Deeside campaigner to stand as UKIP candidate for borough council

Debbie Long will run for UKIP as a potential borough councillor for the Buckskin ward in Basingstoke in May

Debbie Long will run for UKIP as a potential borough councillor for the Buckskin ward in Basingstoke in May

First published in News by , Reporter

A CAMPAIGNER who tried to save a Basingstoke care home from closure is gearing up for another battle – this time to become a borough councillor.

Debbie Long, of Appletree Close, Oakley, will run for UKIP as a potential borough councillor for the Buckskin ward in Basingstoke in May.

Mrs Long, whose 75-year-old father is a resident at Deeside, in Alliston Way, South Ham, was chairman of the Save Deeside campaign group.

Despite their efforts failing when Hampshire County Council decided to close the home, the mother-of-three, who is a full-time IT account manager, said the fact she was involved in the hard-fought campaign helped her to decide to run for the Buckskin seat on Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council.

She told The Gazette: “I was told I had a massive influence to get Roy Perry (Hampshire County Council leader) involved, and it was a huge achievement to make Hampshire County Council stand up and realise how passionate people were about elderly people and, in particular, dementia sufferers.

“The thing that came out of it was the public support and it was from all ages, young and old. We believed in what we were doing, and we had Hampshire County Council on the ropes.”

She added: “I had no political input but obviously as time went on, I realised if you don’t stand up and be counted, they are just going to do what they want to do.

“I want to be the people’s voice, I want the community to come together and I want to bring back the old-fashioned values and support for looking after the elderly.

“But it is not just about the elderly. I am also passionate about young people.

“I am an ordinary person and have decided to make a stand to try and make a difference.

“I have had lots of campaign advice from Basingstoke UKIP leader Alan Stone and Hampshire County Councillor for Andover South Tony Hooke. They want me on board because I was so passionate about Deeside.”

Mr Stone, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for the Basingstoke seat, said: “Debbie is a brilliant campaigner and she is not afraid to get involved.

“She is very passionate about local people and about people in general, and is a real asset to UKIP.”

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:36am Wed 19 Feb 14

JJ38JJ says...

If she really is "passionate about local people" shouldn't she be trying to represent Oakley? For me this story represents everything that is wrong with local politics. Her loyalty is primarily to a political party with those that elect her just a means to an end. Councillors should have an address in their ward.
If she really is "passionate about local people" shouldn't she be trying to represent Oakley? For me this story represents everything that is wrong with local politics. Her loyalty is primarily to a political party with those that elect her just a means to an end. Councillors should have an address in their ward. JJ38JJ
  • Score: 8

12:41pm Wed 19 Feb 14

AHSTONE says...

Debbies loyalties will always be with those who elect her. Ukip does not "whip" it's councillors and she will have a free rein (if elected) to work for the people of Buckskin and Worting, which, after all, just around the corner from where she lives.
Debbies loyalties will always be with those who elect her. Ukip does not "whip" it's councillors and she will have a free rein (if elected) to work for the people of Buckskin and Worting, which, after all, just around the corner from where she lives. AHSTONE
  • Score: -10

9:43pm Wed 19 Feb 14

deborah.long14@btinternet.com says...

JJ38JJ wrote:
If she really is "passionate about local people" shouldn't she be trying to represent Oakley? For me this story represents everything that is wrong with local politics. Her loyalty is primarily to a political party with those that elect her just a means to an end. Councillors should have an address in their ward.
JJ38JJ and you are?? I feel that I would benefit the people in the Buckskin and Worting ward far more than those in Oakley. The fact that I am passionate about helping people where ever they are from is all that matters! And if I can use a political influence to do that, then all well and good in my book..
[quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: If she really is "passionate about local people" shouldn't she be trying to represent Oakley? For me this story represents everything that is wrong with local politics. Her loyalty is primarily to a political party with those that elect her just a means to an end. Councillors should have an address in their ward.[/p][/quote]JJ38JJ and you are?? I feel that I would benefit the people in the Buckskin and Worting ward far more than those in Oakley. The fact that I am passionate about helping people where ever they are from is all that matters! And if I can use a political influence to do that, then all well and good in my book.. deborah.long14@btinternet.com
  • Score: -4

8:09am Thu 20 Feb 14

Best_Name_Ever says...

deborah.long14@btint
ernet.com
wrote:
JJ38JJ wrote: If she really is "passionate about local people" shouldn't she be trying to represent Oakley? For me this story represents everything that is wrong with local politics. Her loyalty is primarily to a political party with those that elect her just a means to an end. Councillors should have an address in their ward.
JJ38JJ and you are?? I feel that I would benefit the people in the Buckskin and Worting ward far more than those in Oakley. The fact that I am passionate about helping people where ever they are from is all that matters! And if I can use a political influence to do that, then all well and good in my book..
I think JJ38JJ made a fair and reasonable point and your first instinct is to question him/her of not being passionate about local people because of it. Good start.
[quote][p][bold]deborah.long14@btint ernet.com[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: If she really is "passionate about local people" shouldn't she be trying to represent Oakley? For me this story represents everything that is wrong with local politics. Her loyalty is primarily to a political party with those that elect her just a means to an end. Councillors should have an address in their ward.[/p][/quote]JJ38JJ and you are?? I feel that I would benefit the people in the Buckskin and Worting ward far more than those in Oakley. The fact that I am passionate about helping people where ever they are from is all that matters! And if I can use a political influence to do that, then all well and good in my book..[/p][/quote]I think JJ38JJ made a fair and reasonable point and your first instinct is to question him/her of not being passionate about local people because of it. Good start. Best_Name_Ever
  • Score: 9

10:46am Thu 20 Feb 14

JJ38JJ says...

deborah.long14@btint
ernet.com
wrote:
JJ38JJ wrote:
If she really is "passionate about local people" shouldn't she be trying to represent Oakley? For me this story represents everything that is wrong with local politics. Her loyalty is primarily to a political party with those that elect her just a means to an end. Councillors should have an address in their ward.
JJ38JJ and you are?? I feel that I would benefit the people in the Buckskin and Worting ward far more than those in Oakley. The fact that I am passionate about helping people where ever they are from is all that matters! And if I can use a political influence to do that, then all well and good in my book..
I take your point regarding my anonymity and it's a fair one. However as I'm only asking a question and giving my opinion on the political process I'm comfortable with it.
The question has to be why you have to align yourself with a political party whose primary stance is at a national and international level. If you have strong views on Britain's relationship with the EU then stand for a seat in parliament not the Borough Council. If however you are passionate about Buckskin and its people then stand as an independent.
My point about councillors (or MPs for that matter) claiming to represent people they chose not to live amongst is a separate one. It's currently permitted in constitutional law but I would never vote for one.
It's up to the people of Buckskin.
[quote][p][bold]deborah.long14@btint ernet.com[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JJ38JJ[/bold] wrote: If she really is "passionate about local people" shouldn't she be trying to represent Oakley? For me this story represents everything that is wrong with local politics. Her loyalty is primarily to a political party with those that elect her just a means to an end. Councillors should have an address in their ward.[/p][/quote]JJ38JJ and you are?? I feel that I would benefit the people in the Buckskin and Worting ward far more than those in Oakley. The fact that I am passionate about helping people where ever they are from is all that matters! And if I can use a political influence to do that, then all well and good in my book..[/p][/quote]I take your point regarding my anonymity and it's a fair one. However as I'm only asking a question and giving my opinion on the political process I'm comfortable with it. The question has to be why you have to align yourself with a political party whose primary stance is at a national and international level. If you have strong views on Britain's relationship with the EU then stand for a seat in parliament not the Borough Council. If however you are passionate about Buckskin and its people then stand as an independent. My point about councillors (or MPs for that matter) claiming to represent people they chose not to live amongst is a separate one. It's currently permitted in constitutional law but I would never vote for one. It's up to the people of Buckskin. JJ38JJ
  • Score: 9

12:03pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Ambivalent says...

Though I think it's good that any councillor or MP lives in the area they represent, I'd rather have someone who at least lives in the 'area', but most importantly who is passionate about representing the people, be that locally or in the area. We have too few councillors and politicians who have any passion (unless it's a passion for expenses and self gratification) and fail to recognise that their role is to represent ALL the people. Good luck to Debbie, she clearly believes in causes close to her heart and is prepared to try and do something about it. Is it that important to live in the area? I recall a guy, Stephen Reid who years ago stood in Basingstoke, didn't get far, then later cropped up standing in Eastleigh and then later in Reading. To me this smacks of a career politician rather than someone passionate about representing the people. It seems all to often people enter politics for the wrong reasons. Debbie appears to be doing it for the right reasons.
I hope Debbie does well in representing the people, we need more like her,
and I speak as a mostly lifelong Conservative voter, but given Maria Miller's passion for expenses, I'm more inclined to vote UKIP, they may seem a bit crazy at times, but I do believe they have passion and represent the people.
Though I think it's good that any councillor or MP lives in the area they represent, I'd rather have someone who at least lives in the 'area', but most importantly who is passionate about representing the people, be that locally or in the area. We have too few councillors and politicians who have any passion (unless it's a passion for expenses and self gratification) and fail to recognise that their role is to represent ALL the people. Good luck to Debbie, she clearly believes in causes close to her heart and is prepared to try and do something about it. Is it that important to live in the area? I recall a guy, Stephen Reid who years ago stood in Basingstoke, didn't get far, then later cropped up standing in Eastleigh and then later in Reading. To me this smacks of a career politician rather than someone passionate about representing the people. It seems all to often people enter politics for the wrong reasons. Debbie appears to be doing it for the right reasons. I hope Debbie does well in representing the people, we need more like her, and I speak as a mostly lifelong Conservative voter, but given Maria Miller's passion for expenses, I'm more inclined to vote UKIP, they may seem a bit crazy at times, but I do believe they have passion and represent the people. Ambivalent
  • Score: -4

8:11am Mon 24 Feb 14

JJ38JJ says...

That doesn't explain why she doesn't want to represent Oakley. I suspect she knows she has more chance of winning in Buckskin. That makes her no better than Mr Reid.
That doesn't explain why she doesn't want to represent Oakley. I suspect she knows she has more chance of winning in Buckskin. That makes her no better than Mr Reid. JJ38JJ
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree