TRIBUTES have been paid to Jay Benton, who was found dead at a house in Basingstoke, but the circumstances of the teenager's death remain a mystery.

Last Wednesday, the police were called to an address in Frescade Crescent, Kings Furlong, by paramedics, who were responding to a report of a man with head injuries.

Two teenagers were arrested on suspicion of murder, but officers have now confirmed that a post-mortem, carried out by a Home Office pathologist, did not find any injuries at all on Mr Benton’s body.

Further tests are under way to determine the cause of death, and the police are awaiting the results of a toxicology report.

Detective Inspector Ben Chivers, from Basingstoke CID, said: “At this time, the cause of death remains unknown and therefore, while we continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident, we are treating the death as suspicious.

“The man who died and the two people who were arrested were known to one another, and there is no wider risk to members of the public.”

Friends have been paying tribute to Mr Benton – who lived in a flat in Berkeley Drive, Brighton Hill, having previously lived with his family in Thackham’s Lane, Hartley Wintney – on social media sites. He had attended More House School, in Frensham, Surrey, and Farnham Sixth Form College before moving to Basingstoke.

A Facebook page set up in his memory has attracted nearly 200 members, while some people have posted messages on Twitter.

Tony Halliwell wrote: “Jay, Rest in Peace man. You were taken before your time, but your memory will be timeless.”

Jonathan Cook wrote: “Best wishes to Jay Benton’s family – he was a lovely lad, who was always gladly welcome in our house.”

Ciara Mai Finan added: “I just remember his cheeky grin, always getting into trouble. So, so sad.”

Neighbours in Frescade Crescent told of their shock when they realised a murder investigation had begun in their street.

Stanley Bird, 72, said: “Things like this do not happen in Frescade Crescent. It is a very quiet area. We have all been here for 30 years or more. It’s a nice area and people do not want to move out. It’s a shock to the system.”

Others described seeing two ambulances outside the house last Wednesday afternoon, followed shortly by police vans and cars.

Police officers guarded the house that night, and forensic scenes-of-crime officers were seen going into the house and removing items last Thursday.