Town centre flats evacuated after faulty electrics in refrigerator cause fire

Basingstoke Gazette: Town centre flats evacuated this morning after fire breaks out in shop unit Town centre flats evacuated this morning after fire breaks out in shop unit

RESIDENTS were evacuated this morning from flats in New Street after a fire broke out in a shop unit.

The emergency services were called to the scene by a passing member of the public at 5.22am and the people living in the flats above the shop unit were evacuated by police as firefighters worked to extinguish the flames.

It is thought that an electrical fault was behind the fire, which started in a refrigerator.

Crew manager Neil Buckner, of Basingstoke fire station, said it took two firefighters in breathing apparatus around half an hour to fully deal with the fire.

Damage was limited to the shop unit and residents were able to return to their homes at around 6am.

Crew manager Buckner said: “There were no suspicious circumstances. It looks like there was a faulty electrical cable in the refrigerator.”

A total of nine firefighters attended the scene in two vehicles.

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree