THE WEATHER may be getting warmer, but fire chiefs in Hampshire are urging homeowners to Spring clean their chimneys.
Personnel from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service attended six chimney fires in the last week.
The fires are caused when soot or creosote deposits in the chimney catch light.
The service saw a number of devastating chimney fires at thatched cottages this time last year.
Community safety officer Paul Francis said: “Now that the weather is warmer a chimney fire may seem unlikely but these fires can have devastating effects.
“Chimney fires in all types of properties can usually be prevented. Our advice is to get your chimney inspected and checked regularly by a registered chimney sweep and this will help prevent the fire.”
For more information, visit hantsfire.gov.uk/chimneyfire