miller was trusted to mediate with the press and the victims of the hacking scandal after Levesons recommendations had been rejected.
The press was suspicious that the recommendations made by Leveson would lead to Westminster interference and therefore thy (the press) would lose their freedom (freedom of the press) It’s was Miller job to convince them that the status quo would remain.
However, when she was told that the Telegraph was going to publish the detail of her expenses the concept of “freedom of the press “and in fact free speech was a step too far and She tried to blackmail the paper using her position as Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport to silence the paper. Furthermore, her actions undermined the concept of freedom of the press and as a consequence handed the press a get out jail card and sent the victims of hacking up a creek without a paddle.
Miller hasn’t any principles, as for freedom of the press, only when Miller set the agenda
As Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport Maria Miller was trusted to mediate with the press and the victims of the hacking scandal after Levesons recommendations had been rejected. The press was suspicious that the recommendations made by Leveson would lead to Westminster interference and therefore thy (the press) would lose their freedom (freedom of the press) It’s was Miller job to convince them that the status quo would remain. However, when she was told that the Telegraph was going to publish the detail of her expenses the concept of “freedom of the press “and in fact free speech was a step too far and She tried to blackmail the paper using her position as Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport to silence the paper. Furthermore, her actions undermined the concept of freedom of the press and as a consequence handed the press a get out jail card and sent the victims of hacking up a creek without a paddle. Miller hasn’t any principles, as for freedom of the press, only when Miller set the agenda popleyrebel2
  • Score: 2

12:27pm Sun 24 Aug 14

CineEngineer says...

No matter what this piece of trash says she should be behind bars. Never trust a thing she says or does. Clear off Miller. You are just a filthy piece of work.
No matter what this piece of trash says she should be behind bars. Never trust a thing she says or does. Clear off Miller. You are just a filthy piece of work. CineEngineer
  • Score: 13

7:47pm Sun 24 Aug 14

jonone says...

"Were they all Basingstoke residents? Were they all residents because I don’t think they were, were they?"

I am Maria, and I thought you should go.

The Gazette has proved it is not a real newspaper with this pathetic "interview" - be interested to know how much Miller paid for it.

As previously said, as things stand, my ballot paper in 2015 will be spoilt.
"Were they all Basingstoke residents? Were they all residents because I don’t think they were, were they?" I am Maria, and I thought you should go. The Gazette has proved it is not a real newspaper with this pathetic "interview" - be interested to know how much Miller paid for it. As previously said, as things stand, my ballot paper in 2015 will be spoilt. jonone
  • Score: -9

1:21am Mon 25 Aug 14

Max Headroom says...

jonone wrote:
"Were they all Basingstoke residents? Were they all residents because I don’t think they were, were they?"

I am Maria, and I thought you should go.

The Gazette has proved it is not a real newspaper with this pathetic "interview" - be interested to know how much Miller paid for it.

As previously said, as things stand, my ballot paper in 2015 will be spoilt.
Nope. Don't spoil your ballot. The numbers of spoilt ballots are tiny in each election, and do nothing to the overall winner. If you REALLY want to kick her out, vote for an opposing candidate. To put it another way:

- Spoiling a ballot where you otherwise would've voted Conservative (or not voting) reduces Maria's majority from 2010 by 1.

- Voting for a different party (UKIP/Lab/LD/Green/L
oony/etc) where you would have voted Conservative removes 1 vote from Maria and adds 1 to one of her rivals, effectively taking 2 votes away from her majority.

I'm not going to preach about any particular parties because in the end it's your vote, and it's your responsibility to kick out Maria Miller if she isn't representing you as a constituent of the seat of Basingstoke.
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: "Were they all Basingstoke residents? Were they all residents because I don’t think they were, were they?" I am Maria, and I thought you should go. The Gazette has proved it is not a real newspaper with this pathetic "interview" - be interested to know how much Miller paid for it. As previously said, as things stand, my ballot paper in 2015 will be spoilt.[/p][/quote]Nope. Don't spoil your ballot. The numbers of spoilt ballots are tiny in each election, and do nothing to the overall winner. If you REALLY want to kick her out, vote for an opposing candidate. To put it another way: - Spoiling a ballot where you otherwise would've voted Conservative (or not voting) reduces Maria's majority from 2010 by 1. - Voting for a different party (UKIP/Lab/LD/Green/L oony/etc) where you would have voted Conservative removes 1 vote from Maria and adds 1 to one of her rivals, effectively taking 2 votes away from her majority. I'm not going to preach about any particular parties because in the end it's your vote, and it's your responsibility to kick out Maria Miller if she isn't representing you as a constituent of the seat of Basingstoke. Max Headroom
  • Score: 15

3:08pm Mon 25 Aug 14

jonone says...

Max Headroom wrote:
jonone wrote:
"Were they all Basingstoke residents? Were they all residents because I don’t think they were, were they?"

I am Maria, and I thought you should go.

The Gazette has proved it is not a real newspaper with this pathetic "interview" - be interested to know how much Miller paid for it.

As previously said, as things stand, my ballot paper in 2015 will be spoilt.
Nope. Don't spoil your ballot. The numbers of spoilt ballots are tiny in each election, and do nothing to the overall winner. If you REALLY want to kick her out, vote for an opposing candidate. To put it another way:

- Spoiling a ballot where you otherwise would've voted Conservative (or not voting) reduces Maria's majority from 2010 by 1.

- Voting for a different party (UKIP/Lab/LD/Green/L

oony/etc) where you would have voted Conservative removes 1 vote from Maria and adds 1 to one of her rivals, effectively taking 2 votes away from her majority.

I'm not going to preach about any particular parties because in the end it's your vote, and it's your responsibility to kick out Maria Miller if she isn't representing you as a constituent of the seat of Basingstoke.
Appreciate the thought, but I'd couldn't vote for someone I didn't believe in:

Labour - I work for a living, so could never vote for them again, they are only interested in taking working people's money and giving them to people who don't, whilst abandoning the genuinely deserving.

Lid Dem - Maybe, but they've proven themselves totally ineffective in pseudo-power. And liars.

UKIP - No chance - pseudo racists.

Greens - waste of space and time, want us all living in tents (they wouldn't naturally.)

So, in fact, a spoiled ballot is better as it shows a desire to vote but dissatisfaction with the choices.
[quote][p][bold]Max Headroom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: "Were they all Basingstoke residents? Were they all residents because I don’t think they were, were they?" I am Maria, and I thought you should go. The Gazette has proved it is not a real newspaper with this pathetic "interview" - be interested to know how much Miller paid for it. As previously said, as things stand, my ballot paper in 2015 will be spoilt.[/p][/quote]Nope. Don't spoil your ballot. The numbers of spoilt ballots are tiny in each election, and do nothing to the overall winner. If you REALLY want to kick her out, vote for an opposing candidate. To put it another way: - Spoiling a ballot where you otherwise would've voted Conservative (or not voting) reduces Maria's majority from 2010 by 1. - Voting for a different party (UKIP/Lab/LD/Green/L oony/etc) where you would have voted Conservative removes 1 vote from Maria and adds 1 to one of her rivals, effectively taking 2 votes away from her majority. I'm not going to preach about any particular parties because in the end it's your vote, and it's your responsibility to kick out Maria Miller if she isn't representing you as a constituent of the seat of Basingstoke.[/p][/quote]Appreciate the thought, but I'd couldn't vote for someone I didn't believe in: Labour - I work for a living, so could never vote for them again, they are only interested in taking working people's money and giving them to people who don't, whilst abandoning the genuinely deserving. Lid Dem - Maybe, but they've proven themselves totally ineffective in pseudo-power. And liars. UKIP - No chance - pseudo racists. Greens - waste of space and time, want us all living in tents (they wouldn't naturally.) So, in fact, a spoiled ballot is better as it shows a desire to vote but dissatisfaction with the choices. jonone
  • Score: -9

4:40pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Ambivalent says...

Maria said: “Affordability is a huge issue for people trying to purchase a home. Having to find a five per cent deposit rather than up to 25 per cent means that more people who are able to afford a mortgage can own their own homes, and enjoy the security and peace of mind that brings.”

So, Maria, what about the people who can’t afford a mortgage, what are you and your government doing to help them? The people who aren’t on incomes of £50 - £60,000, and who can only access private rented accommodation and see most of their hard earned money going just to keep a roof of some description over their heads (and will never aspire to having affordable or secure accommodation and the peace of mind that brings).

It really does seem to me that you jump at the chance of some positive publicity yet refuse to support or acknowledge some of the biggest issues facing not only many of your constituents, but hard working people across the country

You may not read the comments people are posting, but don’t think for one minute a lot of Basingstoke people do. Do you honestly believe that all these comments are from political organisation?
Maria said: “Affordability is a huge issue for people trying to purchase a home. Having to find a five per cent deposit rather than up to 25 per cent means that more people who are able to afford a mortgage can own their own homes, and enjoy the security and peace of mind that brings.” So, Maria, what about the people who can’t afford a mortgage, what are you and your government doing to help them? The people who aren’t on incomes of £50 - £60,000, and who can only access private rented accommodation and see most of their hard earned money going just to keep a roof of some description over their heads (and will never aspire to having affordable or secure accommodation and the peace of mind that brings). It really does seem to me that you jump at the chance of some positive publicity yet refuse to support or acknowledge some of the biggest issues facing not only many of your constituents, but hard working people across the country You may not read the comments people are posting, but don’t think for one minute a lot of Basingstoke people do. Do you honestly believe that all these comments are from political organisation? Ambivalent
  • Score: 9

7:32pm Mon 25 Aug 14

jonone says...

Ambivalent wrote:
Maria said: “Affordability is a huge issue for people trying to purchase a home. Having to find a five per cent deposit rather than up to 25 per cent means that more people who are able to afford a mortgage can own their own homes, and enjoy the security and peace of mind that brings.”

So, Maria, what about the people who can’t afford a mortgage, what are you and your government doing to help them? The people who aren’t on incomes of £50 - £60,000, and who can only access private rented accommodation and see most of their hard earned money going just to keep a roof of some description over their heads (and will never aspire to having affordable or secure accommodation and the peace of mind that brings).

It really does seem to me that you jump at the chance of some positive publicity yet refuse to support or acknowledge some of the biggest issues facing not only many of your constituents, but hard working people across the country

You may not read the comments people are posting, but don’t think for one minute a lot of Basingstoke people do. Do you honestly believe that all these comments are from political organisation?
"So, Maria, what about the people who can’t afford a mortgage, what are you and your government doing to help them? The people who aren’t on incomes of £50 - £60,000, and who can only access private rented accommodation and see most of their hard earned money going just to keep a roof of some description over their heads (and will never aspire to having affordable or secure accommodation and the peace of mind that brings)."

So, who *is* buying the large numbers of new private sales properties and new shared ownership properties?? And who *is* renting all the new social rented properties?? Because a lot of people are and, certainly on the latter, they are not on high incomes!

There are large numbers of housing association properties in this area, in Oakridge and Popley to name two, plus new developments in Merton Rise, Oakridge and a HUGE planned development of 600 Sentinel properties just off Kingsclere Road.

Please stop with the constant inference that nothing is happening, because it is not true.
[quote][p][bold]Ambivalent[/bold] wrote: Maria said: “Affordability is a huge issue for people trying to purchase a home. Having to find a five per cent deposit rather than up to 25 per cent means that more people who are able to afford a mortgage can own their own homes, and enjoy the security and peace of mind that brings.” So, Maria, what about the people who can’t afford a mortgage, what are you and your government doing to help them? The people who aren’t on incomes of £50 - £60,000, and who can only access private rented accommodation and see most of their hard earned money going just to keep a roof of some description over their heads (and will never aspire to having affordable or secure accommodation and the peace of mind that brings). It really does seem to me that you jump at the chance of some positive publicity yet refuse to support or acknowledge some of the biggest issues facing not only many of your constituents, but hard working people across the country You may not read the comments people are posting, but don’t think for one minute a lot of Basingstoke people do. Do you honestly believe that all these comments are from political organisation?[/p][/quote]"So, Maria, what about the people who can’t afford a mortgage, what are you and your government doing to help them? The people who aren’t on incomes of £50 - £60,000, and who can only access private rented accommodation and see most of their hard earned money going just to keep a roof of some description over their heads (and will never aspire to having affordable or secure accommodation and the peace of mind that brings)." So, who *is* buying the large numbers of new private sales properties and new shared ownership properties?? And who *is* renting all the new social rented properties?? Because a lot of people are and, certainly on the latter, they are not on high incomes! There are large numbers of housing association properties in this area, in Oakridge and Popley to name two, plus new developments in Merton Rise, Oakridge and a HUGE planned development of 600 Sentinel properties just off Kingsclere Road. Please stop with the constant inference that nothing is happening, because it is not true. jonone
  • Score: -3

9:33pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Ambivalent says...

True, Sentinel are doing a great job, but no thanks to the government. Housing Associations are increasingly having to develop ways of creating income, so some of the new developments include properties with social rents, others with 'affordable' rents and some being shared ownership. Only the social rents are affordable to most low wage earners. Basically you can't assume that all the developments by Sentinel, or other HA's are either social housing, or affordable. As for Popley and Oakridge, much of these estates now consist of privately owned properties, bought under the right to buy, and many now being converted into private rented flats, which haven't been replaced with social rented properties.
The reality, whatever you choose to believe is that there is nowhere near enough affordable housing, there is a housing crisis across the country bought about by succesive governments, for which the lower waged are suffering.
True, Sentinel are doing a great job, but no thanks to the government. Housing Associations are increasingly having to develop ways of creating income, so some of the new developments include properties with social rents, others with 'affordable' rents and some being shared ownership. Only the social rents are affordable to most low wage earners. Basically you can't assume that all the developments by Sentinel, or other HA's are either social housing, or affordable. As for Popley and Oakridge, much of these estates now consist of privately owned properties, bought under the right to buy, and many now being converted into private rented flats, which haven't been replaced with social rented properties. The reality, whatever you choose to believe is that there is nowhere near enough affordable housing, there is a housing crisis across the country bought about by succesive governments, for which the lower waged are suffering. Ambivalent
  • Score: 9

10:40am Tue 26 Aug 14

george chivers says...

Four months of avoiding an interview. Now this, our MP in denial, nothing but smoke and mirrors. She has no leadership qualities whatsoever, just personal ambition. A disgrace.
Four months of avoiding an interview. Now this, our MP in denial, nothing but smoke and mirrors. She has no leadership qualities whatsoever, just personal ambition. A disgrace. george chivers
  • Score: 16

1:39pm Wed 27 Aug 14

ChinehamIan says...

There's only ONE alternative...VOTE UKIP in May 2015.
Bye bye Maria. An Ex-Conservative voter.
There's only ONE alternative...VOTE UKIP in May 2015. Bye bye Maria. An Ex-Conservative voter. ChinehamIan
  • Score: -3

2:28pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Suriman says...

ChinehamIan wrote:
There's only ONE alternative...VOTE UKIP in May 2015.
Bye bye Maria. An Ex-Conservative voter.
I am with you all the way Chinehamlan.
[quote][p][bold]ChinehamIan[/bold] wrote: There's only ONE alternative...VOTE UKIP in May 2015. Bye bye Maria. An Ex-Conservative voter.[/p][/quote]I am with you all the way Chinehamlan. Suriman
  • Score: -5

3:30pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Opinions_opinions says...

I would suggest that everyone one here write to her personally and let her hear how angry you really are. Her email address is maria.miller.mp@parl
iament.uk . She is duty bound to answer every letter that is sent to her. It is clear from the interview she has no understanding of how angry the voters of Basingstoke are about her having lied and danced around the truth. Most, if not all of Basingstoke know she has never lived here and realise there was no justification in claiming allowances for her main home in South London. And then to have us, the taxpayer, paying to have her parents live there too is unbelievable. I would urge you all to write to her and tell her what you think but make sure there is at least one question in the email so she has to answer. You can then all update us with her reply - or rather her non-reply
I would suggest that everyone one here write to her personally and let her hear how angry you really are. Her email address is maria.miller.mp@parl iament.uk . She is duty bound to answer every letter that is sent to her. It is clear from the interview she has no understanding of how angry the voters of Basingstoke are about her having lied and danced around the truth. Most, if not all of Basingstoke know she has never lived here and realise there was no justification in claiming allowances for her main home in South London. And then to have us, the taxpayer, paying to have her parents live there too is unbelievable. I would urge you all to write to her and tell her what you think but make sure there is at least one question in the email so she has to answer. You can then all update us with her reply - or rather her non-reply Opinions_opinions
  • Score: 6

8:34pm Wed 27 Aug 14

THX 1138 says...

jonone wrote:
"Were they all Basingstoke residents? Were they all residents because I don’t think they were, were they?"

I am Maria, and I thought you should go.

The Gazette has proved it is not a real newspaper with this pathetic "interview" - be interested to know how much Miller paid for it.

As previously said, as things stand, my ballot paper in 2015 will be spoilt.
If there is the slightest chance of a Labour government being elected in 2015, then I reckon you and many others will still vote Tory, even with Maria Miller as the candidate. Some will vote UKIP, but in your case I reckon your dislike of them and Labour is greater than your dislike of Maria Miller. Most people will vote for the party label regardless of who the candidate is.
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: "Were they all Basingstoke residents? Were they all residents because I don’t think they were, were they?" I am Maria, and I thought you should go. The Gazette has proved it is not a real newspaper with this pathetic "interview" - be interested to know how much Miller paid for it. As previously said, as things stand, my ballot paper in 2015 will be spoilt.[/p][/quote]If there is the slightest chance of a Labour government being elected in 2015, then I reckon you and many others will still vote Tory, even with Maria Miller as the candidate. Some will vote UKIP, but in your case I reckon your dislike of them and Labour is greater than your dislike of Maria Miller. Most people will vote for the party label regardless of who the candidate is. THX 1138
  • Score: 6

12:51pm Fri 29 Aug 14

Angry of Basingstoke says...

Why has the .pdf of interview stopped working?
Why has the .pdf of interview stopped working? Angry of Basingstoke
  • Score: 2

1:52pm Fri 29 Aug 14

Opinions_opinions says...

Angry of Basingstoke wrote:
Why has the .pdf of interview stopped working?
because MM is trying to retract her replies and deny ever saying what she said :)
[quote][p][bold]Angry of Basingstoke[/bold] wrote: Why has the .pdf of interview stopped working?[/p][/quote]because MM is trying to retract her replies and deny ever saying what she said :) Opinions_opinions
  • Score: 3

1:19am Sat 30 Aug 14

Food for Thought says...

This bare-faced, shameless, money-grabbing, self-serving and rather nasty ex-minster MUST be rejected at the ballot box in May 2015 if the local Conservative party have the audacity to select her.
If the people of Basingstoke re-elect her next year then I despair for this country. This woman was supposed to be Minister FOR the disabled, but seemed to constantly work AGAINST them ( welfare 'reforms' & bedroom Tax). She was then moved to Culture where she undermined the traditional culture & oversaw introduction of laws that the majority of English people wanted and were not debated before the 2010 General Election.
Basingstoke - if you re-elect this awful creature just because she wears a blue rosette, then it proves that 'democracy' in this country is wasted on the mindless followers of party loyalty.
Hopefully someone plausible will commit to stand against her next May, someone to rally behind and rid us of the stench that she trails throughout the constituency.
This bare-faced, shameless, money-grabbing, self-serving and rather nasty ex-minster MUST be rejected at the ballot box in May 2015 if the local Conservative party have the audacity to select her. If the people of Basingstoke re-elect her next year then I despair for this country. This woman was supposed to be Minister FOR the disabled, but seemed to constantly work AGAINST them ( welfare 'reforms' & bedroom Tax). She was then moved to Culture where she undermined the traditional culture & oversaw introduction of laws that the majority of English people wanted and were not debated before the 2010 General Election. Basingstoke - if you re-elect this awful creature just because she wears a blue rosette, then it proves that 'democracy' in this country is wasted on the mindless followers of party loyalty. Hopefully someone plausible will commit to stand against her next May, someone to rally behind and rid us of the stench that she trails throughout the constituency. Food for Thought
  • Score: 3

9:00am Sat 30 Aug 14

Chris Gregory says...

Angry of Basingstoke wrote:
Why has the .pdf of interview stopped working?
The pdf link is working for me. If anyone else has a problem, let us know.
[quote][p][bold]Angry of Basingstoke[/bold] wrote: Why has the .pdf of interview stopped working?[/p][/quote]The pdf link is working for me. If anyone else has a problem, let us know. Chris Gregory
  • Score: 1

10:30am Fri 5 Sep 14

jackwridge says...

Voting UKIP next time unless Convervative party kick her out before the next election - she has discraced both this town and her party and needs to go. Shes been in power far too long and thats why she is now too corrupt to hold office.
Voting UKIP next time unless Convervative party kick her out before the next election - she has discraced both this town and her party and needs to go. Shes been in power far too long and thats why she is now too corrupt to hold office. jackwridge
  • Score: 2

1:43pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Angry of Basingstoke says...

Basingstoke was a Conservative 'Safe Seat'…. but I wondered how many Basingstoke residents it will take to oust Maria Miller, Basingstoke's disgraced MP from her comfortable situation…. and it's about 13,500 people it seems.

Are there 13,500 angry enough residents….? I wonder.

I know everyone (and I mean everyone) I speak to says they will not vote for Mrs Miller? But will the whole Basingstoke area reject her? It seems obvious if she cannot rely on the support of many former conservative voters then it is down to the Conservative Association to find a new candidate quite quickly before it is too late.
Basingstoke was a Conservative 'Safe Seat'…. but I wondered how many Basingstoke residents it will take to oust Maria Miller, Basingstoke's disgraced MP from her comfortable situation…. and it's about 13,500 people it seems. Are there 13,500 angry enough residents….? I wonder. I know everyone (and I mean everyone) I speak to says they will not vote for Mrs Miller? But will the whole Basingstoke area reject her? It seems obvious if she cannot rely on the support of many former conservative voters then it is down to the Conservative Association to find a new candidate quite quickly before it is too late. Angry of Basingstoke
  • Score: 0

9:41pm Wed 10 Sep 14

Angry of Basingstoke says...

Gazette please FIX to .pdf so other people in Basingstoke can read EXACTLY what Maria Miller said.

Are you trying to hide something?? Can we have the interview out in the open?? Thank you.
Gazette please FIX to .pdf so other people in Basingstoke can read EXACTLY what Maria Miller said. Are you trying to hide something?? Can we have the interview out in the open?? Thank you. Angry of Basingstoke
  • Score: 1

8:56am Thu 11 Sep 14

Chris Gregory says...

Angry of Basingstoke wrote:
Gazette please FIX to .pdf so other people in Basingstoke can read EXACTLY what Maria Miller said.

Are you trying to hide something?? Can we have the interview out in the open?? Thank you.
I've tried the pdf again, and it it working. Perhaps there is something wrong with your computer? If anyone else is having problems with the link, please let us know using this comment facility.
[quote][p][bold]Angry of Basingstoke[/bold] wrote: Gazette please FIX to .pdf so other people in Basingstoke can read EXACTLY what Maria Miller said. Are you trying to hide something?? Can we have the interview out in the open?? Thank you.[/p][/quote]I've tried the pdf again, and it it working. Perhaps there is something wrong with your computer? If anyone else is having problems with the link, please let us know using this comment facility. Chris Gregory
  • Score: 1

9:04am Thu 11 Sep 14

Chris Gregory says...

Chris Gregory wrote:
Angry of Basingstoke wrote:
Gazette please FIX to .pdf so other people in Basingstoke can read EXACTLY what Maria Miller said.

Are you trying to hide something?? Can we have the interview out in the open?? Thank you.
I've tried the pdf again, and it it working. Perhaps there is something wrong with your computer? If anyone else is having problems with the link, please let us know using this comment facility.
*is
[quote][p][bold]Chris Gregory[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angry of Basingstoke[/bold] wrote: Gazette please FIX to .pdf so other people in Basingstoke can read EXACTLY what Maria Miller said. Are you trying to hide something?? Can we have the interview out in the open?? Thank you.[/p][/quote]I've tried the pdf again, and it it working. Perhaps there is something wrong with your computer? If anyone else is having problems with the link, please let us know using this comment facility.[/p][/quote]*is Chris Gregory
  • Score: 1

11:02am Mon 15 Sep 14

Angry of Basingstoke says...

PDF is working now, thank you…. as is my computer.
PDF is working now, thank you…. as is my computer. Angry of Basingstoke
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree