Basingstoke hospital chiefs concerned by rising A&E admissions

Basingstoke Gazette: Dr Howard Simpson, clinical director for unscheduled care, Sara Sparks, operational services manager for unscheduled care, and Paul Barton, lead emergency nurse practitioner Dr Howard Simpson, clinical director for unscheduled care, Sara Sparks, operational services manager for unscheduled care, and Paul Barton, lead emergency nurse practitioner

“DON’T break us” – that is the warning from senior medics at Basingstoke hospital, following a huge rise in the number of patients flooding through the doors of the emergency department.

The hospital, in Aldermaston Road, has seen an increase of nearly 25 per cent in the last year, putting pressure on staff as they deal with thousands of people visiting the department each month. With patient numbers potentially set to increase further, senior medics are sending out the warning not to push them to breaking point.

Dr Howard Simpson, clinical director of unscheduled care, said: “I don’t believe patient numbers have peaked yet.

“We are working hard to keep patients safe and we are more than happy to help whenever it is needed. But use us wisely – don’t break us.”

Last year, the hospital’s emergency department saw an average of just under 4,000 patients each month. This year, the figure is around 5,000.

The huge rise in patient numbers is thought to be due to a combination of factors, including the ever-increasing elderly population and the new homes built in the borough.

The department is coping well with the increase thanks to the introduction of GPs into the department and the training of four new key members of staff.

They are now hitting Government targets, despite Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (HHFT), which runs Basingstoke hospital, having previously been named as one of the worst in the country for long patient waiting times.

As previously reported in The Gazette, GPs began working side-by-side with casualty doctors last November.

Now, 17 per cent of all those admitted are seen by GPs.

The hospital has also increased the number of emergency nurse practitioners from seven to 11, by training existing staff so they can triage, diagnose and treat patients who don’t necessarily need to see a doctor.

Around 42 per cent of patients attending the emergency department are seen by emergency nurse practitioners.

These measures have seen the average time it takes for a patient to be seen by a clinician, and given a plan, drop from 57 minutes to 28 minutes and the time to triage drop from 19 minutes to just three minutes.

It has also doubled the amount of trolley space, thanks to patients being seen by front-of-house GPs.

Paul Barton, lead emergency nurse practitioner, said: “The collaboration in the last six months with other organisations – the clinical commissioning group and North Hampshire Urgent Care – has meant we have come up with innovative ways of dealing with challenges.

“It is working well and we are all working hard.”

Despite these successes, the department will inevitably struggle if patient numbers continue to rise dramatically.

Dr Simpson said: “We are not an infinite resource. I would advise anyone who is unsure where they should go to contact 111.

“It is not a perfect system, but they are trying hard to make sure they direct you to the right place. The 111 number should be the first tool to use.”

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:47pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Mr_Right says...

Growing population and new houses? Surely more to do with Tory budget cuts leading to in long waits for routine GP appointments, and the closure of the drop-in centre at Basingstoke hospital?
Growing population and new houses? Surely more to do with Tory budget cuts leading to in long waits for routine GP appointments, and the closure of the drop-in centre at Basingstoke hospital? Mr_Right
  • Score: 7

4:24pm Mon 30 Jun 14

ELLIS17 says...

Don't break us they plead,time for the hospital management to be scaled down to the absolute minimum.Many people are totally fed up of not getting an appointment to see their GP,so of course many seek treatment at A&E.Sorry but the Health Boards and the Government cannot have it both ways,they are both spending millions of our money to tell us to seek medical help over a whole range of illnesses both on Television and in the press.
Don't break us they plead,time for the hospital management to be scaled down to the absolute minimum.Many people are totally fed up of not getting an appointment to see their GP,so of course many seek treatment at A&E.Sorry but the Health Boards and the Government cannot have it both ways,they are both spending millions of our money to tell us to seek medical help over a whole range of illnesses both on Television and in the press. ELLIS17
  • Score: 3

3:28pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Folkestone Saint says...

Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always Folkestone Saint
  • Score: -7

9:39pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Mr_Right says...

Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
What is "Eastern Bloc" appearance, please?
[quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]What is "Eastern Bloc" appearance, please? Mr_Right
  • Score: 3

11:52am Wed 2 Jul 14

Folkestone Saint says...

Mr_Right wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
What is "Eastern Bloc" appearance, please?
Well I had to work out what "leading to in long waits " from your quote, so I will let you work out what a person from the eastern bloc looks like
[quote][p][bold]Mr_Right[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]What is "Eastern Bloc" appearance, please?[/p][/quote]Well I had to work out what "leading to in long waits " from your quote, so I will let you work out what a person from the eastern bloc looks like Folkestone Saint
  • Score: -8

2:33pm Wed 2 Jul 14

CrossofLorraine says...

Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
I think the reference to Eastern Bloc relates to the former communist states of Yugoslavia, East Germany, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and Romania.
But I am surprised someone can tell which one of Eastern Bloc states a person comes from by their appearance. Were they; wearing the traditional national costumes, talking and you understand the languages/regional dialects of these countries or, was it their physical features and/or the colour of their hair and skin?
Or you can tell someone’s hereditary just by looking at them. As all these Eastern Bloc countries ethnic race is Slavic(except Germany they used to think Slavs were subhuman!), one could then assume you are inferring that all Slavs look the same?
Well there are in excess of 332 million Slavs living in central & eastern Europe without the ones living elsewhere and this would insult the lot of them.
But surely someone would not go out of their way to do that - just blame failing NHS management on the ones at their local doctors surgery that they visit a lot.
[quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]I think the reference to Eastern Bloc relates to the former communist states of Yugoslavia, East Germany, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and Romania. But I am surprised someone can tell which one of Eastern Bloc states a person comes from by their appearance. Were they; wearing the traditional national costumes, talking and you understand the languages/regional dialects of these countries or, was it their physical features and/or the colour of their hair and skin? Or you can tell someone’s hereditary just by looking at them. As all these Eastern Bloc countries ethnic race is Slavic(except Germany they used to think Slavs were subhuman!), one could then assume you are inferring that all Slavs look the same? Well there are in excess of 332 million Slavs living in central & eastern Europe without the ones living elsewhere and this would insult the lot of them. But surely someone would not go out of their way to do that - just blame failing NHS management on the ones at their local doctors surgery that they visit a lot. CrossofLorraine
  • Score: 6

3:44pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Mr_Right says...

Folkestone Saint wrote:
Mr_Right wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
What is "Eastern Bloc" appearance, please?
Well I had to work out what "leading to in long waits " from your quote, so I will let you work out what a person from the eastern bloc looks like
Mine was a typo. Yours was borderline racist.
[quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr_Right[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]What is "Eastern Bloc" appearance, please?[/p][/quote]Well I had to work out what "leading to in long waits " from your quote, so I will let you work out what a person from the eastern bloc looks like[/p][/quote]Mine was a typo. Yours was borderline racist. Mr_Right
  • Score: 10

4:53pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Folkestone Saint says...

Mr_Right wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
Mr_Right wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
What is "Eastern Bloc" appearance, please?
Well I had to work out what "leading to in long waits " from your quote, so I will let you work out what a person from the eastern bloc looks like
Mine was a typo. Yours was borderline racist.
I was actually referring to the fact that there is a huge demand of our services from people from other countries that have recently joined the EU, can you explain why that is racists, also my wife is a Matron at a nearby hospital and has expressed her concern that we have more and more people comming to NHS hospitals from these countries without being given extra staff to cope with this demand.
Now if you want to get personal and call me racist or anything else for that matter, do it to my face at the Richard Aldworth reunion 06.09.14
[quote][p][bold]Mr_Right[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr_Right[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]What is "Eastern Bloc" appearance, please?[/p][/quote]Well I had to work out what "leading to in long waits " from your quote, so I will let you work out what a person from the eastern bloc looks like[/p][/quote]Mine was a typo. Yours was borderline racist.[/p][/quote]I was actually referring to the fact that there is a huge demand of our services from people from other countries that have recently joined the EU, can you explain why that is racists, also my wife is a Matron at a nearby hospital and has expressed her concern that we have more and more people comming to NHS hospitals from these countries without being given extra staff to cope with this demand. Now if you want to get personal and call me racist or anything else for that matter, do it to my face at the Richard Aldworth reunion 06.09.14 Folkestone Saint
  • Score: -3

5:27pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Folkestone Saint says...

CrossofLorraine wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
I think the reference to Eastern Bloc relates to the former communist states of Yugoslavia, East Germany, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and Romania.
But I am surprised someone can tell which one of Eastern Bloc states a person comes from by their appearance. Were they; wearing the traditional national costumes, talking and you understand the languages/regional dialects of these countries or, was it their physical features and/or the colour of their hair and skin?
Or you can tell someone’s hereditary just by looking at them. As all these Eastern Bloc countries ethnic race is Slavic(except Germany they used to think Slavs were subhuman!), one could then assume you are inferring that all Slavs look the same?
Well there are in excess of 332 million Slavs living in central & eastern Europe without the ones living elsewhere and this would insult the lot of them.
But surely someone would not go out of their way to do that - just blame failing NHS management on the ones at their local doctors surgery that they visit a lot.
The reason I used the term eastern bloc was because I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from, and at no point did I imply as such, however lets ignore the actual point I was making as that would not help you trying to look all superioir. There are more people using NHS hospitals due to us living longer as well as people from new Europe coming to this country for "FREE" medical help, along with budget cuts and a reduction in front-line staff, is it not obvious why there are longer queues and missed targets (targets that should never be set).
p.s. are you Duval,
[quote][p][bold]CrossofLorraine[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]I think the reference to Eastern Bloc relates to the former communist states of Yugoslavia, East Germany, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and Romania. But I am surprised someone can tell which one of Eastern Bloc states a person comes from by their appearance. Were they; wearing the traditional national costumes, talking and you understand the languages/regional dialects of these countries or, was it their physical features and/or the colour of their hair and skin? Or you can tell someone’s hereditary just by looking at them. As all these Eastern Bloc countries ethnic race is Slavic(except Germany they used to think Slavs were subhuman!), one could then assume you are inferring that all Slavs look the same? Well there are in excess of 332 million Slavs living in central & eastern Europe without the ones living elsewhere and this would insult the lot of them. But surely someone would not go out of their way to do that - just blame failing NHS management on the ones at their local doctors surgery that they visit a lot.[/p][/quote]The reason I used the term eastern bloc was because I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from, and at no point did I imply as such, however lets ignore the actual point I was making as that would not help you trying to look all superioir. There are more people using NHS hospitals due to us living longer as well as people from new Europe coming to this country for "FREE" medical help, along with budget cuts and a reduction in front-line staff, is it not obvious why there are longer queues and missed targets (targets that should never be set). p.s. are you Duval, Folkestone Saint
  • Score: 3

6:16pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Mr_Right says...

Ok.

1) "...I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from". How did you know they were from a part of "new Europe"?

2) "I was actually referring to the fact that there is a huge demand of our services from people from other countries that have recently joined the EU". Can you provide your statistics and evidence for this, please? In actual fact, press & UKIP scaremongering that thousands of eastern Europeans would converge on the UK have proven utterly unfounded (as anyone with a modicum of common sense always knew it would.)

3) The dictionary defines racism as, "...the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others." Your point that most of the people in your doctors' surgery allegedly were of "Eastern European appearance", when there is absolutely no way of determining where they were from is making assumptions about people based on the colour of their skin, or their physical characteristics. I did not call you a racist - I said that your point was bordering on racist.

Oh, and I won't be coming to the Richard Aldworth reunion - not only did I not attend that school, I don't respond to idle threats of violence made by bully boys.
Ok. 1) "...I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from". How did you know they were from a part of "new Europe"? 2) "I was actually referring to the fact that there is a huge demand of our services from people from other countries that have recently joined the EU". Can you provide your statistics and evidence for this, please? In actual fact, press & UKIP scaremongering that thousands of eastern Europeans would converge on the UK have proven utterly unfounded (as anyone with a modicum of common sense always knew it would.) 3) The dictionary defines racism as, "...the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others." Your point that most of the people in your doctors' surgery allegedly were of "Eastern European appearance", when there is absolutely no way of determining where they were from is making assumptions about people based on the colour of their skin, or their physical characteristics. I did not call you a racist - I said that your point was bordering on racist. Oh, and I won't be coming to the Richard Aldworth reunion - not only did I not attend that school, I don't respond to idle threats of violence made by bully boys. Mr_Right
  • Score: 5

8:52pm Wed 2 Jul 14

jonone says...

Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
Who probably work, pay tax and national insurance and as such are fully entitled to make use of NHS services. As are white British benefit spongers who contribute nothing. But, hey, we'll blame the foreigners.
[quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]Who probably work, pay tax and national insurance and as such are fully entitled to make use of NHS services. As are white British benefit spongers who contribute nothing. But, hey, we'll blame the foreigners. jonone
  • Score: 11

10:52pm Wed 2 Jul 14

One born every minute says...

Folkestone Saint wrote:
CrossofLorraine wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
I think the reference to Eastern Bloc relates to the former communist states of Yugoslavia, East Germany, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and Romania.
But I am surprised someone can tell which one of Eastern Bloc states a person comes from by their appearance. Were they; wearing the traditional national costumes, talking and you understand the languages/regional dialects of these countries or, was it their physical features and/or the colour of their hair and skin?
Or you can tell someone’s hereditary just by looking at them. As all these Eastern Bloc countries ethnic race is Slavic(except Germany they used to think Slavs were subhuman!), one could then assume you are inferring that all Slavs look the same?
Well there are in excess of 332 million Slavs living in central & eastern Europe without the ones living elsewhere and this would insult the lot of them.
But surely someone would not go out of their way to do that - just blame failing NHS management on the ones at their local doctors surgery that they visit a lot.
The reason I used the term eastern bloc was because I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from, and at no point did I imply as such, however lets ignore the actual point I was making as that would not help you trying to look all superioir. There are more people using NHS hospitals due to us living longer as well as people from new Europe coming to this country for "FREE" medical help, along with budget cuts and a reduction in front-line staff, is it not obvious why there are longer queues and missed targets (targets that should never be set).
p.s. are you Duval,
Do you think Basingstoke hospital has seen a reduction in front line staff?
[quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CrossofLorraine[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]I think the reference to Eastern Bloc relates to the former communist states of Yugoslavia, East Germany, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and Romania. But I am surprised someone can tell which one of Eastern Bloc states a person comes from by their appearance. Were they; wearing the traditional national costumes, talking and you understand the languages/regional dialects of these countries or, was it their physical features and/or the colour of their hair and skin? Or you can tell someone’s hereditary just by looking at them. As all these Eastern Bloc countries ethnic race is Slavic(except Germany they used to think Slavs were subhuman!), one could then assume you are inferring that all Slavs look the same? Well there are in excess of 332 million Slavs living in central & eastern Europe without the ones living elsewhere and this would insult the lot of them. But surely someone would not go out of their way to do that - just blame failing NHS management on the ones at their local doctors surgery that they visit a lot.[/p][/quote]The reason I used the term eastern bloc was because I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from, and at no point did I imply as such, however lets ignore the actual point I was making as that would not help you trying to look all superioir. There are more people using NHS hospitals due to us living longer as well as people from new Europe coming to this country for "FREE" medical help, along with budget cuts and a reduction in front-line staff, is it not obvious why there are longer queues and missed targets (targets that should never be set). p.s. are you Duval,[/p][/quote]Do you think Basingstoke hospital has seen a reduction in front line staff? One born every minute
  • Score: 4

11:09pm Wed 2 Jul 14

One born every minute says...

Took my son there recently at 6pm on a Thursday. Seen by Paul (pictured above). X-rayed, given a splint and told how to look after it and home by 7pm. Superb service, although perhaps we got lucky.

The article is just saying be sensible and call 111if in doubt. We are lucky to have a decent local hospital, expecially as this country has been living beyond its means for so long. Let's all be a bit more grateful for their hard work and be a bit more positive.
Took my son there recently at 6pm on a Thursday. Seen by Paul (pictured above). X-rayed, given a splint and told how to look after it and home by 7pm. Superb service, although perhaps we got lucky. The article is just saying be sensible and call 111if in doubt. We are lucky to have a decent local hospital, expecially as this country has been living beyond its means for so long. Let's all be a bit more grateful for their hard work and be a bit more positive. One born every minute
  • Score: 19

9:21am Thu 3 Jul 14

laurence86 says...

With London house prices increasing at 19% people are going to move out of the city and we are going to see a demand on all of Basingstoke’s services. We are blessed to have a pretty good local hospital, I am sure that the staff can rise to the challenge. I Just hope that they get the support that they need from the executives who control the hospitals funding.
With London house prices increasing at 19% people are going to move out of the city and we are going to see a demand on all of Basingstoke’s services. We are blessed to have a pretty good local hospital, I am sure that the staff can rise to the challenge. I Just hope that they get the support that they need from the executives who control the hospitals funding. laurence86
  • Score: 11

10:14am Thu 3 Jul 14

JJ38JJ says...

Mr_Right wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
Mr_Right wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
What is "Eastern Bloc" appearance, please?
Well I had to work out what "leading to in long waits " from your quote, so I will let you work out what a person from the eastern bloc looks like
Mine was a typo. Yours was borderline racist.
Why is expressing an opinion based on observation or fact racist? If Folkestone's comment expressed dislike, criticism or generalisation with no basis then fair enough.
Part of the problem with immigration in the UK is that as soon as someone wants to take up the subject they are automatically branded as racist. Unfortunately there is no equivalent 'insult' for those that think that diversity is a positive thing.
[quote][p][bold]Mr_Right[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr_Right[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]What is "Eastern Bloc" appearance, please?[/p][/quote]Well I had to work out what "leading to in long waits " from your quote, so I will let you work out what a person from the eastern bloc looks like[/p][/quote]Mine was a typo. Yours was borderline racist.[/p][/quote]Why is expressing an opinion based on observation or fact racist? If Folkestone's comment expressed dislike, criticism or generalisation with no basis then fair enough. Part of the problem with immigration in the UK is that as soon as someone wants to take up the subject they are automatically branded as racist. Unfortunately there is no equivalent 'insult' for those that think that diversity is a positive thing. JJ38JJ
  • Score: 0

11:27am Thu 3 Jul 14

123456789aaa says...

Perhaps a little less time and money spent on thinking up job titles such as 'clinical director of unscheduled care' and a little more of both put into providing services might help? Just saying...
Perhaps a little less time and money spent on thinking up job titles such as 'clinical director of unscheduled care' and a little more of both put into providing services might help? Just saying... 123456789aaa
  • Score: -1

1:33pm Thu 3 Jul 14

4rchibald says...

Folkestone Saint wrote:
CrossofLorraine wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
I think the reference to Eastern Bloc relates to the former communist states of Yugoslavia, East Germany, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and Romania.
But I am surprised someone can tell which one of Eastern Bloc states a person comes from by their appearance. Were they; wearing the traditional national costumes, talking and you understand the languages/regional dialects of these countries or, was it their physical features and/or the colour of their hair and skin?
Or you can tell someone’s hereditary just by looking at them. As all these Eastern Bloc countries ethnic race is Slavic(except Germany they used to think Slavs were subhuman!), one could then assume you are inferring that all Slavs look the same?
Well there are in excess of 332 million Slavs living in central & eastern Europe without the ones living elsewhere and this would insult the lot of them.
But surely someone would not go out of their way to do that - just blame failing NHS management on the ones at their local doctors surgery that they visit a lot.
The reason I used the term eastern bloc was because I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from, and at no point did I imply as such, however lets ignore the actual point I was making as that would not help you trying to look all superioir. There are more people using NHS hospitals due to us living longer as well as people from new Europe coming to this country for "FREE" medical help, along with budget cuts and a reduction in front-line staff, is it not obvious why there are longer queues and missed targets (targets that should never be set).
p.s. are you Duval,
I can't understand your logic. This article is about A&E so how can you expect citizens of "Eastern Block" to use this department for "Free"? Do they just catch a plane to the UK when they break a leg ?
And the rest of them pay their taxes here so they are entitled to hospital care in the same way as everyone living here.

So following your suggestion, do you not think that Spain, Portugal and France should stop all Brits from using their hospital services...for free? Most don't even work there and don't pay any taxes (except of VAT and maybe local taxes).
[quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CrossofLorraine[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]I think the reference to Eastern Bloc relates to the former communist states of Yugoslavia, East Germany, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and Romania. But I am surprised someone can tell which one of Eastern Bloc states a person comes from by their appearance. Were they; wearing the traditional national costumes, talking and you understand the languages/regional dialects of these countries or, was it their physical features and/or the colour of their hair and skin? Or you can tell someone’s hereditary just by looking at them. As all these Eastern Bloc countries ethnic race is Slavic(except Germany they used to think Slavs were subhuman!), one could then assume you are inferring that all Slavs look the same? Well there are in excess of 332 million Slavs living in central & eastern Europe without the ones living elsewhere and this would insult the lot of them. But surely someone would not go out of their way to do that - just blame failing NHS management on the ones at their local doctors surgery that they visit a lot.[/p][/quote]The reason I used the term eastern bloc was because I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from, and at no point did I imply as such, however lets ignore the actual point I was making as that would not help you trying to look all superioir. There are more people using NHS hospitals due to us living longer as well as people from new Europe coming to this country for "FREE" medical help, along with budget cuts and a reduction in front-line staff, is it not obvious why there are longer queues and missed targets (targets that should never be set). p.s. are you Duval,[/p][/quote]I can't understand your logic. This article is about A&E so how can you expect citizens of "Eastern Block" to use this department for "Free"? Do they just catch a plane to the UK when they break a leg ? And the rest of them pay their taxes here so they are entitled to hospital care in the same way as everyone living here. So following your suggestion, do you not think that Spain, Portugal and France should stop all Brits from using their hospital services...for free? Most don't even work there and don't pay any taxes (except of VAT and maybe local taxes). 4rchibald
  • Score: 4

4:07pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Folkestone Saint says...

4rchibald wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
CrossofLorraine wrote:
Folkestone Saint wrote:
Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always
I think the reference to Eastern Bloc relates to the former communist states of Yugoslavia, East Germany, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and Romania.
But I am surprised someone can tell which one of Eastern Bloc states a person comes from by their appearance. Were they; wearing the traditional national costumes, talking and you understand the languages/regional dialects of these countries or, was it their physical features and/or the colour of their hair and skin?
Or you can tell someone’s hereditary just by looking at them. As all these Eastern Bloc countries ethnic race is Slavic(except Germany they used to think Slavs were subhuman!), one could then assume you are inferring that all Slavs look the same?
Well there are in excess of 332 million Slavs living in central & eastern Europe without the ones living elsewhere and this would insult the lot of them.
But surely someone would not go out of their way to do that - just blame failing NHS management on the ones at their local doctors surgery that they visit a lot.
The reason I used the term eastern bloc was because I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from, and at no point did I imply as such, however lets ignore the actual point I was making as that would not help you trying to look all superioir. There are more people using NHS hospitals due to us living longer as well as people from new Europe coming to this country for "FREE" medical help, along with budget cuts and a reduction in front-line staff, is it not obvious why there are longer queues and missed targets (targets that should never be set).
p.s. are you Duval,
I can't understand your logic. This article is about A&E so how can you expect citizens of "Eastern Block" to use this department for "Free"? Do they just catch a plane to the UK when they break a leg ?
And the rest of them pay their taxes here so they are entitled to hospital care in the same way as everyone living here.

So following your suggestion, do you not think that Spain, Portugal and France should stop all Brits from using their hospital services...for free? Most don't even work there and don't pay any taxes (except of VAT and maybe local taxes).
My logic is very simple, THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE USING THE SERVICE WITH THE SAME OR LESS STAFF TO DEAL WITH THEM, I may not have the best grammer or spelling but I do have A level maths so can work out why there is an increase in queues.
p.s. Try and get free servive in Spain, it's not impossible but almost
[quote][p][bold]4rchibald[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CrossofLorraine[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder when having visited my doctors today 2/3 of patients were of eastern block apperance, and it is always the same, always[/p][/quote]I think the reference to Eastern Bloc relates to the former communist states of Yugoslavia, East Germany, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and Romania. But I am surprised someone can tell which one of Eastern Bloc states a person comes from by their appearance. Were they; wearing the traditional national costumes, talking and you understand the languages/regional dialects of these countries or, was it their physical features and/or the colour of their hair and skin? Or you can tell someone’s hereditary just by looking at them. As all these Eastern Bloc countries ethnic race is Slavic(except Germany they used to think Slavs were subhuman!), one could then assume you are inferring that all Slavs look the same? Well there are in excess of 332 million Slavs living in central & eastern Europe without the ones living elsewhere and this would insult the lot of them. But surely someone would not go out of their way to do that - just blame failing NHS management on the ones at their local doctors surgery that they visit a lot.[/p][/quote]The reason I used the term eastern bloc was because I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from, and at no point did I imply as such, however lets ignore the actual point I was making as that would not help you trying to look all superioir. There are more people using NHS hospitals due to us living longer as well as people from new Europe coming to this country for "FREE" medical help, along with budget cuts and a reduction in front-line staff, is it not obvious why there are longer queues and missed targets (targets that should never be set). p.s. are you Duval,[/p][/quote]I can't understand your logic. This article is about A&E so how can you expect citizens of "Eastern Block" to use this department for "Free"? Do they just catch a plane to the UK when they break a leg ? And the rest of them pay their taxes here so they are entitled to hospital care in the same way as everyone living here. So following your suggestion, do you not think that Spain, Portugal and France should stop all Brits from using their hospital services...for free? Most don't even work there and don't pay any taxes (except of VAT and maybe local taxes).[/p][/quote]My logic is very simple, THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE USING THE SERVICE WITH THE SAME OR LESS STAFF TO DEAL WITH THEM, I may not have the best grammer or spelling but I do have A level maths so can work out why there is an increase in queues. p.s. Try and get free servive in Spain, it's not impossible but almost Folkestone Saint
  • Score: -3

4:29pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Folkestone Saint says...

Mr_Right wrote:
Ok.

1) "...I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from". How did you know they were from a part of "new Europe"?

2) "I was actually referring to the fact that there is a huge demand of our services from people from other countries that have recently joined the EU". Can you provide your statistics and evidence for this, please? In actual fact, press & UKIP scaremongering that thousands of eastern Europeans would converge on the UK have proven utterly unfounded (as anyone with a modicum of common sense always knew it would.)

3) The dictionary defines racism as, "...the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others." Your point that most of the people in your doctors' surgery allegedly were of "Eastern European appearance", when there is absolutely no way of determining where they were from is making assumptions about people based on the colour of their skin, or their physical characteristics. I did not call you a racist - I said that your point was bordering on racist.

Oh, and I won't be coming to the Richard Aldworth reunion - not only did I not attend that school, I don't respond to idle threats of violence made by bully boys.
Where was the threat?, making stuff up again and then hide behind your keyboard, typical
[quote][p][bold]Mr_Right[/bold] wrote: Ok. 1) "...I can't tell what part of the new Europe they are from". How did you know they were from a part of "new Europe"? 2) "I was actually referring to the fact that there is a huge demand of our services from people from other countries that have recently joined the EU". Can you provide your statistics and evidence for this, please? In actual fact, press & UKIP scaremongering that thousands of eastern Europeans would converge on the UK have proven utterly unfounded (as anyone with a modicum of common sense always knew it would.) 3) The dictionary defines racism as, "...the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others." Your point that most of the people in your doctors' surgery allegedly were of "Eastern European appearance", when there is absolutely no way of determining where they were from is making assumptions about people based on the colour of their skin, or their physical characteristics. I did not call you a racist - I said that your point was bordering on racist. Oh, and I won't be coming to the Richard Aldworth reunion - not only did I not attend that school, I don't respond to idle threats of violence made by bully boys.[/p][/quote]Where was the threat?, making stuff up again and then hide behind your keyboard, typical Folkestone Saint
  • Score: -6
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree