When news happens, text BAZ and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
20 famous people with links to the Basingstoke area
YOU might not associate Basingstoke with the glamorous world of celebrities. But there may be more famous faces linked with the borough of Basingstoke than you thought. Here are 20 people, from the internationally famous to the who are they? z-listers, who either live in the Basingstoke area, or have links to it. We’ll let you decide which end of the scale they fall on!
1. Harry Styles – the world-famous popstar's cousin, Ben Selley, lives in Tadley and is a member of Basingstoke boy band Concept. Harry’s grandfather also lives in Bramley. The One Direction singer was spotted in Sainsbury’s supermarket, in Tadley, at the time he was competing on X-Factor.
2. Liz Hurley – the model and actress, who was with Hugh Grant for 13 years, attended Harriet Costello School in the 1970s, now known as The Costello School.
3. Laura Marling – the Brit award winning singer grew up in Eversley, near Hook.
4. Keith Chegwin – the 1980s television presenter lives in Ashmansworth, on the outskirts of Basingstoke and Deane. Last year he took part in ITV’s Dancing on Ice and rehearsed for the show at Basingstoke’s Planet Ice (pictured below).
5. Steve Hewlett – Steve came fourth on last year’s Britain’s Got Talent and now has a 38-tour theatre date.
6. Tanita Tikaram – the 1980s popstar moved from her home country of Germany to Basingstoke when she was in her teens. Her brother actor, Ramon Tikaram, has been spotted in Basingstoke in recent years.
7. Katy Brand – the English comedy actress has reportedly been spotted in Oakley several times, visiting the local farm shop, sparking rumours that she has bought a house in the village. Watch the video below of Katy perfoming Beyonce's Single Ladies dance for Sport Relief.
8. Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber – the famous British composer lives at Sydmonton Court, near Kingsclere.
9. Clare Balding – the television presenter grew up in Kingsclere, where her family still live. Her brother, Andrew, runs Park House Stables in the village. Last year, Clare turned up to open Kingsclere’s village fete (pictured below).
10. Dr Hilary Jones – the celebrity doctor became a junior doctor at Basingstoke hospital before becoming a GP in the Basingstoke area. The picture below is of Dr Jones opening a walk-in centre in Basingstoke.
11. Shelley Conn - the television actress, who is best known for her role in BBC1’s Mistresses, was head girl at Cranbourne School before attending Queen Mary’s College.
12. Carl Barat – the lead guitarist of Dirty Pretty Things was born in Basingstoke and spent most of his childhood in Whitchurch.
13. Alex Thomson – the chief correspondent for Channel 4 News attended Cranbourne School.
14. Falcon – the former Gladiator, whose real name is Bernadette Hunt, lives in Basingstoke and used to work for the Sports Centre.
15. Sarah Ferguson – The Duchess of York lived at Dummer Down Farm, in Dummer, from the age of eight. In December 2012 she accompanied her daughter’s Beatrice and Eugenie and ex-husband Prince Andrew to the wedding of her stepmother, Susan Ferguson, at All Saints Church, in Dummer.
16. John Frieda – the celebrity hairstylist, who was married to singer Lulu, lives in Upton Grey. In 2012 he helped save the village pub, the Hoddington Arms (pictured below), by reportedly donating funds along with two other businessmen.
17. Tara Palmer-Tomkinson – the English socialite's father, Charles, owns the 1,200 acre Dummer Grange estate near Basingstoke.
18. Brian Wheeler – the dwarf actor, who lives in Whitchurch, has appeared in various television shows and films, including Return of the Jedi and Harry Potter. In 2010 he was in the news when Whitchurch installed an ATM cash machine 19.8 inches from the pavement - the perfect height for Brian (pictured below).
19. Jody Scheckter – the former Formula One champion now lives in Laverstoke, where he owns Laverstoke Park Farm with his wife Clare.
20. Richard Adams – the author, who wrote Watership Down, lives in Whitchurch. The picture below shows him celebrating his 90th birthday in 2010 at The White Hart, in Whitchurch.
Comments are closed on this article.