A BASINGSTOKE man has been jailed and faces possible deportation after he started dealing drugs to pay off his own drug debts.

Winchester Crown Court heard that Binod Gurung had fallen into debt with his own supplier, and was “terrified” of the consequences if he refused to clear his debts through dealing.

He was first arrested on another matter on August 4 last year and incriminating text messages linking him to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin were found by police on his phone.

Under questioning, the 25-year-old admitted being involved in the supply of the drugs but claimed he had been involved for only four days.

He was released on bail, but was arrested once more on November 22 when the car he was travelling in was stopped by police officers in Basing-stoke after travelling down from London.

The vehicle was searched and as Gurung, of Knight Street, was about to be searched, he told the police he had a quantity of drugs secreted on his person.

When he was searched, 18 wraps of heroin were found – around 0.3 grams – with a street value of around £450. His fellow passenger was found with eight wraps of crack cocaine which had been given to him by Gurung, and the driver was also found with a wrap of crack cocaine.

Gurung, who has no previous convictions, has two previous cautions – for shoplifting in 2009 and for possession of cannabis in 2011. He had also been issued with two penalty notices for possession of cannabis in 2010 and 2012.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply.

Defending Gurung, Stuart Western said that a jail sentence of more than one year could mean that Gurung, who is not a British citizen, could be deported back to Nepal.

Gurung, who has been in the country since 2006, had previously been granted indefinite leave to remain in the country.

Mr Western said: “This has been his first period in custody and it has been a big shock to him.”

He added that Gurung had become involved in supplying drugs after falling into debt with his own dealer. He said Gurung had not wanted to become involved in dealing but had been “terrified” of the consequences if he did not acquiesce.

Judge John Williams sentenced Gurung to a total of 36 months imprisonment. He told him “Eighteen days before you were due to come to this court (for sentence after the first offence), you committed the same offence in more serious terms.”