GRAHAM Owen is a pastor at the New Testament Church of God in Basingstoke.
He grew up in Hythe, near Southampton, and attended Portsmouth Polytechnic, where he did a degree in Social Administration before starting work as an IBM mainframe computer operator at Esso’s Fawley Refinery.
When he was 16, he started studying for his A-levels at Totton College.
There, he met a number of active Christians and within a couple of months he had a ‘conversion’ experience and this has played a major role in his life.
After he became a Christian, he played guitar in a number of Christian bands. In his mid-20s he formed a band called Aslan, which is how he met Barbara. Barbara and Graham moved to Basingstoke when they got married and have now lived here for 30 years. They have three grown-up children and one grandchild.
Since moving here, they have been active in the local church, initially as members of Basingstoke Community Church and now as pastors at New Testament Church of God, meeting in Popley Fields Community Centre, where he still gets to play guitar on Sunday. God is good!
1. Who was your childhood hero and why? Footballer Alan Ball because of the 1966 World Cup.
2. What is your most precious possession, and why is it important to you? Yamaha AEX 1500 (an amazing guitar) – it was a 20th wedding anniversary present from my wife.
3. What was the first record/CD you bought? La-La (Means I Love You) by The Delfonics on 7in vinyl.
4. What is the radio/television show you hate to miss? Criminal Minds.
5. What is your favourite film? Chariots of Fire.
6. What is your pet hate? People who keep asking the same question hoping for a different answer.
7. What are you reading at the moment? The Bible and CS Lewis As Philosopher (Edited by David J Baggett, Gary R Habermas and Jerry L Walls).
8. If you were choosing a last meal, what would it be? Indian.
9. If you could meet anyone from history, who would it be? Jesus.
10. If you had a time machine where would it take you? Israel around 30 AD.
11. If you were stranded on a desert island what luxury would you choose to have with you? Shampoo.
12. What sports team do you support? Everton.
13. What was your first job? Computer operator.
14. If you could take over someone’s job for the day, whose job would you choose? Adrian Williams (guitarist with The Temptations).
15. What worries you the most? Nothing specific but I am petrified of snakes.
16. What is your proudest moment? My wedding day.
17. What would you like your epitaph to be? He was a loving husband and father, faithful friend and servant of God.
18. What’s your guilty pleasure? Cheese and biscuits.
19. What one thing could change society for the better? People listening more before speaking or forming opinions.
20. What three words best describe you? Reliable, trustworthy, stubborn.