Campaign to save Oakridge playing field from 190 new homes

Basingstoke Gazette: Laura Kimber protests with fellow residents Buy this photo » Laura Kimber protests with fellow residents

CAMPAIGNERS came together to protest against a regeneration scheme that would see residents lose part of a playing field in a Basingstoke suburb.

More than 30 people turned up at the Silvester Close play area, in Oakridge, to register their opposition to a plan by Sentinel Housing Association to build on land used by dog-walkers and by children playing football.

As reported in The Gazette, Basingstoke-based Sentinel will demolish 90 maisonettes and flats in Freemantle, Taverner and Westray Close, in Oakridge, and replace them with 190 new homes.

Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council has given away five hectares of land to support the scheme.

But some residents fear building on the land will lead to more anti-social behaviour.

Helen Miller, 30, of Silvester Close, said her four children either use, or will use, the green space to play on.

She told The Gazette: “By not providing somewhere for children to play, it is going to encourage anti-social behaviour. Our garden is not big enough for our children to play football, so where are they going to go?”

Laura Kimber, also of Silvester Close, organised the protest, and she has encouraged people to send their objections to the borough council.

The 52-year-old said: “I feel strongly about it and so do quite a few other people. We use the area every morning to walk our two dogs. I look out of my window, and after school, there will be 20 kids there. The older residents use it as a meeting place.

“I don’t think one person here wants to stop the development, but we don’t want to lose the play area.”

Mike Shepherd, development and regeneration director at Sentinel, said residents had the chance to contribute to the plans during four community consultations held between September 2011 and July 2012.

He added: “Our proposed design, which took into account feedback received from local residents and input from the residents’ design team, retains a large central area of mixed play space which now benefits from being overlooked by new housing.”

Should planning permission be granted, work is expected to start by next May and it would finish by March 2015, providing more affordable housing.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:36pm Sat 24 Nov 12

BugBear says...

They won't be happy until they have built on every bit of spare green space they can, what kind of society and country are we creating? Seems we have lost our way and these people who make such drastic and irreversible changes to our lives need to go back and study 'The Beveridge Report' of 1942 and the importance placed on giving people breathing space.
They won't be happy until they have built on every bit of spare green space they can, what kind of society and country are we creating? Seems we have lost our way and these people who make such drastic and irreversible changes to our lives need to go back and study 'The Beveridge Report' of 1942 and the importance placed on giving people breathing space. BugBear

9:45pm Sun 25 Nov 12

Best_Name_Ever says...

Has anyone actually looked at the plans? From looking on the councils website, a huge amount of this play area is to be retained. More than enough for kids, (who probably have never played football in this field in their life), for them to do so.
Has anyone actually looked at the plans? From looking on the councils website, a huge amount of this play area is to be retained. More than enough for kids, (who probably have never played football in this field in their life), for them to do so. Best_Name_Ever

11:05am Mon 26 Nov 12

cybersheeep says...

Yes thank you I have looked at the plans, and I agree with the campaigners above. The proposed plans will be changing what is currently a large multi use playing field where children can run around to their hearts content, learn to ride a bike, etc, to a few small managed play areas. In my opinion that does not constitute "more than enough" space.
Yes thank you I have looked at the plans, and I agree with the campaigners above. The proposed plans will be changing what is currently a large multi use playing field where children can run around to their hearts content, learn to ride a bike, etc, to a few small managed play areas. In my opinion that does not constitute "more than enough" space. cybersheeep

11:14am Mon 26 Nov 12

jonone says...

Best_Name_Ever wrote:
Has anyone actually looked at the plans? From looking on the councils website, a huge amount of this play area is to be retained. More than enough for kids, (who probably have never played football in this field in their life), for them to do so.
Yes, I have and there will still be a large amount of green space available. Perhaps these ungrateful people would prefer not to have nice new properties built for them and subsidised by those of us mug enough to work our way through life...
[quote][p][bold]Best_Name_Ever[/bold] wrote: Has anyone actually looked at the plans? From looking on the councils website, a huge amount of this play area is to be retained. More than enough for kids, (who probably have never played football in this field in their life), for them to do so.[/p][/quote]Yes, I have and there will still be a large amount of green space available. Perhaps these ungrateful people would prefer not to have nice new properties built for them and subsidised by those of us mug enough to work our way through life... jonone

2:47pm Mon 26 Nov 12

DCSharps says...

As I understood it, that particular area has a reputation for being used by people for dog-fighting. If that is true then who in their right mind would allow their children to play there.
As I understood it, that particular area has a reputation for being used by people for dog-fighting. If that is true then who in their right mind would allow their children to play there. DCSharps

2:47pm Mon 26 Nov 12

DCSharps says...

As I understood it, that particular area has a reputation for being used by people for dog-fighting. If that is true then who in their right mind would allow their children to play there?
As I understood it, that particular area has a reputation for being used by people for dog-fighting. If that is true then who in their right mind would allow their children to play there? DCSharps

2:59pm Mon 26 Nov 12

cybersheeep says...

jonone wrote:
Best_Name_Ever wrote:
Has anyone actually looked at the plans? From looking on the councils website, a huge amount of this play area is to be retained. More than enough for kids, (who probably have never played football in this field in their life), for them to do so.
Yes, I have and there will still be a large amount of green space available. Perhaps these ungrateful people would prefer not to have nice new properties built for them and subsidised by those of us mug enough to work our way through life...
Please do enlighten us all on how you're so sure that all those against this redevelopment are, or will be, living in "nice new properties built for them and subsidised by those of us mug enough to work our way through life..."
[quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Best_Name_Ever[/bold] wrote: Has anyone actually looked at the plans? From looking on the councils website, a huge amount of this play area is to be retained. More than enough for kids, (who probably have never played football in this field in their life), for them to do so.[/p][/quote]Yes, I have and there will still be a large amount of green space available. Perhaps these ungrateful people would prefer not to have nice new properties built for them and subsidised by those of us mug enough to work our way through life...[/p][/quote]Please do enlighten us all on how you're so sure that all those against this redevelopment are, or will be, living in "nice new properties built for them and subsidised by those of us mug enough to work our way through life..." cybersheeep

11:57am Tue 27 Nov 12

jonone says...

cybersheeep wrote:
jonone wrote:
Best_Name_Ever wrote: Has anyone actually looked at the plans? From looking on the councils website, a huge amount of this play area is to be retained. More than enough for kids, (who probably have never played football in this field in their life), for them to do so.
Yes, I have and there will still be a large amount of green space available. Perhaps these ungrateful people would prefer not to have nice new properties built for them and subsidised by those of us mug enough to work our way through life...
Please do enlighten us all on how you're so sure that all those against this redevelopment are, or will be, living in "nice new properties built for them and subsidised by those of us mug enough to work our way through life..."
Well, whoever lives in the current maisonettes will most likely get a new property here or elsewhere, and I can only go off the fact that Silvester Close, for example, contains Sentinel Housing!!
[quote][p][bold]cybersheeep[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jonone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Best_Name_Ever[/bold] wrote: Has anyone actually looked at the plans? From looking on the councils website, a huge amount of this play area is to be retained. More than enough for kids, (who probably have never played football in this field in their life), for them to do so.[/p][/quote]Yes, I have and there will still be a large amount of green space available. Perhaps these ungrateful people would prefer not to have nice new properties built for them and subsidised by those of us mug enough to work our way through life...[/p][/quote]Please do enlighten us all on how you're so sure that all those against this redevelopment are, or will be, living in "nice new properties built for them and subsidised by those of us mug enough to work our way through life..."[/p][/quote]Well, whoever lives in the current maisonettes will most likely get a new property here or elsewhere, and I can only go off the fact that Silvester Close, for example, contains Sentinel Housing!! jonone

7:13pm Thu 29 Nov 12

BugBear says...

DCSharps wrote:
As I understood it, that particular area has a reputation for being used by people for dog-fighting. If that is true then who in their right mind would allow their children to play there?
That's interesting, I didn't know about the dog fighting but had heard the rumours about devil worship on the nights of a full moon and Morris Dancers holding late night raves for multi-fag smoking, latest tv mobile owning chavs in counterfeit designer sportswear and Burberry caps and bling.
[quote][p][bold]DCSharps[/bold] wrote: As I understood it, that particular area has a reputation for being used by people for dog-fighting. If that is true then who in their right mind would allow their children to play there?[/p][/quote]That's interesting, I didn't know about the dog fighting but had heard the rumours about devil worship on the nights of a full moon and Morris Dancers holding late night raves for multi-fag smoking, latest tv mobile owning chavs in counterfeit designer sportswear and Burberry caps and bling. BugBear

10:33pm Thu 29 Nov 12

Marina Morris says...

Am I right that displaced tenants from the places that are demolished are paid a thousand quid for each year of their tenancy to help them set up in their brand new house? Just repeating what I was told about people who were moved from the old Maldive Road flats when they were knocked down and given brand new houses at Park Prewett.
Am I right that displaced tenants from the places that are demolished are paid a thousand quid for each year of their tenancy to help them set up in their brand new house? Just repeating what I was told about people who were moved from the old Maldive Road flats when they were knocked down and given brand new houses at Park Prewett. Marina Morris

9:20pm Tue 11 Dec 12

buggerluggs says...

Must have missed the devil worshippers, but i joined in with the morris dancers, great fun. Can't say I have seen any dog fighting though. I understood that 5 grand is paid for 'disturbance' no wonder people want to move. I would too for 5k. Wonder if tax is paid on this handout?
Must have missed the devil worshippers, but i joined in with the morris dancers, great fun. Can't say I have seen any dog fighting though. I understood that 5 grand is paid for 'disturbance' no wonder people want to move. I would too for 5k. Wonder if tax is paid on this handout? buggerluggs

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree