A DEFENDANT wept in the dock as he watched CCTV footage of a brutal attack he carried out on two men – leaving one victim with a broken ankle.

Ben Thomas kicked and punched Tomasz Supinski as he lay in Wote Street, Basingstoke, before attacking Damian Beym, in the early hours of Saturday, November 16 last year.

The 23-year-old cried in the dock at Winchester Crown Court as he watched CCTV footage of the attack.

The court heard that the two victims, who are Polish, were going back home after a night out when they heard loud English voices shouting at them from behind.

Sadie Rizzo, prosecuting, said Mr Beym turned around to say he didn’t understand what was being said, at which point Thomas became angry and threw punches at both men.

The footage showed Thomas later running down Wote Street and jumping on top of Mr Supinski.

The two men grappled on the floor before Thomas got up and started punching and kicking Mr Supinski, who was on the floor with his shirt around his head. Thomas also aimed punches and kicks at Mr Beym before a friend led him away.

The court heard Mr Supinski suffered a dislocated fracture of his right ankle that needed surgery, as well as cuts and bruises. Mr Beym was not seriously injured.

Ms Rizzo added: “This is a sustained assault which lasted for quite some time, and there is clearly the use of a foot as a weapon when someone is on the floor.”

The court heard Thomas was arrested at the scene and was apologetic when he was shown still images of the CCTV footage in interview.

Thomas, of The Harrow Way, Viables, Basingstoke, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and common assault.

The court heard he had previous convictions for drunken street violence.

Sunyana Sharma, defending, said Thomas recognised he had a problem controlling his temper when drunk, and was sorry for what he had done.

Recorder Brian Lett said: “People who choose to go binge-drinking must realise if they have a tendency to change character when they are in drink and become violent, then the court will extend to them absolutely no sympathy whatsoever.”

He sentenced Thomas to a total of 20 months imprisonment, with a £100 victim surcharge.