Shock election winner Matthew Ellery vows to work hard for Brighton Hill

Controversial UKIP councillor Matthew Ellery

Controversial UKIP councillor Matthew Ellery

First published in News by , Reporter

THERE was no doubt what the surprise of the night was at the election count in Basingstoke and Deane last Thursday as UKIP candidate Matthew Ellery sensationally won a seat on the borough council.

Matthew Ellery won one of two seats up for grabs in the Brighton Hill South ward, coming second to Labour candidate Pamela Lonie, with 349 votes.

Because Mr Ellery came second, behind the Labour candidate, it means that he will occupy the by-election seat that was left vacant after the resignation of Labour’s David Eyre in April. This means he will serve until May 2016.

The 20-year-old UKIP candidate was a surprise winner, triumphing after he came under fire from opposition parties and Basingstoke voters following offensive comments posted on Facebook, in which he called Basingstoke women “pug ugly” and, in a comment on April 14, said: “Genuinely feel like stabbing someone today!!!”

However, confusion surrounded the part-time Bournemouth University student, who is studying accounting and taxation, on election night after UKIP election agent Phil Heath maintained that the candidate was an Independent as he had been suspended by the party over the comments controversy.

In another twist on an eventful evening, it emerged that Matthew Ellery is in fact the son of Basingstoke UKIP leader, Alan Stone.

But despite the comments from Mr Heath at the election count, Mr Stone has told The Gazette that his son is completely on board with the party following a disciplinary meeting chaired by UKIP county councillor for Andover South Tony Hooke on Monday.

Mr Stone, who is UKIP’s prospective Parliamentary candidate for Basingstoke in next year’s General Election, also said that his son was not suspended by the party but was suspended from the election campaign, whilst the party “looked into his behaviour”.

The Gazette has attempted to get in contact with Mr Ellery since last Thursday and has so far been refused access to the 20-year-old despite being told by his father that the newly-elected councillor would give an interview on Tuesday.

Instead, The Gazette was sent the following statement from Mr Ellery, who claims that the offensive comments posted by him on Facebook were only meant to be seen by his friends, despite his profile being public at the time. He has now restricted access to his profile to just his friends.

Mr Ellery said: “I was quite surprised to win the election, especially as the media had given me such a hard time over my Facebook messages. Maybe it was the increased attention that gave me the votes to win.

“My Facebook comments were never meant for everyone to see – they were private comments for my mates only. I do regret that they were seen by everyone.

“UKIP had a meeting with me on Monday. They have given me a few lessons on social media etiquette, and I don’t think I will be using it so much in the future.”

He added: “The Labour Party has been really rude and nasty ever since I won. I think they are jealous. If it hadn’t been for them making so much fuss, I don’t think I would have won. I am glad to be back with the UKIP team in Basingstoke – they are a good support (team) for me.

“I will work hard for Brighton Hill South and UKIP. It will be a challenge that I am sure I can rise to. My university work and professional career will be useful in my attempts with our UKIP county councillors to reduce the amount of wasteful bureaucracy in local government.”

His father added: “He was suspended from the campaign. We didn’t do any literature, and the electorate decided that he was a good candidate for the community, and the smear campaign about him in the national press was irrelevant.

“It is our first properly-elected seat in Basingstoke. We are proud that we have got one, but it would have been nice to get more.”

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:49pm Fri 30 May 14

CrossofLorraine says...

Oh folk of Brighton Hill South what have you done. I hope you understand that unless you are a uber fit, a vodka loving student, this young ego will have nothing in common or be able to relate to you in any way. Maybe once the vodka goggles are on he'll find you all attractive and won't feel the need to stab anyone.
Oh folk of Brighton Hill South what have you done. I hope you understand that unless you are a uber fit, a vodka loving student, this young ego will have nothing in common or be able to relate to you in any way. Maybe once the vodka goggles are on he'll find you all attractive and won't feel the need to stab anyone. CrossofLorraine
  • Score: 25

3:42pm Fri 30 May 14

Ambivalent says...

Leaving politics and different parties aside, I think anyone who can make such comments as these is lacking in common sense, respect and responsibility and expresses a poor judgment. Remarks such as the ones made reflect an attitude that I don't believe is conducive to representing all the people in the ward.
Does it give you confidence that he will represent you faithfully ... as long as he doesn't view you as pug ugly and you fit his perceived criteria?
Even if he didn't mean it, to express views about going out and stabbing someone is hardly something you'd expect from a councillor who is expected to be non judgemental, fair and understanding.
I'm surprised with the level of technical knowledge that most youngsters have, he didn't realise that these views could be viewed publically.
I think Matthew Ellery should go and do some serious growing up, get a good few years life experience under his belt and then come back and try again, if he really wants to represent the people of Basingstoke.
It's no good labelling it as a smear campaign ... remember that's what happened with people who criticised Maria Miller. If people, Basingstoke people feel something is wrong they have a right to object without it being called a smear campaign.
I find his comments offensive and objectionable and I'm glad he's representing Brighton Hill and not my ward.
Leaving politics and different parties aside, I think anyone who can make such comments as these is lacking in common sense, respect and responsibility and expresses a poor judgment. Remarks such as the ones made reflect an attitude that I don't believe is conducive to representing all the people in the ward. Does it give you confidence that he will represent you faithfully ... as long as he doesn't view you as pug ugly and you fit his perceived criteria? Even if he didn't mean it, to express views about going out and stabbing someone is hardly something you'd expect from a councillor who is expected to be non judgemental, fair and understanding. I'm surprised with the level of technical knowledge that most youngsters have, he didn't realise that these views could be viewed publically. I think Matthew Ellery should go and do some serious growing up, get a good few years life experience under his belt and then come back and try again, if he really wants to represent the people of Basingstoke. It's no good labelling it as a smear campaign ... remember that's what happened with people who criticised Maria Miller. If people, Basingstoke people feel something is wrong they have a right to object without it being called a smear campaign. I find his comments offensive and objectionable and I'm glad he's representing Brighton Hill and not my ward. Ambivalent
  • Score: 11

4:22pm Fri 30 May 14

Kirk D says...

Don't let them get you down Matthew. You are young and have been slightly injudicious.........
.but who hasn't at your age. I am sure you will have learned a vital lesson.........that politics is a dirty profession & you must always be on your guard. You sound like an intelligent chap, despite the loose comments, & I wish you all the best representing the good folk of Brighton Hill. You deserve a fair chance.
Don't let them get you down Matthew. You are young and have been slightly injudicious......... .but who hasn't at your age. I am sure you will have learned a vital lesson.........that politics is a dirty profession & you must always be on your guard. You sound like an intelligent chap, despite the loose comments, & I wish you all the best representing the good folk of Brighton Hill. You deserve a fair chance. Kirk D
  • Score: -21

4:41pm Fri 30 May 14

deborah.long14@btinternet.com says...

Well done Matthew, I am sure you will now attract many young people on board for UKIP.
Well done Matthew, I am sure you will now attract many young people on board for UKIP. deborah.long14@btinternet.com
  • Score: -16

6:52pm Fri 30 May 14

radders19 says...

Irrespective of what party he represents, the comment “My Facebook comments were never meant for everyone to see – they were private comments for my mates only. I do regret that they were seen by everyone" is bizarre. Even after some training (surely he has had some about talking to the media) he states that he only regrets that everyone saw his comments, not that he actually made them. Can you imagine if Maria Miller made these comments?
We have all made stupid mistakes when we were younger and said some stupid things, but twice about the same thing! When is he going to learn?
Irrespective of what party he represents, the comment “My Facebook comments were never meant for everyone to see – they were private comments for my mates only. I do regret that they were seen by everyone" is bizarre. Even after some training (surely he has had some about talking to the media) he states that he only regrets that everyone saw his comments, not that he actually made them. Can you imagine if Maria Miller made these comments? We have all made stupid mistakes when we were younger and said some stupid things, but twice about the same thing! When is he going to learn? radders19
  • Score: 15

1:53pm Sat 31 May 14

george chivers says...

It's interesting to note that in Brighton Hill South, Mr Ellery's ward there were 152 spoiled ballot papers. 142 of these being rejected for the reason of "rejected in part". Does anybody know what this means or why it happened in this particular ward. Does it mean that 142 ballot papers from 142 different people were rejected, or is it multiple ballot papers submitted by a small number of people?

No other wards had rejections at anywhere near this level.
It's interesting to note that in Brighton Hill South, Mr Ellery's ward there were 152 spoiled ballot papers. 142 of these being rejected for the reason of "rejected in part". Does anybody know what this means or why it happened in this particular ward. Does it mean that 142 ballot papers from 142 different people were rejected, or is it multiple ballot papers submitted by a small number of people? No other wards had rejections at anywhere near this level. george chivers
  • Score: 7

4:35pm Sat 31 May 14

Upontheroof says...

I would be really, really interested to see these spoilt papers as quite frankly I can't believe this is achievable.

As much as this guy is an immature chump at least he spoke to Jessica Bave to give his version of events. I'm still at a loss why Jessica has still not got Millers version after her last interview was rejected.
I would be really, really interested to see these spoilt papers as quite frankly I can't believe this is achievable. As much as this guy is an immature chump at least he spoke to Jessica Bave to give his version of events. I'm still at a loss why Jessica has still not got Millers version after her last interview was rejected. Upontheroof
  • Score: 3

8:03pm Sat 31 May 14

Hiliter says...

Interesting to note that there has never been any remorse shown by Ellery for the comments he made simply regret that they were seen by so many people.
Endorsed now by deborah.long 14 -unsurprising from one UKIP supporter to another I suppose.
Wasn't this the same deborah who was scathing about Maria Miller and her failure to show any remorse for her abuse of the expenses system.Also critical of her forced apology in the House of Commons - at least she made an apology of sorts.Clearly UKIP are happy to continue to endorse what Ellery said with no apology offered to the women of Basingstoke.
Interesting to note that there has never been any remorse shown by Ellery for the comments he made simply regret that they were seen by so many people. Endorsed now by deborah.long 14 -unsurprising from one UKIP supporter to another I suppose. Wasn't this the same deborah who was scathing about Maria Miller and her failure to show any remorse for her abuse of the expenses system.Also critical of her forced apology in the House of Commons - at least she made an apology of sorts.Clearly UKIP are happy to continue to endorse what Ellery said with no apology offered to the women of Basingstoke. Hiliter
  • Score: 8

8:12pm Sat 31 May 14

popleyrebel2 says...

Jessica Bave would need a court order to make Maria Miller MP talk about the political implications over her Housing benefit scandal, as thousands are being prosecuted for not declaring changes in their circumstances and must pay back in full she Maria Miller MP only paid back a very small % of hers, reduced from £45,000 to £5,000.
Jessica, put the questions to her, a no comment reply would speak volumes.
Jessica Bave would need a court order to make Maria Miller MP talk about the political implications over her Housing benefit scandal, as thousands are being prosecuted for not declaring changes in their circumstances and must pay back in full she Maria Miller MP only paid back a very small % of hers, reduced from £45,000 to £5,000. Jessica, put the questions to her, a no comment reply would speak volumes. popleyrebel2
  • Score: 5

8:33pm Sat 31 May 14

Marina Morris says...

Another fine mess left by David Eyre in Brighton Hill !!! ;-)
Another fine mess left by David Eyre in Brighton Hill !!! ;-) Marina Morris
  • Score: -3

9:50pm Sat 31 May 14

purple-turtle says...

His comments were stupid but I do wish him all the luck with his new role.
His comments were stupid but I do wish him all the luck with his new role. purple-turtle
  • Score: -12

2:08am Sun 1 Jun 14

kiz.bartlett says...

Young enough to make comments such as this but old enough to dictate the running of his local citizens. This isn't kids play now, he has big boys duties and he needs to put himself forward in a big boy way.

I don't support UKIP but they have received much scrutiny, and he is just another hiccup to them.

I just hope he gets his arse in gear and deals with this maturely and with a sensible head. Otherwise the papers will have a field day with him.
Young enough to make comments such as this but old enough to dictate the running of his local citizens. This isn't kids play now, he has big boys duties and he needs to put himself forward in a big boy way. I don't support UKIP but they have received much scrutiny, and he is just another hiccup to them. I just hope he gets his arse in gear and deals with this maturely and with a sensible head. Otherwise the papers will have a field day with him. kiz.bartlett
  • Score: 5

9:55am Sun 1 Jun 14

g potten says...

OUR COUNCIL should take up a campaign to have this young man bared from the council meetings, he may say his messages were private but they got out luckily to show what sort of person he can be in his mind. do no trust him if you feel that basingstoke women are ugly or want to stab another person.
OUR COUNCIL should take up a campaign to have this young man bared from the council meetings, he may say his messages were private but they got out luckily to show what sort of person he can be in his mind. do no trust him if you feel that basingstoke women are ugly or want to stab another person. g potten
  • Score: 6

12:42pm Sun 1 Jun 14

purple-ferret says...

Hiliter wrote:
Interesting to note that there has never been any remorse shown by Ellery for the comments he made simply regret that they were seen by so many people.
Endorsed now by deborah.long 14 -unsurprising from one UKIP supporter to another I suppose.
Wasn't this the same deborah who was scathing about Maria Miller and her failure to show any remorse for her abuse of the expenses system.Also critical of her forced apology in the House of Commons - at least she made an apology of sorts.Clearly UKIP are happy to continue to endorse what Ellery said with no apology offered to the women of Basingstoke.
Why should he show remorse? if people choose to be offended by what was obviously a joke between friends then they really need to take a look at themselves, nobody died, Ellery made no profit from his 'crime' unlike Miller, all this sanctimonious claptrap coming from some areas of our society is one of the reasons that UKIP are gaining popularity, many people are fed up with having everything they say being analyzed for signs of sexist, racist or Homophobic thoughts, if these comments had been made about white, heterosexual men no one would have cared less, one rule for one and one rule for another, as usual
[quote][p][bold]Hiliter[/bold] wrote: Interesting to note that there has never been any remorse shown by Ellery for the comments he made simply regret that they were seen by so many people. Endorsed now by deborah.long 14 -unsurprising from one UKIP supporter to another I suppose. Wasn't this the same deborah who was scathing about Maria Miller and her failure to show any remorse for her abuse of the expenses system.Also critical of her forced apology in the House of Commons - at least she made an apology of sorts.Clearly UKIP are happy to continue to endorse what Ellery said with no apology offered to the women of Basingstoke.[/p][/quote]Why should he show remorse? if people choose to be offended by what was obviously a joke between friends then they really need to take a look at themselves, nobody died, Ellery made no profit from his 'crime' unlike Miller, all this sanctimonious claptrap coming from some areas of our society is one of the reasons that UKIP are gaining popularity, many people are fed up with having everything they say being analyzed for signs of sexist, racist or Homophobic thoughts, if these comments had been made about white, heterosexual men no one would have cared less, one rule for one and one rule for another, as usual purple-ferret
  • Score: -2

7:17pm Sun 1 Jun 14

Hiliter says...

purple - ferret. You are right - nobody died - yet.
If that's your idea of a joke between friends it probably says a lot about the company you keep.
You are also right about white heterosexual men but there again this group in society rarely if ever is the subject of bigoted jokes but often are the group who make them against others.
I ought to add that this only applies to some white heterosexual men - probably just enough to populate the ranks of UKIP and the like.
purple - ferret. You are right - nobody died - yet. If that's your idea of a joke between friends it probably says a lot about the company you keep. You are also right about white heterosexual men but there again this group in society rarely if ever is the subject of bigoted jokes but often are the group who make them against others. I ought to add that this only applies to some white heterosexual men - probably just enough to populate the ranks of UKIP and the like. Hiliter
  • Score: 2

7:49pm Sun 1 Jun 14

jonone says...

purple-ferret wrote:
Hiliter wrote:
Interesting to note that there has never been any remorse shown by Ellery for the comments he made simply regret that they were seen by so many people.
Endorsed now by deborah.long 14 -unsurprising from one UKIP supporter to another I suppose.
Wasn't this the same deborah who was scathing about Maria Miller and her failure to show any remorse for her abuse of the expenses system.Also critical of her forced apology in the House of Commons - at least she made an apology of sorts.Clearly UKIP are happy to continue to endorse what Ellery said with no apology offered to the women of Basingstoke.
Why should he show remorse? if people choose to be offended by what was obviously a joke between friends then they really need to take a look at themselves, nobody died, Ellery made no profit from his 'crime' unlike Miller, all this sanctimonious claptrap coming from some areas of our society is one of the reasons that UKIP are gaining popularity, many people are fed up with having everything they say being analyzed for signs of sexist, racist or Homophobic thoughts, if these comments had been made about white, heterosexual men no one would have cared less, one rule for one and one rule for another, as usual
You joke with your friends about stabbing people? What a lovely person you are.
[quote][p][bold]purple-ferret[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hiliter[/bold] wrote: Interesting to note that there has never been any remorse shown by Ellery for the comments he made simply regret that they were seen by so many people. Endorsed now by deborah.long 14 -unsurprising from one UKIP supporter to another I suppose. Wasn't this the same deborah who was scathing about Maria Miller and her failure to show any remorse for her abuse of the expenses system.Also critical of her forced apology in the House of Commons - at least she made an apology of sorts.Clearly UKIP are happy to continue to endorse what Ellery said with no apology offered to the women of Basingstoke.[/p][/quote]Why should he show remorse? if people choose to be offended by what was obviously a joke between friends then they really need to take a look at themselves, nobody died, Ellery made no profit from his 'crime' unlike Miller, all this sanctimonious claptrap coming from some areas of our society is one of the reasons that UKIP are gaining popularity, many people are fed up with having everything they say being analyzed for signs of sexist, racist or Homophobic thoughts, if these comments had been made about white, heterosexual men no one would have cared less, one rule for one and one rule for another, as usual[/p][/quote]You joke with your friends about stabbing people? What a lovely person you are. jonone
  • Score: 10

1:23pm Mon 2 Jun 14

JJ38JJ says...

george chivers wrote:
It's interesting to note that in Brighton Hill South, Mr Ellery's ward there were 152 spoiled ballot papers. 142 of these being rejected for the reason of "rejected in part". Does anybody know what this means or why it happened in this particular ward. Does it mean that 142 ballot papers from 142 different people were rejected, or is it multiple ballot papers submitted by a small number of people?

No other wards had rejections at anywhere near this level.
I think if it was a small number of people then we'd be talking electoral fraud and the result would be pending a criminal investigation. We are talking 152 dimwits who have to live with the consequences of their actions.
[quote][p][bold]george chivers[/bold] wrote: It's interesting to note that in Brighton Hill South, Mr Ellery's ward there were 152 spoiled ballot papers. 142 of these being rejected for the reason of "rejected in part". Does anybody know what this means or why it happened in this particular ward. Does it mean that 142 ballot papers from 142 different people were rejected, or is it multiple ballot papers submitted by a small number of people? No other wards had rejections at anywhere near this level.[/p][/quote]I think if it was a small number of people then we'd be talking electoral fraud and the result would be pending a criminal investigation. We are talking 152 dimwits who have to live with the consequences of their actions. JJ38JJ
  • Score: 3

6:05pm Mon 2 Jun 14

purple-ferret says...

Hiliter wrote:
purple - ferret. You are right - nobody died - yet.
If that's your idea of a joke between friends it probably says a lot about the company you keep.
You are also right about white heterosexual men but there again this group in society rarely if ever is the subject of bigoted jokes but often are the group who make them against others.
I ought to add that this only applies to some white heterosexual men - probably just enough to populate the ranks of UKIP and the like.
Its a turn of phrase, like when a mother say's to a child 'I'll have your guts for garters' this does not mean that the mother wants to disembowel her own children, almost all negative stereotypes portrayed in the media feature white heterosexual men,and when was the last time you heard a joke at the expense anyone other that white heterosexual men, but because they have a sense of humour and don't play the victim, it goes un- noticed, and the fact that you seem so desperate to find something wrong in a young man's private conversation say's a lot about you
[quote][p][bold]Hiliter[/bold] wrote: purple - ferret. You are right - nobody died - yet. If that's your idea of a joke between friends it probably says a lot about the company you keep. You are also right about white heterosexual men but there again this group in society rarely if ever is the subject of bigoted jokes but often are the group who make them against others. I ought to add that this only applies to some white heterosexual men - probably just enough to populate the ranks of UKIP and the like.[/p][/quote]Its a turn of phrase, like when a mother say's to a child 'I'll have your guts for garters' this does not mean that the mother wants to disembowel her own children, almost all negative stereotypes portrayed in the media feature white heterosexual men,and when was the last time you heard a joke at the expense anyone other that white heterosexual men, but because they have a sense of humour and don't play the victim, it goes un- noticed, and the fact that you seem so desperate to find something wrong in a young man's private conversation say's a lot about you purple-ferret
  • Score: -6

6:15pm Mon 2 Jun 14

purple-ferret says...

jonone wrote:
purple-ferret wrote:
Hiliter wrote:
Interesting to note that there has never been any remorse shown by Ellery for the comments he made simply regret that they were seen by so many people.
Endorsed now by deborah.long 14 -unsurprising from one UKIP supporter to another I suppose.
Wasn't this the same deborah who was scathing about Maria Miller and her failure to show any remorse for her abuse of the expenses system.Also critical of her forced apology in the House of Commons - at least she made an apology of sorts.Clearly UKIP are happy to continue to endorse what Ellery said with no apology offered to the women of Basingstoke.
Why should he show remorse? if people choose to be offended by what was obviously a joke between friends then they really need to take a look at themselves, nobody died, Ellery made no profit from his 'crime' unlike Miller, all this sanctimonious claptrap coming from some areas of our society is one of the reasons that UKIP are gaining popularity, many people are fed up with having everything they say being analyzed for signs of sexist, racist or Homophobic thoughts, if these comments had been made about white, heterosexual men no one would have cared less, one rule for one and one rule for another, as usual
You joke with your friends about stabbing people? What a lovely person you are.
Many young people say these type of things, they don'actually mean them, you really ought to be more understanding towards young people
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]purple-ferret[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hiliter[/bold] wrote: Interesting to note that there has never been any remorse shown by Ellery for the comments he made simply regret that they were seen by so many people. Endorsed now by deborah.long 14 -unsurprising from one UKIP supporter to another I suppose. Wasn't this the same deborah who was scathing about Maria Miller and her failure to show any remorse for her abuse of the expenses system.Also critical of her forced apology in the House of Commons - at least she made an apology of sorts.Clearly UKIP are happy to continue to endorse what Ellery said with no apology offered to the women of Basingstoke.[/p][/quote]Why should he show remorse? if people choose to be offended by what was obviously a joke between friends then they really need to take a look at themselves, nobody died, Ellery made no profit from his 'crime' unlike Miller, all this sanctimonious claptrap coming from some areas of our society is one of the reasons that UKIP are gaining popularity, many people are fed up with having everything they say being analyzed for signs of sexist, racist or Homophobic thoughts, if these comments had been made about white, heterosexual men no one would have cared less, one rule for one and one rule for another, as usual[/p][/quote]You joke with your friends about stabbing people? What a lovely person you are.[/p][/quote]Many young people say these type of things, they don'actually mean them, you really ought to be more understanding towards young people purple-ferret
  • Score: -8

7:06pm Mon 2 Jun 14

popleyrebel2 says...

The families of the following would not be so understanding to the remarks (statement) made by Matthew Ellery.
David Shadwell, Stephen Hollow, Ann Maguire and Drummer Lee Rigby to name but a few.
The families of the following would not be so understanding to the remarks (statement) made by Matthew Ellery. David Shadwell, Stephen Hollow, Ann Maguire and Drummer Lee Rigby to name but a few. popleyrebel2
  • Score: 7

11:44pm Mon 2 Jun 14

purple-ferret says...

popleyrebel2 wrote:
The families of the following would not be so understanding to the remarks (statement) made by Matthew Ellery.
David Shadwell, Stephen Hollow, Ann Maguire and Drummer Lee Rigby to name but a few.
They probably don't appreciate you using their names to prove a point, smacks of desperation, and by the way I happen to have been close to one of the individuals you mention, and I don't have a problem with Ellery's childish comment, I take it for what it is, stop looking for things that aren't there
[quote][p][bold]popleyrebel2[/bold] wrote: The families of the following would not be so understanding to the remarks (statement) made by Matthew Ellery. David Shadwell, Stephen Hollow, Ann Maguire and Drummer Lee Rigby to name but a few.[/p][/quote]They probably don't appreciate you using their names to prove a point, smacks of desperation, and by the way I happen to have been close to one of the individuals you mention, and I don't have a problem with Ellery's childish comment, I take it for what it is, stop looking for things that aren't there purple-ferret
  • Score: -8

12:46pm Tue 3 Jun 14

jonone says...

purple-ferret wrote:
popleyrebel2 wrote: The families of the following would not be so understanding to the remarks (statement) made by Matthew Ellery. David Shadwell, Stephen Hollow, Ann Maguire and Drummer Lee Rigby to name but a few.
They probably don't appreciate you using their names to prove a point, smacks of desperation, and by the way I happen to have been close to one of the individuals you mention, and I don't have a problem with Ellery's childish comment, I take it for what it is, stop looking for things that aren't there
Personally, I don't give a **** whether you are OK with the comment - that merely reflects what an unpleasant person you are.

No wonder discipline is going down the toilet in this country with people like you on the increase.
[quote][p][bold]purple-ferret[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]popleyrebel2[/bold] wrote: The families of the following would not be so understanding to the remarks (statement) made by Matthew Ellery. David Shadwell, Stephen Hollow, Ann Maguire and Drummer Lee Rigby to name but a few.[/p][/quote]They probably don't appreciate you using their names to prove a point, smacks of desperation, and by the way I happen to have been close to one of the individuals you mention, and I don't have a problem with Ellery's childish comment, I take it for what it is, stop looking for things that aren't there[/p][/quote]Personally, I don't give a **** whether you are OK with the comment - that merely reflects what an unpleasant person you are. No wonder discipline is going down the toilet in this country with people like you on the increase. jonone
  • Score: 6

12:48pm Tue 3 Jun 14

jonone says...

Incidently, the word I used was d a m n - nothing more.
Incidently, the word I used was d a m n - nothing more. jonone
  • Score: 1

1:02pm Tue 3 Jun 14

popleyrebel2 says...

Personally I don’t give a toss what Purple Ferret think of my post, It was written with the upmost respect for the victims of knife crime, furthermore, knife crime and the threat of knife crime is NO joke and therefore, Purple Ferrets remarks are an insult to the victims of crime and their families.
Personally I don’t give a toss what Purple Ferret think of my post, It was written with the upmost respect for the victims of knife crime, furthermore, knife crime and the threat of knife crime is NO joke and therefore, Purple Ferrets remarks are an insult to the victims of crime and their families. popleyrebel2
  • Score: 8

10:07pm Tue 3 Jun 14

purple-ferret says...

popleyrebel2 wrote:
Personally I don’t give a toss what Purple Ferret think of my post, It was written with the upmost respect for the victims of knife crime, furthermore, knife crime and the threat of knife crime is NO joke and therefore, Purple Ferrets remarks are an insult to the victims of crime and their families.
When did you become the spokesperson for victims of knife crime?
[quote][p][bold]popleyrebel2[/bold] wrote: Personally I don’t give a toss what Purple Ferret think of my post, It was written with the upmost respect for the victims of knife crime, furthermore, knife crime and the threat of knife crime is NO joke and therefore, Purple Ferrets remarks are an insult to the victims of crime and their families.[/p][/quote]When did you become the spokesperson for victims of knife crime? purple-ferret
  • Score: -1

10:25pm Tue 3 Jun 14

purple-ferret says...

jonone wrote:
purple-ferret wrote:
popleyrebel2 wrote: The families of the following would not be so understanding to the remarks (statement) made by Matthew Ellery. David Shadwell, Stephen Hollow, Ann Maguire and Drummer Lee Rigby to name but a few.
They probably don't appreciate you using their names to prove a point, smacks of desperation, and by the way I happen to have been close to one of the individuals you mention, and I don't have a problem with Ellery's childish comment, I take it for what it is, stop looking for things that aren't there
Personally, I don't give a **** whether you are OK with the comment - that merely reflects what an unpleasant person you are.

No wonder discipline is going down the toilet in this country with people like you on the increase.
What evidence do you have that discipline is going down the toilet in this country?, the vast majority of countries in the world are in a far worse state than this one, but if you feel this country is so terrible, feel free to emigrate to somewhere better, I'm sure your enlightened and intelligent views will be very welcome.
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]purple-ferret[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]popleyrebel2[/bold] wrote: The families of the following would not be so understanding to the remarks (statement) made by Matthew Ellery. David Shadwell, Stephen Hollow, Ann Maguire and Drummer Lee Rigby to name but a few.[/p][/quote]They probably don't appreciate you using their names to prove a point, smacks of desperation, and by the way I happen to have been close to one of the individuals you mention, and I don't have a problem with Ellery's childish comment, I take it for what it is, stop looking for things that aren't there[/p][/quote]Personally, I don't give a **** whether you are OK with the comment - that merely reflects what an unpleasant person you are. No wonder discipline is going down the toilet in this country with people like you on the increase.[/p][/quote]What evidence do you have that discipline is going down the toilet in this country?, the vast majority of countries in the world are in a far worse state than this one, but if you feel this country is so terrible, feel free to emigrate to somewhere better, I'm sure your enlightened and intelligent views will be very welcome. purple-ferret
  • Score: 0

8:15am Wed 4 Jun 14

popleyrebel2 says...

Quote from Purple Ferret
“When did you become the spokesperson for victims of knife crime?” un-quote.

What a totally irresponsible, immature response to a very serious issue that has affected so many lives.
Are you a member of the same club/ nursery as Matthew??
Quote from Purple Ferret “When did you become the spokesperson for victims of knife crime?” un-quote. What a totally irresponsible, immature response to a very serious issue that has affected so many lives. Are you a member of the same club/ nursery as Matthew?? popleyrebel2
  • Score: 4

8:26pm Wed 4 Jun 14

purple-ferret says...

popleyrebel2 wrote:
Quote from Purple Ferret
“When did you become the spokesperson for victims of knife crime?” un-quote.

What a totally irresponsible, immature response to a very serious issue that has affected so many lives.
Are you a member of the same club/ nursery as Matthew??
No I am a member of the club that wants to eradicate pompous dim wits whose sole purpose in life is to go around looking for something to complain about, I notice that you did not answer my question, tried to side step it by being even more sanctimonious than usual.
[quote][p][bold]popleyrebel2[/bold] wrote: Quote from Purple Ferret “When did you become the spokesperson for victims of knife crime?” un-quote. What a totally irresponsible, immature response to a very serious issue that has affected so many lives. Are you a member of the same club/ nursery as Matthew??[/p][/quote]No I am a member of the club that wants to eradicate pompous dim wits whose sole purpose in life is to go around looking for something to complain about, I notice that you did not answer my question, tried to side step it by being even more sanctimonious than usual. purple-ferret
  • Score: 0

8:33pm Wed 4 Jun 14

purple-ferret says...

jonone wrote:
Incidently, the word I used was d a m n - nothing more.
Why didn't you write that in the original post then?
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: Incidently, the word I used was d a m n - nothing more.[/p][/quote]Why didn't you write that in the original post then? purple-ferret
  • Score: -2

7:59am Thu 5 Jun 14

popleyrebel2 says...

When did you become the spokesperson for victims of knife crime?

Thankfully I’m not qualified to become their spokesperson, however, like millions up and down the land would support any campaign to highlight the dangers of using, carrying and threatening behavior with a knife, (knife crime)
If that qualifies me (in your opinion) as a pompous dim wit, sanctimonious then I’m please that I belong to biggest club you could ever imagine, the millions that are against knife crime.
When did you become the spokesperson for victims of knife crime? Thankfully I’m not qualified to become their spokesperson, however, like millions up and down the land would support any campaign to highlight the dangers of using, carrying and threatening behavior with a knife, (knife crime) If that qualifies me (in your opinion) as a pompous dim wit, sanctimonious then I’m please that I belong to biggest club you could ever imagine, the millions that are against knife crime. popleyrebel2
  • Score: 0

10:21pm Thu 5 Jun 14

purple-ferret says...

popleyrebel2 wrote:
When did you become the spokesperson for victims of knife crime?

Thankfully I’m not qualified to become their spokesperson, however, like millions up and down the land would support any campaign to highlight the dangers of using, carrying and threatening behavior with a knife, (knife crime)
If that qualifies me (in your opinion) as a pompous dim wit, sanctimonious then I’m please that I belong to biggest club you could ever imagine, the millions that are against knife crime.
Again you are trying to gain the moral high ground, by spouting clap-trap, by your own admission you are not qualified to become the spokesperson for knife crime so why did you start name dropping to try and prove a point, did you speak to the victims families, to get their views? if not then those comments are worse than those of Ellery,
[quote][p][bold]popleyrebel2[/bold] wrote: When did you become the spokesperson for victims of knife crime? Thankfully I’m not qualified to become their spokesperson, however, like millions up and down the land would support any campaign to highlight the dangers of using, carrying and threatening behavior with a knife, (knife crime) If that qualifies me (in your opinion) as a pompous dim wit, sanctimonious then I’m please that I belong to biggest club you could ever imagine, the millions that are against knife crime.[/p][/quote]Again you are trying to gain the moral high ground, by spouting clap-trap, by your own admission you are not qualified to become the spokesperson for knife crime so why did you start name dropping to try and prove a point, did you speak to the victims families, to get their views? if not then those comments are worse than those of Ellery, purple-ferret
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree