THERE’S been water, water everywhere as the Basingstoke area has continued to be hit by flooding problems following a very wet start to 2014.

The poor weather that lashed the South over the Christmas period carried on into the New Year, flooding roads and bringing down more trees.

On Monday, 20mm of rain fell in the county, and a further 30mm was expected to fall by the end of yesterday evening.

Last Saturday, a motorist had to abandon a BMW car after becoming stuck in flood water under the railway bridge in Milkingpen Lane.

Tony Tuck, who took a picture of the stranded car, said it was the third time since Christmas that a car had been abandoned in the flood under the railway bridge.

Mr Tuck, from Old Basing, said: “The depth of water is quite deceptive. Being a railway arch, the road drops down to cater for larger vans. It has been an issue before.”

The lane was not the only place in the borough to fall foul of flooding.

The Household Waste Recycling Centre, in Wade Road, Daneshill, closed on Sunday and Monday when the entrance flooded. Motorists using Wade Road were redirected via Stroudley Road.

And St Andrew’s Medical Centre, in Western Way, South Ham, could only take emergency appointments on Monday after the building’s foyer flooded.

Jackie Caswell, area manager for the Aspire dental surgery on the building’s first floor, said the flooding was caused by a leak from a pipe in one of the surgery rooms.

Drivers also had to take care getting through a flooded section of Pinkerton Road, which runs next to the medical centre.

Other local roads that were affected by flooding included Union Lane, in Kingsclere, Olivers Lane, in Bramley, and Monk Sherborne Road, Monk Sherborne.

Councillor Seán Woodward, executive member for economy, transport and environment at Hampshire County Council, said extra emergency crews were on standby to deal with water on the roads and blocked gullies.

He added: “Priority has had to be given to fixing problems on the main routes. While some minor roads are still affected, teams are aware of issues on these routes and will attend to them as soon as resources permit.

“With such large numbers of incidents, it may take some weeks to clear up, and we are asking people to bear with us during this extremely busy period.”